cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues and strange speedtest results..

FIXED
redhedgehog42
Grafter

Speed issues and strange speedtest results..

I regularly test my line speeds with either Speedtest.net or Plusnet's own tester and they both consistently give very similar results with Download speeds of between 58 and 60 Mbps and upload of 16.8 Mbps. However if I use BT Wholesale test I am getting very different results with Download speeds between 3 Mbps and 25Mps and upload speeds of around 13 Mbps. Also BT test now refuses to give me access to the further diagnostic results always saying it is running Tap3 and to try later.

Subjectively my line speed feels slower than it did some months ago when Plusnet's and Speedtest testers showed speeds of 61 down and 17 up and the BT results were, at that point, very similar.

What is happening, which results are accurate? Do I have a problem or is the BT test now a complete load of rubbish.

22 REPLIES 22
djcjuk
Rising Star
Fixes: 5

Re: Speed issues and strange speedtest results..

I found BT wholesale  works ok with Microsoft Edge browser. It did not work on IE 11 this morning.  Try a different browser. I have only  had problem since last win 10 update.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Fix

The BT Wholesale speed tester is well known to give inaccurate / incomplete results when run in Firefox to name but one.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@redhedgehog42

This is a known issue with the BTW Speedtest. 

It is not returning correct results in Firefox or Chrome. On Windows I use Edge just for this test.

Plusnet and BT are aware but nothing has changed. People have been reporting this since last year.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
redhedgehog42
Grafter

Thanks for the info, tried again with Safari and got resulsts comparable to Speedtest.net and Plusnet speedtest

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the wholesale speedtester.

Our suppliers have advised us that the best web browser to run all wholesale applications is via Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer.

However, I believe that soon the test will be upgraded to HTML 5 which should resolve these issues in the not too distant future.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
drwright
Dabbler

Please tell your suppliers that other software platforms exist.

BT's ignorance of the concept of platform neutrality caused me to leave BT to join Plusnet in 2004.

Long before BT bought Plusnet.

Bt's ignorance prevents Mac users from running the BT Wholesale test.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@drwright, the wholesale speed test should work on a Mac. I've got one myself and I've used it before. What happens when you try to run it via Safari?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
drwright
Dabbler

I will give it a try later - so far only run it in Firefox

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries, I'd recommend using Safari as the test doesn't play well with Firefox or Chrome it seems.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
drwright
Dabbler

As you said it goes better with Safari - however the results were disappointing the download speed has dropped from nearly 70Mbs to now at 54Mbs - the estimated max speed is forecast at 57.38Mps . The achieved speed has dropped from 64.6Mps on June 16th to 54Mbs on the Samknows dashboard graph, it is almost a cliff edge drop in speed.

Those pretty leaflets from Virgin once again become very appealing - it would be sad to leave PN after 14 years, BT / Openreach's infrastructure is letting PN down.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@drwright the achievable speed on the wholesale test isn't your estimates/expectations of your line, that just indicates what the IP profile of your line is.

As your router is in sync at 59.3mbps which is below your speed estimates as shown here, I'd recommend running through the troubleshooting steps here to rule out any internal wiring affecting your connection then report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net if you don't see an increase.

Hope this helps.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
drwright
Dabbler

I followed the steps and got the same speed result, however the quiet line test showed a huge amount of noise so a ticket was raised- so we wait and see.

Thanks for your help

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @drwright

Thanks for letting us know that you've raised a fault. I can see that there was initially a phone fault present on your line, however, this now seems to have cleared.

Could you please confirm whether you're still experiencing noise on the line?

Best wishes,

Dave

drwright
Dabbler

There is still a faint humming noise and the occaisonal crackle.

The BT Wholsale test is still giving the same speed results.