Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues - Formerly Changing ISP

FIXED
christianpjones
Rising Star

Speed issues - Formerly Changing ISP

My 12-month contract with Plusnet ends on 31/5/19. I've been through the upgrades on offer and none of them can match what I'm being offered by another ISP. Do I need to do anything to initiate the transfer other than place an order with the new ISP? I'd like to minimise the risk of downtime.

Many thanks. Smiley

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Changed thread title to reflect issue after moving.

Moderators Note by Dvorak Change topic title to correct 'formerly'

68 REPLIES 68
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Changing ISP

No. The migration process is now "Gaining Provider Led" meaning the new ISP handles everything.

Might be worth giving the Customer Options Team a call though, and see what they can offer

0800 013 2632
christianpjones
Rising Star

Thanks. Smiley

I would like to stay with Plusnet - I've been very happy with the service - but the maximum speed I'm being offered when my contract ends is exactly the same as I've had for the last 12 months. There's nothing wrong with that but, according to Openreach (and the other ISP), I can now get a significantly faster connection for less than I'd be paying on a new contract with Plusnet.

I'll talk to the Customer Options Team. Thanks again.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Like everthing else from energy supply to insurance, middle man manipulation with the customer footing the bill.

Am I the only one getting just about cheesed off with it all? 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@christianpjones

When you ring select tha 'I'm thinking of leaving' option. Quote the new ISP's price and ask them to match it. It worked for me.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

christianpjones
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 

The odd thing is that Plusnet's availability checker says the maximum available speed is the same as I'm getting now. The other ISP's checker shows considerably quicker and for less money. I presume they both use Openreach's system to get their data...

Mav
Fixes: 515

@christianpjones 

What results do you see when putting your telephone number in the DSL Checker?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

christianpjones
Rising Star

@Mav 

I usually get about 33 (but today it's running at 22, as shown below). Plusnet is offering me a maximum of 35 for the next 12 months; the other ISP is offering me a guaranteed minimum of 55 (although I see from the DSL checker that 51.2 is the theoretical maximum).

1.jpg

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Chat to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
christianpjones
Rising Star

@dvorak: Thanks for moving it. I couldn't decide whether to post it in here or general chat.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

So a couple of thoughts:

1. Unless the other ISP's you are talking to are cable suppliers such as Virgin, they are already lying to you. The DSL checker shows the max speeds your line can support. 

2. You need to find out why your sync speeds are so low> Is your router plugged into a filtered master socket, or an extension? Is the line quiet when you dial 17070 then option 2 from a corded phone? Have you reported a fault?

christianpjones
Rising Star

@Mustrum

1. No, they're not cable suppliers. My understanding of the chart I posted is that I should be able to get 50 Mbps or thereabouts. That's roughly what the other ISP is offering. Plusnet is only offering me a continued 33 Mbps and at a higher monthly cost.

2. My router is plugged into a filtered master socket as it has been since the day I got it. I check the connection every couple of days and it's been 33 until today. If it's still low tomorrow I'll report it as a fault.

Minivanman
Legend

I used to dream of getting 33Mbps. Wink

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
christianpjones
Rising Star

@Minivanman 

Grin

As I said, I've been very happy with the service. Until today I don't think I've had a single drop-out or slowdown since I was connected last May/June. If Plusnet is able to offer a comparable speed at a comparable cost I won't switch.

I'm just bemused as to why Plusnet's checker doesn't report 50 Mbps.

Minivanman
Legend

I had a right ding-dong with this outfit months back when for weeks on end and many visits by 'engineers' I was only getting 5Mbps at best and it was only fully resolved when I changed over to fibre.

Ditched the phone and went over to VoIP so now only paying for the internet connection. Thumbs_Up

Herman Melville