Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues

robquick
Grafter

Speed issues

Hi,

BT completed some cable work to my house last Wednesday, as they connected the new cables as you would expect my Fibre went off line for 15 minutes. After the internet came back online I did a speed test and my speed had gone from 77mbps to 55mbps. I logged an issue with Plusnet who then acknowledged that there was a problem with the line. 4 days later Plusnet update the post and tell me that there is nothing wrong with the line !!! Having completed a BT wholesale speed test I can clearly see that my IP profile is not correct, normally it would be 77mbps however, it's currently 60 mbps. Over the years I've had a similar issue twice, on both occasions the cause has been a 'stuck profile'. Plusnet are now telling me it's an issue with my wi-fi !!!

Please can this be reolsved ?

14 REPLIES 14
akashi
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Speed issues

You will need to give it some time for the DLM to increase your profile.

My profile was lowered when I was disconnecting my modem several times during setup. After waiting 3 weeks the profile went up to 72.46Mbps. This was last week.

I am still waiting for it to go back to 77Mbps. Just have to be patient for this process.

In the meantime, you should ask for a GEA test on your line.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @robquick, thanks for your post.

It does indeed look like the exchange had clamped down on the speed profile due to the instability caused by the engineering works.

We've changed this setting now and a quick reboot of the router should get you back up to speed.

Please let us know how you get on.

robquick
Grafter

Hi,

Thanks, I have followed your instructions and the speed has improved however, it's still down by about 20%. Looking at my profile it's moved to 70mbps but not the normal 80mbps. Again, this is exactly what has previously happened on two occasions, both times it's been caused by a stuck profile..............please can this solution be reviewed and potentially resolved ?

I've attached my BT wholesale test which clearly shows my IP profile at 70mbps.

Thanks. 

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can see from the account that it does look like the profile had become stuck, which is something we can sometimes see when a Static IP is in use.

I've had the relevant changes made and you should notice those speeds go back up within the next few hours.

We're sorry for any inconvenience caused but please do let us know if you need anything else at all.

robquick
Grafter

Many thanks.

Nothing has changed yet, as you say I will try again in a couple of hours. Will I need to reset the modem and router ?

Thanks.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @robquick, if it still hasn't improved, reset the router and let us know if there is still an issue.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
robquick
Grafter

Hi,
I've now rebooted my modem and router and my speed has again improved. However, my upload and download speeds are again still slower then they were prior to BT replacing various overhead cables in my road. Surely, with new cabling my speeds should be equal or better than they were before.........not worse. Again, my IP profile is still lower than it was before suggesting this is the cause ? Can this please be reviewed again, and fixed once and for all ?

Thanks.
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @ 

I've just ran a GEA on your line - looks like all is well now; 

Test OutcomePass

Test Outcome CodeGTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000

DescriptionGEA service test completed and no fault found .

Main Fault LocationOK

Sync StatusIn Sync

Downstream Speed76.6 Mbps

Upstream Speed20.0 Mbps

Appointment RequiredN

Fault Report AdvisedN

NTE Power StatusPowerOn

Voice Line Test ResultPass

Bridge TapNot Detected

Radio Frequency IngressNot Detected

Repetitive Electrical Impulse NoiseNot Detected

Cross TalkNot Detected

Estimated Line Length In Metres382.0

Upstream Rate AssessmentVery Good

Downstream Rate AssessmentVery Good

Interference PatternNot Detected

Service ImpactNo Impact Observed

Home Wiring ProblemNot Detected

Downstream Policing Discard Rate0.0

Customer Traffic LevelUpstream and Downstream Traffic Detected

TechnologyVDSL

Profile Name0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Hope this helps. 

MoR

robquick
Grafter

Hi,
Looking on BT wholesale my speeds are still around 10%-15% slower then they were prior to BT replacing various overhead cables in my road. Surely, with new cabling my speeds should be equal or better than they were before.........not worse. Again, my IP profile is still lower than it was before suggesting this is the cause ? Can this please be reviewed again, and fixed once and for all ? Previously this has ALWAYS been caused by a stuck Profile.

Surely if my IP profile is lower than before my speeds will be lower too ?Huh

Thanks.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We can see that the IP Profile is currently at 76.3mbps, which is within the estimates for your line.

Due to this, there isn't a great deal that we're able to do in relation to your speeds.

We're sorry for any inconvenience caused.

robquick
Grafter

Hi,

With respect that's not a helpful reply.

My speed is 15% lower than it was before Openreach decided to replace the overhead lines (albeit everything was fine prior to this). My IP profile is also lower than it has been for the last 5 years I've been with Plusnet............but because my speeds are 'within the estimates for my line'...........there's not a great deal you can do ??!!

Surely based on the fact that my speed and profile is lower than before this would suggest that there is an issue somewhere ?Huh

Thanks.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @robquick, having re-tested your connection today the sync speed does look to be creeping up to where you'd previously expect it as seen below:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 76.6 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 377.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-11-15T15:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 62.2 Mbps 80.0 Mbps 76.2 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps
Up Time 709.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 898.8 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-11-29T12:03:12Z 2018-11-29T12:18:12Z
Ingress Code Violation 1 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

One thing that jumps out however is that the connection has been dropping a fair bit over the last few days looking at the graph below:

I'd advise from here then although as you mentioned work has been carried out outside which may be behind the drops and slight dip in speed to run through a few own domain checks before we raise a fault and more than likely get a engineer out to investigate further given nothing fault wise is flagging up our side.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the face plate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

(Given the frequency of the drops I'd recommend staying in the set up for 24-48 hours to see if the issues persist)

Let us know how it goes

robquick
Grafter

Hi,

I've completed the below checks and I'm still in the same situation.

Can someone please answer one simple question ? Why is my IP profile lower than it's ever been ? If this is lower than it should be would that not suggest that's the issue with my speed ?

No one seems to want to answer that question !

Thanks.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Your IP profile is 96.7% of your downstream sync speed so if your sync speed drops then your profile will drop as well.

There are numerous reasons why your sync speed may have dropped but the most common one is crosstalk which is interference from other lines.

Whilst I appreciate any drop in speed is frustrating I'm afraid that there isn't anything we can do

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team