cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed just fell away while I was browsing.

JahPete
Rising Star

Speed just fell away while I was browsing.

Was browsing on Facebook, when everything went into slow motion. Checked the connection speed and it has dropped to 9 (NINE) Mbps download.... Upload is unaffected. Any reason? Nothing has changed here.....

14 REPLIES 14
JahPete
Rising Star

Re: Speed just fell away while I was browsing.

No improvement this morning..... Still a steady 9 Mbps... 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing speed problems.

I've tested your line today and I can see your router in sync at a line speed of 23.8mbps with 1 drop over the past 5 days. With this in mind, can you confirm if your devices are connecting over WiFi or straight to the router using an ethernet cable?

If you're using WiFi, would you be able to try a wired connection? This will help narrow down where the problem lies. If your connection is OK that way, then it's likely the issue lies with the wireless signal and I'd recommend trying the steps Here.

If you're still having problems, to investigate further please connect your computer/laptop to the router with an ethernet cable and run the BT Speedtester service at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

You must ensure that you have no other programs running at the same time such as streaming, general browsing and the most common one is antivirus programs downloading updates in the background.

Once the initial result is completed please click Further Diagnostics then type your phone number in and click run diagnostic test. This will run a test and send the results to the BT server for investigation.

Once you have completed this, please report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net letting us know over here once you've completed it and we'll make sure it is picked up as soon as possible.

Thanks again.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JahPete
Rising Star

BTW performance test run, which confirmed the low (9Mbps) speed. Plusnet fault raised.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Can you advise whether this was over a wired or wireless connection?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JahPete
Rising Star

Hi,

The router (which sits on top of my PC) is connected by wires to the BT socket, but not wired to the PC.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the confirmation.

Are you able to try a wired connection between your PC and your router?

As per my previous reply this will narrow down where the issue may lie.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JahPete
Rising Star

Connected via ethernet cable and ran the BT test with the same results..... 

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @JahPete,

Having retested your line from our side, I can see there is a problem but I am unable to determine the cause. Before proceeding with the fault investigation please ensure you have completed the connectivity troubleshooting HERE

It may also be worth connecting to the test socket to try and rule out issues caused by internal wiring. More information on this can be found HERE

Should there still be a problem after performing the troubleshooting, I've forwarded a request for an engineer visit to proceed with investigating the fault. The time slots are 0800-1300 and 1300-1800 Monday to Friday.

Please respond to the following TICKET with your availability and let us know here on the forums when you have done so. We can then get the booking arranged for you.

JahPete
Rising Star

Thanks.....

I had a similar problem a few months back. I had several engineer visits and they changed the socket and I was also supplied a replacement router (I still had a modem and separate router). 

Anyway, I have given my available time slots for another engineer visit on the ticket.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @JahPete,

I'm really sorry for the confusion.

I've raised the fault to our suppliers (with view to go to an engineer booking) and they have identified a potential problem remotely. At this stage an engineer is not needed after all.

We'll continue to keep the availability you provided as your preferred option should our suppliers request a visit.

I've provided further information on the TICKET and we'll be in touch when we have a response from our suppliers.

JahPete
Rising Star

So, after a week of waiting and being advised an engineer visit wouldn't be needed, it now appears it will be after all...When I had a speed issue a few months back, it took 3 engineer visits to ascertain the problem was external and also supply me with a replacement  (relatively) up to date router. Hopefully it will only take the one visit this time..... 

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @JahPete,

Your appointment for an engineer has been booked for 10/06/2019 between 8am-1pm. If the appointment needs rearranging, let us know on here so we can amend it as soon as possible.

Let us know how the visit goes.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
JahPete
Rising Star

Hi,
I had an engineer visit last week, and after some tests and eliminations, it was discovered that it was my actual (Dell) PC that was getting a slow internet speed, despite being hard wired. I decided to purchase a new machine from Dell. However, after it arrived, I perused the Dell Community forum and discovered that it was known problem. Apparently a Dell App called "Smartbyte" can reduce internet speeds dramatically when installed. I recently had a Dell update, so assume that is when it arrived. Since uninstalling the App, my internet speed is back up to the speed (24 Mbps) that the BT engineer was obtaining..... Therefore no further engineer visit is required.

It goes without saying that I'm returning the new PC to Dell. I'm not impressed with them installing the App on my machine and would advise any Dell users to remove it..... 

Thanks for your help, as always.....

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @JahPete

I'm glad to hear that you've managed to find the cause

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team