cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues (take 3)

dickyhillary
Dabbler

Re: Speed issues (take 3)

I've already raised 3 tickets so far about this issue and it keeps re-occurring. I've completed multiple speed checks using the BTW checker on a wired PC, confirmed with a Mac on wifi to be around 27Mbits this is terrible. I'll raise yet another ticket but when is the underlying issue going to be resolved?

I can provide speed graphs from samknows for the last year that shows the timeline of when things occur if required.

Cheers

Richard

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

Hi Richard.

Going over the fault notes you've raised, it looks like you're experiencing a noisy phone line? I've tested your line and I'm not detecting any issues. If you haven't already, can you try the checks here and let us know if the line's still crackling?

Thanks,

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dickyhillary
Dabbler

Hi mate, thanks for getting back to me. That's my mistake I should have ticked no to noise on the line.

As mentioned in previous calls I've got the BT MK3 Faceplate as fitted by their engineer.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for your patience Rich.

It's likely we're going to need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate this. I take it you've tried the usual checks, most importantly by plugging the router into the test socket? Explained here.

If so, I'd advise to reply to the fault ticket on your account with your availability for an engineer visit.

I'm off home now, but we'll pick this up for you tomorrow.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dickyhillary
Dabbler

I've updated the ticket with options for an engineer visit. I've attached the graph for the last six months showing the downward trend of the speed... (Hopefully the picture attached)

Cheers

Rich

dickyhillary
Dabbler

You wouldn't think I'm a Storage and Backup consultant at a major IT Company as I can't manage to attach a picture .. urgh Grin

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us.

I've booked your engineer for tomorrow AM, and I've updated your ticket too.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dickyhillary
Dabbler

Would you be able to have a look at my line settings please? Since the engineer reset the DLM I seem to be stuck on 

Down Stream : 34761Kbps / Up Stream : 2000Kbps

The Down stream should have popped back up to 39999. On the BT Line Check I should be able to achieve this as it's predicted speed is 49.7Mbps.

Cheers

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It looks like it's not a DLM/profile issue...

Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-2M Upstream, Error Protection Off

It's more of a slow sync problem...

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 34.8 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps

The speed is marginally below your estimate of 35mbps, so it's very likely an engineer won't be able to find a fault. Sad However, as it is below the estimate we're happy to send one. Raise a fault to us here if you would like to go ahead.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
guitaristanime
Hooked

Replying as interested in the out come of this thread. Also an IT bod here, technical architect.

I'm fed up of this, pretty much bang on 10:30pm, gaming and streaming services like netflix become unusable. Performing a speedtest reveals my speed drops anywhere from 20-30Mb, despite it still giving me a reading around 50Mb which is actually plenty capable for watching a measly video or playing csgo, i get frequent buffering (plex web), drop outs (csgo and rocket league), or vaseline goggles quality downrated videos (netflix).

Christ I'm watching a 480p video file at the moment and its buffering every 10 seconds.
dickyhillary
Dabbler

I'll pass on sending an engineer out again.... as they're likely to charge me as there won't be a fault. The line does cope perfectly with 39999 down and 2000 up... Surely as my line has been rock solid now for weeks and weeks DLM should push the speed back up a bit?Huh

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

From the test I ran on Friday, the DLM banding is at 40/2.

The problem you're having is a slow sync issue, not caused by DLM.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dickyhillary
Dabbler

Ah my bad.. so in that case how do we correct this? I've just checked and the sync is still at : Down Stream : 34761Kbps / Up Stream : 2000Kbps

If an engineer is the only way forward to resolve this then cool, providing there will be no charge.

R

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If the usual internal checks don't help, then the only way forward would be to arrange an engineer.

As the speed is just fractionally below the estimate, it's possible your line is just performing as expected and there'll be the chance of the fee if an engineer finds there's no fault. On the other hand, the engineer may find something wrong and the speed may increase.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dickyhillary
Dabbler

The usual checks won't make any differences I'm afraid. Everytime the engineer comes they don't find a fault, they perform a DLM reset and the line normally returns to 39999 and the modem ( for want of a better word ) syncs at this speed.