Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed limited to 55mbps

FIXED
eddielenton
Dabbler

Speed limited to 55mbps

I am hoping I can get some clarification (all speeds referenced are download, all speed tests done over wired connections and router in in master socket).

I used to always get a decent sync speed 65mbps+, this had then dropped down to 59mbps which was below my guaranteed line speed so I raised this with PN, who confirmed a fault (Test Result: Fail - Fault located between DP and customer apparatus (no appointment required)) and booked an Openreach engineer to check things over (that was on the 30th May) . On the 2nd June BT engineer couldn't find any issues, so case went back to PN. 

After hearing nothing from PN I chased them up on the ticket on the 6th June, still no response, tweeted PN on the 8th and was promised an update "shortly". 3 days later on the 11th still nothing, so I chase up on twitter again, this time finally an update on the ticket, they want to send BT engineer to my house to further investigate. I reply the same day with a suitable date (4th July) but after checking my sync speed again see that it has gone back up and is then at 75.58mbps.
So it seems like the sync speed is better but my download speeds whenever I do a speedtest never go above 55mbps. (I know that real world speed test is always lower than sync speed, but 20mbps is a BIG gap). 
A few days later (still no reply from PN on the ticket of course) I see my sync has dropped to 67mbps, yet I still get the exact same real world speed of 55mbps.
So my questions are, have I been put onto the 55mbps profile? Is this a normal speed for my line stats (attached)? Why is PN customer service so terrible at actually replying?

This link says
Estimated line speed:80Mb (This may vary between 69Mb and 80Mb) - Checked on 2017-06-17 21:39:15
Current line speed:58 Mb
34 REPLIES 34
Kimberlin
Rising Star

Re: Spped limited to 55mbps

I have a similar situation in that I know my download is at least capable of 55mbps because in November last year, BT gave me a 'free' speed boost which did actually increase my wired download speed to 55mbps. However, only a few weeks later, it inexplicably dropped back down to a constant steady 47mbps but bizarrely my upload stream increased from roughly 6mbps to almost 15mbps. And so this has continued on my switch over to Plusnet, i.e. absolutely nothing has changed. I'm on the Fibre Extra package and I'm only getting 47mbps and there is nothing wrong with my line or equiment. This to me, seems like an exchange or cabinet issue.

As for Plusnet not replying, I can't complain. Matthew Wheeler responded to me yesterday with a full line analysis and it doesn't throw up any problems. There was also the offer of sending out an engineer, but there is nothing wrong with my line or equipment and I'm not paying for an engineer that you have to wait in all day for, lose a days pay over and then they can't be bothered to show up anyway. So I'm stuck in this situation. I am getting above the guaranteed minimum speed and that is all that will get thrown back at me. Sometimes it's impossible to win. I guess I should be thankful in some ways that I have a rock solid reliable internet connection, it's just a shame it's far short of the 76mbps, which clearly would only be achievable anyway if I was living quite literally next to the exchange, and I'm not.

eddielenton
Dabbler

If BT moved you onto the top fibre profile it comes with better upload speeds. Open reach sell either 40/2, 40/10, 55/10 or 80/20 for FTTC as far as I know.
So if have been put on the 55mbps profile it doesn't really make any sense as I still get real world upload speeds of 18mbps.
Hopefully I'll get more information here.
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Pedant alert! "Open reach sell".

No, that would be BT Wholesale.Wink

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Fix

@eddielenton, give things another go. I've kicked your profile this side. You should find your speeds are a lot healthier now.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

eddielenton
Dabbler

That seems better!

Sync is 67.05 Mbps

Speed test is 61.89Mbps

Thanks! Clearly posting on here is the quickest way to get things resolved. Just a shame that tickets get ignored for days and days and the live chat still doesn't work!

eddielenton
Dabbler

It has been up and down since the profile got kicked, and the BT engineer has since been and (with my blessing) bypassed one of the phone sockets and move the master downstairs.

Unfortunately looks like the line is still fairly unstable in its sync speed. Right now I am only getting 53mbps.

Downstream: 53.07 Mbps
Upstream: 17.11 Mbps
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @eddielenton 

It's great to hear that the engineer has done this. 

I can see that your tests results mirror what we are getting on our GEA tests.

Can I please ask a a question regarding your set up now the relocation has happened? 

Are you currently connected to your Master Socket's Faceplate, or to the internal test socket behind there? I would be interested in seeing the speeds once you are connected to the internal socket. A guide on how to locate your test socket can be fount here.

