Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues when downloading Apple updates

Brandscill
Grafter

Speed issues when downloading Apple updates

Hi
This has been discussed on Thinkbroadband http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/f/4427256-plusnet-capacity-to-apple-cdn-poor.html but wanted to raise it here to see if there is any official response.
When downloading Apple updates or App updates at peak times I don't get full download speeds. The other day it took 15 minutes to download a 90mb update, and when I did a speediest I was getting my usual 38mbps down.
Is there a capacity issue between Plusnet and the Apple CDN? I downloaded the next 80mb update I disconnected my phone from the WiFi and went onto 4G which took seconds.
55 REPLIES 55
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Speed issues when downloading Apple updates

Which DNS servers are you using?
Brandscill
Grafter

Plusnet ones
NedLudd
Grafter

There can be lots of reasons for slow downloads - wifi channel contention for one!
We have 2 iPhones and 2 iPads and an Apple laptop and none seems to have suffered slow downloads at peak times/first day of updates.
Perhaps your wifi channel is in contention with other users in your neighbourhood?
Geoff,
York.
AndyH
Grafter

Try using Google's DNS servers ( 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and see if that makes a difference
Brandscill
Grafter

Certainly not WiFi. Can max the speeds out at the exact same time. Also effects laptop when it's hardwired.
Funny thing was when the post first went up on Thinkbroadband it wasn't effecting me either, but these past few days it is.
Brandscill
Grafter

This issue is still ongoing.

Current speedtest from the same machine is 20mbps down and 10 up. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4734335497
What's going on?
AndyH
Grafter

Did you try a different DNS server as I suggested?
Brandscill
Grafter

Switched it to Google but made no difference.
AndyH
Grafter

Hmm - not sure what else to suggest then to be honest.
It's taken me nearly 24hrs to download the new OSX (from Czech Republic).
Brandscill
Grafter

Chatting to support who are giving me the run around.
Seems as soon as I hopped gateway from bng03 to ag04 the speeds maxed out the connection again
Frogger
Grafter

THERE IS a BACKHAUL issue with PlusNet beyond doubt. The routing to Apple CDN has issues. I had 5 updates queued for my iPhone and they were taking an eternity to download. So I changed gateway. reset my router and it made no difference.
I have a MYWiFi portable hub on EE mobile for holidays, I ran speedtests on my PlusNet Fibre = 35.7Mbps, EE mobile hub = 7Mbps.
I swapped my iPhone onto the WiFi from the portable hub and using a mobile network the updates raced through in seconds. I waited for another update, and tried the PlusNet fibre wifi again and it was SLOW>>>>>
I checked the update sizes and they were all comparable. One I timed was about 10 minutes for a 100Mb file on PlusNet, a similar sized update via a mobile hub took a couple of minutes on a theoretically slower link.
The updates also go slow or fail when I download them to iTunes via Plusnet
Go Figure....
Frogger
Grafter

Just tried to update 7 apps in iTunes via an Ethernet connection to FTTC router, which delivers 35mbps via Fibre Extra tariff. very slow. Disconnected Ethernet & connected via a mobile myFi on EE (13mbps) and downloaded in no time !
acarneiro
Grafter

+1 here with similar issues
Glad it's not just me, I was worried it was my Apple Caching Server playing up.
Great connectivity to everywhere, able to download Apple Updates over mobile connection just fine, but when updatig over my PlusNet FTTC connection it really just crawls.
shaymanjohn

I'm seeing exactly the same issue.