Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed lower than Plusnet estimate and BT DSL Checker estimate

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Speed lower than Plusnet estimate and BT DSL Checker estimate

Although as it's not even reaching the top of the 60Mb band, increasing that upper limit to 80Mb should not make any difference.

If it gets reset, it'll probably start off with interleaving which would likely make the speed even lower.

vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Speed lower than Plusnet and BT Estimate

@ejs wrote:

I doubt you would be close enough to the cabinet to even get G.fast.

"increase the speed from the port in the cabinet" is nonsense. The port in the cabinet and your modem analyse your line and the conditions and between them they work out the best speed they can manage.

Either there is no next step, or you get yourself some slightly better modem which might give you a couple more Mbps, or you go down the route of continually badgering Openreach with another 5 or so visits

That is a valid point, having read a little about G.Fast.

He definitely explained it like that, even listed off the different speeds the "ports" as he called them run at.  Sadly I cannot remember the speeds he listed off. 

I know some people say that is can help a little if chipset in modem/router  and cab match.  Having already been using Openreach HG612 and now Plusnet Hub One with little difference between the two I am not sure if another modem/router will garner any worthwhile increase.  If an alternative could be had for £20 to £30 then I might be tempted.

Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I'm sorry to see that your speeds are still below the estimates for your connection and below the Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed.

As such we would not impose early termination fees (If applicable) if you would like to leave due to this, however I'm sorry to say there would be no further action we can take at this time to provide faster speeds on your connection.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
vultura
Rising Star

@HarryB wrote:

I'm sorry to see that your speeds are still below the estimates for your connection and below the Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed.

As such we would not impose early termination fees (If applicable) if you would like to leave due to this.

That is not the response I had hoped for Harry and is disappointing to hear.

You will be aware that there is little point in moving to another provider using Openreach infrastructure as the problem will still be there regardless of who the bill is paid to.

vultura
Rising Star

@ejs wrote:

Either there is no next step, or you get yourself some slightly better modem which might give you a couple more Mbps, or you go down the route of continually badgering Openreach with another 5 or so visits until you get them to start swapping about sections of you line to see if they can find a better one.

@ejs - Any recommendations for modems or modem/routers to try that might help?  I assume one with Broadcom chipset will be preferred?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Zyxel VMG8324-B10A, VMG8924-B10A or VMG1312-B10A are probably the preferred models for people who want the best modem and one that provides detailed line stats.

Anything else with a BCM 63168 chip should be slightly better than the HG612 (which has the older BCM 6368 ). That includes the BT HomeHub 5B, which might be quite cheap.

vultura
Rising Star

@ejs wrote:

VMG8324-B10A, VMG8924-B10A or VMG1312-B10A are probably the preferred models for people who want the best modem and one that provides detailed line stats.

Anything else with a BCM 63168 chip should be slightly better than the HG612. That includes the BT HomeHub 5B, which might be quite cheap.

@ejs thanks for the info.

Prior to posting I had already seen decent feedback on the 8924-B10A and so had bagged one from that infamous auction site.

Will install that and see if it improves or makes things worse.  Will report back in due course.