cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues and strange speedtest results..

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Speed issues and strange speedtest results..

Hi there.

I think it's best to get that crackling looked at next, which is likely the underlying cause of any problems you're experiencing with your connection.

I've updated you via ticket 177566028 with troubleshooting steps you can do before we go ahead and book an engineer visit.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
drwright
Dabbler

The crackling on the phone line cannot be heard now - I did the actions you requested.

I have added a Samknows graph of the performance over the last month and it shows the dramatic drop in download speed.

In a thread in the ThinkBroadband forum (about another ISP using Openreach network) there is mention of a re Banding activity that restricts the line performance. Could I have been rebanded downwards?

The Thinkbroadband thread

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/t/4594657-re-sync-speed-dropped-from-79999-to-73999.html

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Thanks for the update. Your line isn't banded - (0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off), so it's a standard slow sync problem. You're below the estimate for a clean line, so I've asked that our supplier take a look. If you've not already, it's also worth trying your router into the test socket to see if the sync speed differs.

Our supplier now want to send an engineer, so if the above tests are done, and you agree to the potential charges (see 177566028), we'll be able to arrange this for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
drwright
Dabbler

Thank you - reply detailing suitable times for me sent via the problem ticket system.

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi there.

I have booked the appointment for you, and have updated your ticket.

drwright
Dabbler

Thank you

drwright
Dabbler

Openreach guys came and swapped the little white box and swapped to a different pair of leads from the cabinet to the bottom of the pole, some settings were changed  in the exchange (or where ever things get tinkered with) and low and behold it is back to the speed of a month ago.

But still slower than it was 6 years ago when I was the first user of the fibre cabinet.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @drwright,

Thanks for getting back in touch. I'm pleased to hear that the engineer looks to have found the cause of this issue and that your speeds are back to where they were prior to the fault. I'm sorry for any inconvenience that you experienced whilst this issue was ongoing.

In terms of the speed that you were receiving when you first upgraded to fibre, it sounds likely that this has reduced due to more of the cabinet's capacity being used, however, you are still within the estimated speed of the line.

Please let us know if you experience any further issues with your speed or if there's anything else that you'd like to discuss.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team