cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues when downloading Apple updates

rookey
Grafter

Re: Speed issues when downloading Apple updates

Is anyone here telling plus net of this issue?
AlfieGee

Same issue for me - using wifi (plusnet) it very rarely updates apps but I can do it no problem on other networks and even over 3g
Another (maybe related) issue recently is that at some time during the day, no matter what web address I enter, the Plusnet home page came up. Change the DNS to googles and solved the problem.
But what is going on?
NedLudd
Grafter

The plot thickens!
I have no trouble with Apple on my 'Insider' laptop (connected by Ethernet), only with my desktop?
Geoff,
York.
JRT
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

It isn't just fibre users having this problem.  I'm on ADSL and am currently downloading the OS 10 update and the iTunes update from the App Store.  It started off in fine style and the App Store showed a download time of 15 minutes or so.  Fairly quickly it slowed down to 30 mins, then 50 mins and seem to settle at around an hour and 20 mins!  A quick Gateway hop seems to have restored some sense and I'm now showing 60% complete and some 8 mins to go, currently the time is going down not up as it was shortly after starting.  I normally get about 8.5 M download speed which would seem to be about right for the current connection.
As a point of interest, the Which Gateway tool on Usertools.Plus.Net fails to identify the current gateway but the previous gateway was -bgn01 (I think!).
Something is surely not right - somewhere!
acarneiro
Grafter

Well, I've submitted a fault.
I'm not entirely sure it'll be of much use but will keep you guys posted of any eventual replies...
NedLudd
Grafter

Found the cause of me not being able to update iTunes!
If I disable Protected Mode in Security in IE11 I can download the iTunes update. With it enabled I can't?  Shocked
I can also download it in Edge?  Huh
Geoff,
York.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

the problem will be the apple servers having millions of people connected via the hard-line (fttc/adsl) and very few coming via the mobile operators, that will be because so many phone users don't have decent data allowances yet there are millions of apple devices and they share the bandwidth across both types of connection equally rather than have it reactive for demand switching, people expect their mobile service to "work" all the time so they dare not crunch the available bandwidth for it for fear of fall out .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
acarneiro
Grafter

I must disagree.
This is aproblem that has only been happening for a number of weeks. There is no reason to think Apple are being hammered now any more than on previous releases of iOS or OSX updates, and it also doesn't explain the slowness on App updates that is patent on PlusNet but not on other service providers.
Congestion at the Apple end seems unlikely.
André
EDITED to correct typos. Not had enough coffee...
toggie101
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?
I'm currently trying to download a 1.55GB iPhone update (via iTunes), so far it's taken 15 minutes to download 19MB with 17 hours remaining.
In comparison, downloading something from Google 65MB took less than 10 seconds. Also, a podcast downloaded using iTunes was so fast I couldn't make a note of sizes etc.
I've tried swapping gateways several times over the past couple of weeks - no difference.
Many thanks for any help or advice people may have.
Edit: I forgot to add, that updates downloaded via iPad are also painfully slow (it's not my iPad and I dare not attempt to update it to iOS9.1 due to the ridiculous time it would take).
RedLemon

it's not a problem at apple's end. i was experiencing this problem with a 20 hour estimated time to download iOS9 to restore my phone.
switched to a VPN connection and it came down in minutes.
nigel1971
Grafter

Yes as i mentioned elsewhere this is how long it is to get this file and speed of it  Cry
jjc
Grafter

One problem is that Apple only support connections via Safari, they do say that Chrome and Firefox may work but they will not support IE. That does not mean that it will not work but I would not put it past Apple to make it more difficult to use IE  Angry
John
NedLudd
Grafter

You don't need to use a browser to do IOS updates. You can either do it direct to the device or via iTunes.
Updating iTunes, however, is a different matter and you could well be right!
Geoff,
York.
DeclanTM
Grafter

Also having serious speed issues with Apples CDNs through Plusnet.
Trying to download a software update for my iPad and it is currently sitting at this:

Tried downloading firmware from my server so not an issue on Apple's side.

Also completed a speedtest attached below so not an issue with my connection overall, so frustrating.
acarneiro
Grafter

As expected, support say nothing's wrong.
I've directed them to this thred to see if they can realise that SOMEthing is not quite right.
Not holding my breath though.