cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed never reaching guaranteed

Emma3

Speed never reaching guaranteed

Hi,

My broadband speed has never reached guaranteed speeds.

I moved my connection from my old place to the new and renewed my contract with plusnet at the same time. Since moving in I had never had a connection close to my guaranteed speed, it was only now when looking to see if I can upgrade as speed as always been a annoyance that I noticed that I was apparently paying for fibre with a guaranteed speed of 11mbps.

From my memory my connection would normally be around 6.5mbps though at the moment it reading 8.80 on my router.

I had problems with my connection when first moving here it would drop out several times a day but I changed the Plus hub one to a bt hub 6 and it fixed the issue. Though the speed stayed the same. Since then there have been no real issues the connection is stable doesn't tend to drop and latency is very low and pretty consistant.

From the current router readout:

Spoiler
DSL uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours 18 Minutes 28 Seconds

Data rate:

2.10 Mbps / 8.80 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

2104 / 11755

Noise margin:

6 dB / 9.1 dB

Line attenuation:

42.6 dB

Signal attenuation:

36.5 dB / 42.6 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

The connection was 6.6mbps before restarted. The router is rarely restarted and does not increase in speed being on for longer, but has been turned off and on enough to know that restarting does not normally increase connection speed.

I thought I was on adsl because of line attenuation but I definitely pay for unlimited fibre and have had the same package for over 6 months.

On bt whole sale speed test I am 35 ms 7.64 mbps 2.35 mbps.

Also can anyone tell me why online chat support does not work, for medical reasons a phone number is useless to me.

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Speed never reaching guaranteed

@Emma3  Welcomr to the forum.

At 9.1 dB your SNR is quite high. Have you checked your phone background noise by plugging a wired phone in, ringing 17070 and selecting Option 2, the quiet line test? If there's any background noise you should report a phone, not broadband, fault.

The other test is to take the front off the BT master socket, you may need to remove two screws. Inside the box is the test socket. Plug a filter in here and connect your hub. Check if there's any improvement.

Let us know how you get on.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Emma3

I tried the test socket, and as shown below it made no difference to the noise margin.

6 dB / 9.2 dB

Unfortunately I don't own a telephone to try out a quiet test.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Emma3 

It's always useful to have a phone in the back of the cupboard for testing and emergencies. They are not expensive, see  https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7187407.

It could be that when you were having drops that your line got banded. Hopefully a Plusnet staffer will come along and check this for you.

The other thing is to make sure that your hub remains connected as drops can cause the SNR to increase. Even if the line does not become banded it can take a long time for the auto correction system to reduce the SNR again. Ideally on a decent line this should be near to 3dB

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Emma3

The speed does not seem to be changing if it is banded then it is locked because I checked it at 8 days uptime and had no change data rate. I was going to wait till 10 days uptime before reposting but unfortunately it seems to have reset at just before getting there my noise margin did not change more then 0.3 when checking but has gone down since the uptime has reset.

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 19 Hours 26 Minutes 9 Seconds
Data rate:

2.04 Mbps / 8.80 Mbps
Maximum data rate:

2043 / 10578
Noise margin:

5.7 dB / 7.3 dB
Line attenuation:

42.8 dB
Signal attenuation:

36.6 dB / 42.8 dB

I will turn power off router and back on and edit this post after to see if change as uptime is already reset.

After reset nothing has changed except the upload has gotta slower:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours 2 Minutes 4 Seconds
Data rate:

1.93 Mbps / 8.80 Mbps
Maximum data rate:

1932 / 10929
Noise margin:

6 dB / 7.9 dB
Line attenuation:

42.8 dB
Signal attenuation:

36.6 dB / 42.8 dB

Is there a way to get the line unbanded so that I can see if it possible to reach guaranteed speed now that the line is stable?

Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Hi @Emma3

I am sorry to hear about problems with your broadband. I have tested your line, there is Bridge Tap and Cross Talk detected - both of them may affect speed.

On top of this line is banded as suspected earlier but current sync speed is below banded profile. In meantime, can you please leave your router connected into test socket and raise fault?

Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net.

Please accept apologies for this inconvenience.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Emma3 

Hi

Looking at your attenuation you are either a long way from the cabinet, or there is a problem with the line.

As a comparison my attenuation is 32db and my distance by GEA test is 1500m, confirmed by physically mapping the route.

If there is not a fault then you (and me) are outside the 1000m limit where vdsl speeds are comparable or worse than adsl speeds (as quoted in the Huawei dslam documentation).

For me adsl was 17Mbs, vdsl is 22Mbs.

This is probably due to the misplacing of the cabinet under the BDUK public funded scheme, usually carried out by the County Council in conjunction with Openreach.

When you get the line sorted, request GEA test via a ticket or the community, then if its less than 10Mbs sync speed (not a speed test speed) there is a scheme for sub 10Mbs broadband, here is some info

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/06/ofcom-set-march-2020-launch-for-10mbps-uk-broadband-us...