Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed lower than Plusnet estimate and BT DSL Checker estimate

vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Speed lower than Plusnet estimate and BT DSL Checker estimate

HI all.

Have been with PN for some years and this is not a new Fibre 80/20 install.

Within the last few months I noticed that file download speed from internet was slower than it had been previously, achieving maybe 5MBs or so, where in the past it was usually 6MBs or higher.

Running tests via speedtest.net it looked like something wasn't quite right, but I put it down to a temporary gremlin, as I know things happen from time to time.

Things haven't improved (admittedly no worse either) and so I am checking things out where I can. 

According to PN own member centre estimate -

Estimated line speed:74Mb (This may vary between 56.3Mb and 74.5Mb) - Checked on 2016-07-30 19:52:00

BT DSL Checker -

AvailabilityResults.jpg

But sadly the reality is -

Current line speed:47.4 Mb

speedtest 10102016.jpg

Now is there a reason for this drop in speed and profile?  If memory serves I seems to have dropped a fair bit.

I have replaced the standard DSL cable linking the ECI modem to master socket with a shielded 0.5m adslnation one from Tandy online, as users report they resolve some issues and are neater.

Today I have taken delivery of a HG612 modem from "that" auction site and have spent a few minutes unlocking that to get access to the stats if needed.  I have not replaced the ECI yet though, don't want make things worse by re-syncing without good reason.

As best I can work out the cabinet is an ECI one, if that makes any difference.

So, where do I go from here and is there better time of day to re-sync the modem?

Thanks for reading.

Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
51 REPLIES 51
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Speed lower than Plusnet estimate and BT DSL Checker estimate

Hi there,

I have tested your line and your speeds are definitely below what we'd expect. Presuming that you've checked for any issues within your own realms, then it'd be best to raise at http://faults.plus.net. Let me know once it's raised, and I'll ensure that the best eyes look at it.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
vultura
Rising Star

Thanks for reply Matty.

Nothing much has been changed internally, router is the same Asus RT-N66U that has been in use for well over a year.

No new phones or extensions added.  Purchased a new corded handset today, in order to listen for noise on the line as I could hear crackling on the existing handset.  Looks like the old handset was the cause of that.  Will monitor though for a while to be sure.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

You should find that if the phone was the cause of the issue then the speed will increase over time. Let us know how it goes.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
vultura
Rising Star

Thanks for reply Chris.

Yesterday I re-connected the old handset in one socket and the new one in another downstairs.  LIstening through the new one there wasn't a crackle to be heard, so I think that's a red herring.

BST
Grafter

Have you swapped the ECI for the HG612 yet?
I am interested to see how you get on as my estimates and real life results are similar (just a few mb/s higher) to yours.
vultura
Rising Star

@BST wrote:
Have you swapped the ECI for the HG612 yet?

I haven't to be fair. 

Was waiting to see if anyone came up with a simple fixes before I go altering things and possibly causing issues with the ogre DLM.  In addition to that I see to recall somewhere reading that ideally the modem and cab should be from same manufacturer for best sync.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

vultura
Rising Star

Thread resurrection/update

I did swap the modems over after a week or two, but did not notice any difference.

Doing more digging around at end of 2017 I was reading someplace about mains noise affecting modems/routers and thought I'd try filtering the Openreach modem.  So off to that auction site and purchased a Mainstrab plug-in filter.

With that installed the line speed appeared to increase by a single figure %, but hey it was something.  Download speeds improved, but not back to where they used to be.

vultura
Rising Star

Speed lower than Plusnet and BT Estimate

I have posted about this previously in a now years old thread (https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Speed-lower-than-Plusnet-estimate-and-BT-DSL-Checker-e...).

However the BT estimate seems to have changed of late and I have wondered if something can be done to improve things?  I understand that DLM resets can be requested now, something that was not an option before.

Estimated line speed:73Mb (This may vary between 54Mb and 73Mb) - Checked on 2017-10-22 17:47:15

Current line speed:50.8 Mb

BT Estimate Dec 2018.jpg

Equipment still the same as previous thread.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Speed lower than Plusnet and BT Estimate

Why confuse issues by starting a new thread? 

Did you report a fault as suggested over two years ago? Has it been poor fot all this time?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

vultura
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Why confuse issues by starting a new thread? 

Simple answer, no option to reply to previous thread.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Did you report a fault as suggested over two years ago? Has it been poor fot all this time?

Not sure why you could not add to your original thread, but giving some more details, and answering these questions would help provide some possible solutions.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

Two threads merged and the original one unlocked to keep all relevant information in one place.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
vultura
Rising Star

Thank you dvorak.

In answer to the questions from baldrick1.

I think I did raise a fault ticket and no external issue was found.

Yes, it has remained the same.  The only improvement coming from the introduction of a mains filter between the 13a socket and the Openreach modem PSU.

Would a newer vDSL modem improve things?  Is there anything else I can try?

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak): Full quote of preceding post removed as per the forum rules

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

I suggest that you start again from scratch. Try the following:

1. Take the front off the BT Master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the Test socket. Plug a wired phone with no microfilter or router in to the test socket. Do a quiet line test by ringing 17070 and selecting Option 2. If there is any noise on the line then report a phone fault to whoever supplies your phone service, which might not be Plusnet. You will never have decent broadband until this is rectified.

2. If Test 1 is OK then plug a microfilter into the Test socket and connect your router via the supplied Ethernet cable. Connect your computer directly to the router via an Ethernet cable and run a speedtest. Ideally use the BTw tester  http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/. Be aware that this can give unreliable results with some browsers but is known to work using Microsoft's Internet Explorer or Edge browsers. If the speed is low then go onto the further diagnostics and complete these tests. These are recorded and Plusnet can see them.

Try these tests and let us know how you get on. If they show a slow connection then it's not a fault with your internal set up. It's unlikely that a new modem will improve the basic connection significantly.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'