Sorry if this seems like a basic test / you are currently set up like this - it's just vital we know this information for our diagnostic testing. 

Thanks  

eddielenton
Dabbler

Hi @MasterOfReality

The master socket is an NTE5a with adsl filter plate, so I am not sure that doing anything from the test socket with an separate microfilter is going to be any better, but I've just taken off the front and connected the microfilter to the internal test socket.

Here's what I am now connected at.

Downstream: 56.9 Mbps
Upstream: 17.17 Mbps

http://dslchecker.bt.com is saying the last test was done on the 22nd June and is saying NTEFaceplate N, does that just need re-testing since the BT guy came on the 23rd?

On a side note, does Plusnet do FTTP? The BT engineer said that the line between my house and the cabinet was all ducted so FTTP should be fairly easy to put in.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@eddielenton

First you must be an existing Plusnet customer

Then, check with BT if you are able to get FTTP using the BT Broadband checker at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome? entering your phone number (Do not use the post code option)
The results will need to look like this

fttpcapture.PNG
If the first line of the "Featured Products" says "WBC FTTP" then you can apply for the trial at http://trials.plus.net/

Finally Plusnet only offer 2 speeds for FTTP, 40Mbps down/10Mbps up or 80Mbps down/20Mbps up. Use BT or another if you want faster.

There is a complete list of all FTTP providers at

Openreach Ultrafast fibre suppliers

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
eddielenton
Dabbler

@SpendLessTime

Thanks for the info, only FTTPoD according to the BT checker, and don't fancy paying through my eyeballs for it, so that's the end of that.

Have to say, what is the point of Plusnet offering FTTP if it's not faster than FTTC?

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@eddielenton

It is a very long trial of whether they want to make it available commercially. And whether it is worth the costs involved to the business (The trial has been going 7 years now).

Originally higher speeds were offered at a higher price but by the time I joined the speeds had been decreased and now they have settled on the same speeds as the FTTC options. And at the same price point. So makes for nice easy billing which is one of Plusnet's biggest issues currently - their billing system is ancient and totally inflexible.

As the number of properties with FTTP increases and as and when Plusnet update their back  office systems, then FTTP may be offered commercially by Plusnet. It needs a critical mass for the company to invest money into computer systems (at all levels) and staff training. And could they do so at a price point less than BT to interest people across to Plusnet.

FTTP prices are not regulated at any speed greater than 40/10 by OFCOM so Openreach and BTW are able to set higher prices to get back the investment spent on the product. If you look at the prices charged by say Zen and BT who offer this commercially, you will see it isn't really cheap. And there isn't a lot of price difference between them.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Ndegwa
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi Eddie, I have reviewed the connection and the phone fault that was previously detected. The issue with the phone is now testing clear however we are now picking up issues on the broadband service that were not detected previously: please see the information below on what has been found:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID *************

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1113
Description Downstream ES and SES have exceeded threshold from real time check. Continue submitting trouble report
Main Fault Location CI
Sync Status Out Of Sync
Downstream Speed 0.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 0.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status Unknown
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Week Days
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 18:45 to 19:00
Interference Location Customer Premise
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-06-14T13:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 53.0 Mbps 75.5 Mbps 64.6 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 17.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 19.0 Mbps
Up Time 274.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 897.6 Sec
Retrains 0.0 4.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-06-27T13:04:35.983+01:00 2018-06-27T13:19:35.983+01:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 1
Errored Seconds 370 0
Severely Errored Seconds 127 0
Unavailable Seconds 99 0

At this time I feel that the performance of your connection maybe due to the issues being detected above. I have updated the ticket on your account here. I will get this raised with the suppliers however I feel that this will probably require an engineer visit to resolve hence needing to get your availability to get this booked in. Please drop us a message on here after providing your availability so that we can get this progressed for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lee Y
 Plusnet Help Team
eddielenton
Dabbler

Thanks, I have replied on to ticket to arrange the engineer.

Would love to know what "Downstream ES and SES have exceeded threshold from real time check." could mean the issue is, if anyone technical has time to explain?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

It means that your line, which was working at a lower speed than expected now has a serious fault and the GEA test has seen a large number of errors and failed completely as the line when tested was showing Out of Sync with up and down speeds of zero.

Is the connection working at all now or is it still failed? I see you had a previous engineer visit who changed the wiring to your phone sockets which didn't really improve anything, in fact made it worse.Sad

Let's hope the next engineer visit gets it properly fixed. They can't really argue that there's no fault  with that failed GEA test.