cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed loss

champ388
Grafter

Re: Speed loss

Ran a wired speed test and had about 58Mb down and 11.5Mb up. Not much difference in the results via wired and wireless. Consistently had 63.5Mb down and 12Mb up previously via wireless.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @champ388 

Thanks for getting back to me. 

58Mbps is still well within the 42-62Mbps Estimated Speed Range which our supplier has provided for your line. It's also above the minimum guaranteed access line speed of 39.8Mbps which was provided to your at the point of sale. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

champ388
Grafter

I thought to reply to this thread rather than start a new one. My connection hasn't quite been the same since whatever work was done in the cabinet; sometimes I'll be watching a 4K video on YouTube when it'll start buffering part way through the clip and won't resume playback, but if I rewind the video by a minute or so and resume play then it'll continue to play without any problems. I've not had this issue previously.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @champ388

Checking from this side everything is looking spot on to the router with barely any drops and no signs of errors.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 65.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 11.5 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 649.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence ; 00:00 to 23:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 14
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-05-07T11:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 68.6 Mbps 69.9 Mbps 69.8 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 11.5 Mbps 11.7 Mbps 11.7 Mbps
Up Time 794.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-05-20T09:27:49Z 2019-05-20T09:42:49Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Are you connected through a wired or wireless connection? Does it happen on one device or more?

If you are connected through wireless, Please see if the same issue occurs with an Ethernet cable plugged in. If it does, then I would personally be leaning towards wireless interference as this is the most common cause when everything is looking spot on between our side and the router and especially if you solely see the issue happening when using wireless devices and not so much wired connections.

I'd recommend following the steps below on how to best optimise the wireless to suite your property which should improve things for you.

What we need to change are a couple of settings on the Wireless page of your router's menu. What we are doing is often called 'splitting the networks'.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection. Once this is changed, we will need to keep an eye on it for a day or 2 to see if the issue continues. If it does, the next step would be to change the wireless channel. Keeping in mind the original 2.4Ghz unchanged name network connection would be the best to connect your devices to for a stronger signal.

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and try to change the channel again if you see little or no improvement.

Let us know how it goes please.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
champ388
Grafter

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The issue I described mainly affects my smart TV which is connected using a wired connection. It happened earlier again today; was watching a video on YouTube and then it started buffering and wouldn't resume play. I've also experienced slow buffering with my smartphone. Coincidentally, I've only experienced issues since work was carried out to the cabinet I'm connected to.

I've tried switching between my BT Smarthub and Plusnet routers, and connecting to the master socket.

Even though my smart TV is connected using a wired connection, would you still recommend splitting the networks?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us no worries about the delay.

Based on what you've said that you're experiencing a speed drop over a wired connection, I'd say that reporting a fault and arranging an engineer is the next way to go, however as our testing hasn't identified any issues with your service to investigate further please connect your computer/laptop to the router with an ethernet cable and run the BT Speedtester service.

I'd ensure that you have no other programs running at the same time such as streaming, general browsing and the most common one is antivirus programs downloading updates in the background.

Once the initial result is completed please click Further Diagnostics then type your phone number in and click run diagnostic test. This will run a test and send the results to the BT server for investigation.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
champ388
Grafter

There we go, all done; the results should now be uploaded.

When I first ran the speed test, the download and upload speeds were 57Mb and 8Mb, respectively. Then when I ran the test a second time, the speeds were 61Mb down and 9Mb up. Although on the third test, the speeds dropped a bit.

The problem occurred again last night; I was watching an HD video on YouTube on my smart TV (connected via ethernet) and it started to buffer towards the end. When I rewound the clip by a few seconds and pressed play, it was fine after that. No other devices were using the broadband at the time. It doesn't happen all the time but it's a somewhat common occurrence and it's never happened before.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi Champ,

Based on your speed test results, I'm unsure whether sending an engineer would be the best way forward on this one - there's a real danger that the engineer will attend, find no fault and then you'll be charged for the appointment.

In terms of your streaming issue - do you find that this occurs via any other streaming source (Iplayer, Netflix etc)?

If you find that buffering occurs via a wired connection on multiple devices and multiple streaming services, I'd be more confident raising that as a fault to our suppliers. If it only occurs via YouTube, we'd potentially need to look at an alternative resolution.

Just out of interest, it doesn't look as though a fault has currently been raised to your account - could you reattempt this using this link here if you decide to go down that route?

Best wishes

Dave

champ388
Grafter

The issue hasn't occurred so much recently but does on the very odd occasion. I stream YouTube videos only on my smart TV but I'll also try it on my mobile phone to see if the issue occurs.

My download speed used to be approximately 63Mb but it's since dropped to 56Mb and hasn't changed since. I'm due to recontract with Plusnet and I might change my package to Unlimited Fibre as I don't really see any point in paying the extra for Unlimited Fibre Extra as the speeds I'm currently achieving aren't that much better than what Unlimited Fibre offers, and I'm the only person in the house who uses the broadband. Would Unlimited Fibre be OK for online gaming?

Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Has anyone checked that your not connected to a hot vlan. This sounds like a thoughput issue.
champ388
Grafter

When I switched over from BT last year, someone at Plusnet mentioned I had been connected to a hot VLAN and arranged for an engineer to visit the exchange and move me to a different circuit. I'm hoping the issue I'm having is because of a hot VLAN again.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Our tests aren't showing any congestion at the exchange or issues with the broadband signal coming into your router. Is your Smart TV connected directly into your router using an ethernet cable or things like a switch or powerline adapters?

Have you also been able to try streaming using a different device?

If you want to downgrade to Unlimited Fibre, I don't see any issues you'd have at 40mbps apart from you'd obviously lose around 25mbps of speed so depending on how many devices you use simultaneously you may notice issues.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
champ388
Grafter

My smart TV is connected directly to the router via ethernet - no powerline adaptors.

The issue hasn't occurred since I last mentioned it a couple of weeks ago. I'll try streaming using my smartphone to see if the issue occurs on that.

It's just me using the broadband and so there's only one device streaming at a time; I might stream on my smart TV and browse the Internet on my smartphone but that's about it.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah fair, thanks for the clarification.

It's good to see the issue hasn't occurred again and hopefully it'll stay that way.

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet