Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues

FIXED
Lisa3
Dabbler

Speed issues

I have been receiving Plusnet broadband for 14 days. We knew it was slow and up and down but hoped it would improve after the 10 days settling in period. But after 14 days I have received this info from you. As usual I can’t get through on the phone and live chat isn’t available! Please help me get a better speed. It is important. That is the reason I changed provider and to fibre. Thank you

Lisa

Estimated line speed: 56Mbps to 79Mbps
This shows the normally available speeds your line is capable of. You may have chosen to buy a product which runs at slower speeds.

Current line speed: 24.2Mbps

Minimum guaranteed access line speed: 34Mbps
This is the minimum speed you should expect to achieve on your line.

29 REPLIES 29
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Speed issues

Sorry to hear your speeds aren't as expected.

We've tested your line and we can see the speeds are below the minimum guaranteed access line speed.

Our tests are showing what's known as a 'Bridge Tap' which can sometimes be a internal issue.

Can you confirm if you've got the router connected to the master socket in the property?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Lisa3
Dabbler

Hi Matthew
Thanks for getting back to me. Yes the router is connected to the master socket.
Bw
Lisa
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Lisa3,

Thanks for your post.

With regards the master socket - Have you removed the face plate and connected to the test socket? For your convenience I've included instructions on how to do this below:

The next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the face plate of your master socket and seeing if the speeds increase. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Please let us know how you get on, as we'll re-test once we have confirmation from you that you're in the actual test socket.

Lisa3
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply.

I have now checked all the sockets and none of them has a test socket behind the front plate. Perhaps I don’t have a master socket.

Caerefail
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Is there a possibility that it could be in the loft? Our is, which makes diagnostics a nightmare!

Lisa3
Dabbler

Absolutely no possibility it is in the loft. I have done a speed test on all the 4 sockets in the house and they were all the same. I did have some retiring done some years ago and extra sockets were put in and the builders seem to have blocked over where the master (and only) socket once was. Do I need an engineer to check this? Also though I have historically had problems with my telephone line due ( I was told) to old copper wiring in my area ( road?). Also my lodgers tell me the problem isn’t just the speed but that the WiFi is still dropping off completely from time to time. Thank you.

Lisa3
Dabbler

I mean rewiring not retiring obviously.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @Lisa3,

As everything internally has been checked (that you can check) I'd suggest then that we have to go down the route of sending an engineer out to resolve the issue. I've created this fault ticket on your account. If you could update it with the information I've requested and then give us a nudge on this post once you have we'll get it all arranged for you. 

Lisa3
Dabbler

Hi Joe, Thats great news. I have filled in the info. Thank you for your help. Best wishes Lisa

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us Lisa.

I can see our faults team have picked this up this morning and booked an engineer visit in for you.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Lisa3
Dabbler

Yes thanks an engineer is now booked. I am disappointed plusnet let me know now I am likely to have to pay the costs of this engineer only after offering me to book a slot for them. I think it would have been more ethical to let me decide if I want to employ an independent engineer as I had suggested. Booking one for me and then telling me I will pay if the fault is on my land seems somewhat disingenuous to me. Hey ho. Same old same old...
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @Lisa3,

I apologise that you was not informed of this information prior to the booking, usually we would send a statement which confirms the potential charge and asks you to accept before proceeding. Our broadband trouble shooter explains the potential charge when raising a fault.

I'm afraid only Openreach can carry out work on the Openreach network unless the issue is within the boundaries of your property as this part of the network is your responsibility however, the checks completed should rule out the possibility of the issue being within the boundaries of your property.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Lisa3 wrote:
Yes thanks an engineer is now booked. I am disappointed plusnet let me know now I am likely to have to pay the costs of this engineer only after offering me to book a slot for them. I think it would have been more ethical to let me decide if I want to employ an independent engineer as I had suggested. Booking one for me and then telling me I will pay if the fault is on my land seems somewhat disingenuous to me. Hey ho. Same old same old...

Hi Lisa3,

I sorted out a similar problem with a member on another forum whose fault was caused by a damaged internal extension lead.

A Bridge Tap is when a disused length of cable is left connected to the phone system & very often it's within the householder's property when internal telephone extensions are modified so can you think of anything like this that may have happened in your house? (before the engineer turns up).

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

It may be worth noting that a bridge tap can also be cabling that is not connected to anything external from the property.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet