cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed loss

champ388
Grafter

Speed loss

Over the past few days I've noticed that the speed of my fibre connection isn't what it used to be. I noticed that apps on my mobile such as Facebook have started to take a lot longer to load content; sometimes content loads instantly and at other times there can be a bit of a wait. I've run a few speed tests over an Ethernet connection and my download and upload speeds have dropped to about 50Mb and 6Mb, respectively, and haven't really gone back to 'normal' since where they used to be about 63.5Mb for download and 12Mb for upload. Would be grateful for any support you can provided.

28 REPLIES 28
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Speed loss

Hi @champ388,

I'm sorry to hear that your speed has dropped. I've tested your line and the test indicates that the line is currently syncing at 59.5mbps down, which is within the estimates of 42.7-61.9mbps. However, the upload speed is 6.3mbps, which is below the estimates of 10.5 - 16.3mbps.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 59.5 Mbps
Upstream Speed 6.3 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 601.7
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 11:00 to 15:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 12
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-02-27T18:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 62.1 Mbps 71.5 Mbps 64.8 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 3.5 Mbps 13.1 Mbps 7.8 Mbps
Up Time 865.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-03-10T08:35:45Z 2019-03-10T08:50:45Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

The test hasn't picked up the cause of the low upload speed, so we'll need to do some troubleshooting to try and narrow this down.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here. If these checks don't resolve the problem, the next step would be to connect your router directly to the test socket, which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the connection stabilises This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. Please see the guide here for instructions on how to connect to the test socket.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
champ388
Grafter

Thanks for getting in touch. I've tried the basic checks and connecting the router (BT Smart Hub) directly to the test socket but unfortunately this didn't provide any improvement. I also tried connecting the Plusnet router (provided when I joined) directly to the test socket but that didn't provide any improvement, either.

As my upload speed has dropped below the estimate, surely this coincides with the drop in download speed?

Out of curiosity, is my issue the same as the one reported on this thread? https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Large-drop-in-speed-on-80-20-Fibre-in-past-week-or-so/...

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Just running speed tests won't show immediate improvements due to the BTW/PN profiles. However if you log into the router and take note of the sync speeds and max attainable speeds that will give you a better idea if it's an internal wiring issue. But even before that, how is your phone line, dial 17070 option 2 - from a corded phone - does it give your number - is the line quiet?
champ388
Grafter

@Mustrum wrote:
Just running speed tests won't show immediate improvements due to the BTW/PN profiles. However if you log into the router and take note of the sync speeds and max attainable speeds that will give you a better idea if it's an internal wiring issue. But even before that, how is your phone line, dial 17070 option 2 - from a corded phone - does it give your number - is the line quiet?

I wasn't aware but thanks for pointing that out. I've tried connecting to the test socket again and took a note of the stats you suggested looking for, and a few more just in case they help:

• Data rate: 6.75 Mbps / 63.70 Mbps
  • Maximum data rate: 6751 / 65571
  • Noise margin: 6.1 dB / 3.2 dB
  • Line attenuation: 19.5 dB
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

How do they compare when you are in the normal position?

Comparing them to the GEA test there is a definite improvement.

champ388
Grafter

Stats with router plugged into normal socket:

• Data rate: 6.45 Mbps / 63.96 Mbps
  • Maximum data rate: 6460 / 66390
  • Noise margin: 6.2 dB / 3.3 dB
  • Line attenuation: 19.5 dB

No changes have been made to the internal wiring and I've not had any issues with speed drops until recently.

champ388
Grafter

Openreach recently carried out some work in the cabinet I'm connected to, and then an unknown contractor (no branding on the van) also did some work in the same cabinet. Seems to be around the time my speeds dropped. Thought it was worth mentioning just in case it's linked to the problem.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us.

As my upload speed has dropped below the estimate, surely this coincides with the drop in download speed?

It's possible though our tests aren't showing the cause for that, so we'd need to book an engineer visit for further investigation. I'd recommend raising a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net so we can arrange this. Feel free to let us know over here once you've reported the fault and we'll be happy to pick it up as soon as we can from over here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
champ388
Grafter

I ran a speed test when I got home this evening and things are looking a lot better - about 60Mb down and 12Mb up. Stats from the router plugged into the main socket:

Data rate: 12.99 Mbps / 70.83 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 13008 / 71790
Noise margin: 6 dB / 2.9 dB
Line attenuation: 19.4 dB

Happy to raise a fault if you think it's still necessary but also happy to monitor things over the next few days.
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @champ388 

Thanks for the update. 

Completely up to you regarding engineer VS monitor. 

What do you want to do? 

Thanks,

MoR

champ388
Grafter

As my speeds are pretty much back to what they were previously, I'm inclined to monitor things over the next few days. I can't really justify engineer involvement now, even though I would like to know what happened and why. I'll see how things go over the next few days and then come back to you with an update. Hopefully there won't be a repeat blip. But really appreciate the offer of requesting engineer involvement.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us.

If the issue returns let us know and we'll re-open the investigation

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
champ388
Grafter

Hi folks. I've monitored things over the past few days and my download speeds haven't returned to normal. Any chance this issue could be looked into?

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Sorry to hear this @champ388

I've ran a GEA test on your circuit and can see that your DL is currently sat at 66.2Mbps. 

Can you let us know what you are getting throughput wise on a wired connection? 

Thanks,

MoR