Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed lower than Plusnet estimate and BT DSL Checker estimate

vultura
Grafter

Speed lower than Plusnet estimate and BT DSL Checker estimate

HI all.

Have been with PN for some years and this is not a new Fibre 80/20 install.

Within the last few months I noticed that file download speed from internet was slower than it had been previously, achieving maybe 5MBs or so, where in the past it was usually 6MBs or higher.

Running tests via speedtest.net it looked like something wasn't quite right, but I put it down to a temporary gremlin, as I know things happen from time to time.

Things haven't improved (admittedly no worse either) and so I am checking things out where I can. 

According to PN own member centre estimate -

Estimated line speed:74Mb (This may vary between 56.3Mb and 74.5Mb) - Checked on 2016-07-30 19:52:00

BT DSL Checker -

AvailabilityResults.jpg

But sadly the reality is -

Current line speed:47.4 Mb

speedtest 10102016.jpg

Now is there a reason for this drop in speed and profile?  If memory serves I seems to have dropped a fair bit.

I have replaced the standard DSL cable linking the ECI modem to master socket with a shielded 0.5m adslnation one from Tandy online, as users report they resolve some issues and are neater.

Today I have taken delivery of a HG612 modem from "that" auction site and have spent a few minutes unlocking that to get access to the stats if needed.  I have not replaced the ECI yet though, don't want make things worse by re-syncing without good reason.

As best I can work out the cabinet is an ECI one, if that makes any difference.

So, where do I go from here and is there better time of day to re-sync the modem?

Thanks for reading.

7 REPLIES
MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

Re: Speed lower than Plusnet estimate and BT DSL Checker estimate

Hi there,

I have tested your line and your speeds are definitely below what we'd expect. Presuming that you've checked for any issues within your own realms, then it'd be best to raise at http://faults.plus.net. Let me know once it's raised, and I'll ensure that the best eyes look at it.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
vultura
Grafter

Thanks for reply Matty.

Nothing much has been changed internally, router is the same Asus RT-N66U that has been in use for well over a year.

No new phones or extensions added.  Purchased a new corded handset today, in order to listen for noise on the line as I could hear crackling on the existing handset.  Looks like the old handset was the cause of that.  Will monitor though for a while to be sure.

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 162

You should find that if the phone was the cause of the issue then the speed will increase over time. Let us know how it goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
vultura
Grafter

Thanks for reply Chris.

Yesterday I re-connected the old handset in one socket and the new one in another downstairs.  LIstening through the new one there wasn't a crackle to be heard, so I think that's a red herring.

BST
Grafter

Have you swapped the ECI for the HG612 yet?
I am interested to see how you get on as my estimates and real life results are similar (just a few mb/s higher) to yours.
vultura
Grafter

BST wrote:
Have you swapped the ECI for the HG612 yet?

I haven't to be fair. 

Was waiting to see if anyone came up with a simple fixes before I go altering things and possibly causing issues with the ogre DLM.  In addition to that I see to recall somewhere reading that ideally the modem and cab should be from same manufacturer for best sync.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

vultura
Grafter

Thread resurrection/update

I did swap the modems over after a week or two, but did not notice any difference.

Doing more digging around at end of 2017 I was reading someplace about mains noise affecting modems/routers and thought I'd try filtering the Openreach modem.  So off to that auction site and purchased a Mainstrab plug-in filter.

With that installed the line speed appeared to increase by a single figure %, but hey it was something.  Download speeds improved, but not back to where they used to be.