Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues (take 3)

dickyhillary
Dabbler

Speed issues (take 3)

Hi,

since moving to PlusNet I've had to log two calls regarding speed issues, and I'm about to log a third in six months. My previous ISP who I was with for 10 years I logged two calls in the whole time ( one of which was to report that the physical line to the house was down due to the weather ). 

When I signed up the line was tested and a speed of circa 50Mbps was comfortably attainable, I chose the 40/2 package to save the few quid per month. For the first couple of months I had no stability issues, the sync was at 39999bps and the speeds were around the 37-38mbps which is fine. 

Again this morning I've noticed poor performance and after running the BTW Performance test my speeds are showing as 29.5Mbps down and 1.8Mbps up and it is showing my IP Profile at 30.83Mbps. I've checked the availability checker and it still states that I should be able to achieve 50Mbps max. 

I've not logged a call yet as the last couple of times I have by the time I've had a response the speed checker has gone above 31Mbps and PlusNet doesn't appear to have any obligations to investigate further. 

All of the tests have been carried out via a wired connection to rule out wireless issues (there aren't any wireless issues as I'm using Ubiquiti Wifi APs about the house)

Can one of the PlusNet community bods take a look for me please as this is getting very frustrating.

Cheers

Rich

32 REPLIES 32
paulm2727

Re: Speed issues (take 3)

I joined plusnet in dec.. came over from BT where i had the infinity package. I wished i hadn't. Nothing but problems. My wireless speeds with BT were about 5mb slower then connected now i am getting less then half speeds. i am paying for 38-40 but getting 10, 13,  2, etc and worst in the middle of something i loose connections having to constantly do a windows repair, speedtests  keep showing congestion  despite numerous complains they dont care. the customer service is useless, argumentative. There answer is "we are sorry to hear that" we will look into it etc. asked to listen in to my call they want £10 for it. Many charges are hidden in the T&C beware. and you have to find them as you have to click 4 pages before you get to it. I have taken this up with Offcom now as totally dissaponted.!

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@dickyhillary Sorry to hear you're having speed issues. Our tests aren't showing any obvious cause but we would recommend raising a fault here so our faults team can look into this for you.

@paulm2727 Are you able to test a wired connection to see if the speeds are any better?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
paulm2727

I was told i will be getting same speeds as BT on my wireless connections, i have a chat proof, but i am not getting that. cant use wired as next to bt main socket which is not useable to put a PC there. Thats why asked for details on wireless connection. NO PROBLEMS with BT at all and speeds very close to wired connections. Why the poor service with plusnet??????????

dickyhillary
Dabbler

@MatthewWheeler Thanks for looking into this, I've been to the link provided and it pops up saying:

Thanks, you've given us all the information we need to investigate your problem

That's before I've raised the ticket!

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@paulm2727 Have you tried changing the wireless channel to see if that makes any difference?

@dickyhillary I've passed the fault to our Faults team for you and they'll update you as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
dickyhillary
Dabbler

@MatthewWheeler Thanks... let's hope they can sort this out and stop it happening, like I said it's getting annoying having to keep logging calls for this and the time it takes to get things sorted.

Cheers

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@paulm2727 wrote:

I was told i will be getting same speeds as BT on my wireless connections,

Wireless speeds have nothing to do with the service itself. They are down to the equipment involved in that particular connection (the router and/or the device you're measuring on). I believe PN currently ship a re-badged Homehub but it's not the latest and best version. If you still have your BT router you can reconfigure it to work with your PN connection. That is almost guaranteed(*) to give you the same wifi speed that you had before.

PN do not require that you use their router (you can even opt out of them sending it as several of us did) so you can use any router you want. There are likely routers out there that perform better than the best of Homehubs.

(*)Although it's possible that you are just experiencing more interference than you used to be. Maybe one of your neighbours has a new router or has moved theirs closer to yours.

paulm2727

Plusnet should have been  clear on this when i was signing up for the service, not that the speeds will be similar. Nothing was mentioned about the router and the difference it would make,  as they were supplying the router. I have no idea how to configure BT's router as you have mentioned. if you can send me a link or something then i can try it. 

paulm2727

Yes i hav tried wired connections and the speeds do get up to 37mb but at times slows down to 17mb and also shows congestion. 

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@paulm2727 wrote:

Plusnet should have been  clear on this when i was signing up for the service, not that the speeds will be similar. 

Agreed. Unfortunately BT started the trend by claiming that they offered the fastest wireless and marketing and sales departments like to keep things simple because it suits their purposes. They'd rather customers see the router as part of the service.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Use-a-BT-Hub-2-3-4-or-5-on-a-Plusnet-connection/m-p/1192234#...

As regards the congestion that should be fairly unusual with PN. I get full speed 24/7/52 but it will depend a bit on where you live. If that is true with wired as well as wireless it would be worth pursuing as a possible fault.

dickyhillary
Dabbler

Unless the PlusNet supplied Router / Modem can provide me with full PPoE Passthrough of all traffic (inc. IGMP) then I won't entertain plugging it in.

All I want, and I don't think it's too much to ask is a connection and service that delivers what I've paid for, without the need to have to keep logging calls and eventually taking to the forums.

Plus don't get me started on BTs advertising 😛

R

dickyhillary
Dabbler

@MatthewWheeler : It's happened again, speed has now dropped to:

Results Image not loaded
1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 23.69 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 1.82 Mbps

I am starting to get very sick of this, what can be done by PlusNet / BT to resolve this. I live on a new build estate that should have new cabling throughout. I do know that the way they ran the cable to the houses in my street is not the direct line to the cabinet, this probably adds several hundred metres to the line length. I did try to sign up for the FTTP trial but was told I wasn't eligible Cry

Can we get this issue looked at and resolved ASAP?

dickyhillary
Dabbler

Anyone from PlusNet staff available ?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry that your'e having issues with the speeds. Checking your account there is no fault ticket currently open, even if the problem is congestion or peak time slowdowns we'd really need a fault reporting for this at https://faults.plus.net

When the speeds are low can you run a BT Speedtest, ensuring you do the further diagnostics test after the first one completes. This stores the results on the supplier system and allows us to use this to report the fault.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.