cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed much below promised on new connection

Gigabit
Hooked

Speed much below promised on new connection

First of all, I understand it is a difficult time for all and there are customers much more in need of help than me, so please do not treat this as a priority issue.

I ordered Fibre Extra and was told the minimum guaranteed speed would be 67.3Mbps.

The current line speed is 23.6Mbps, which is obviously far below that. I understand the 14 day training period but my experience of multiple FTTC connections tells me there is simply no conceivable way the speed is going to increase over 40Mbps in 14 days.

Therefore, is it possible for somebody to look into this and confirm what the issue might be? With the coronavirus it's clearly a difficult time to have engineers etc around so I was hoping if you are unable to resolve the issue soon/remotely, you might let me out of the contract.

I hope to talk to hear from you soon.

6 REPLIES 6
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Speed much below promised on new connection

@Gigabit wrote: I ordered Fibre Extra and was told the minimum guaranteed speed would be 67.3Mbps.

The current line speed is 23.6Mbps, which is obviously far below that. I understand the 14 day training period but my experience of multiple FTTC connections tells me there is simply no conceivable way the speed is going to increase over 40Mbps in 14 days.

What does it say here?   It will tell you what range your speed should be in. How are you testing? WiFi or wired (direct to the test socket?) If your speeds are that low, have you got another router to see if things improve - one reason I tend to always have at least one other router/ modem to hand to try with - eliminates internal wiring/equipment problems. If you get the same result after trying that, it would suggest there is a problem outside. Raise a fault, although strange times about. When it'll get fixed, who knows.

From my own experience, while speeds might go up or down during the 'training' period, they tend to start off around the level that you'll eventually stay. And with DLM, its a continuous 24/7 process. Even after the training period, if the DLM decided to take your speed higher or lower, that is what it will do.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Gigabit
Hooked

VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 79 20 19 74 Available Available --  
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 78.1 20 19 72.2 Available Available --

That is from Plusnet but the IP profile is around there too, tested over a wired connection.

You can see it is much below where it should be.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

I'd do the rest, try another router etc but over the years the only time I've gone very low was when I had an external fault. Last time they ended up replacing the wire coming across off the pole. No doubt a staff member will pick up your problem and do some tests. At least you do have a connection of sorts. 😁

BTW towards the bottom, is there any value displayed in the observed speed section?

like:

Observed Speeds

VDSL

Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps) 76.01          
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps) 20          
Observed Date 2020-02-08  

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Gigabit
Hooked

Is anyone from Plusnet able to assist me please?

Gigabit
Hooked

Not to worry, I have managed to resolve it over the phone.

Stay safe, many thanks.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Pleased it's sorted and apologies for not being in touch previously.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team