cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed increase

mfergo
Hooked

Speed increase

It's not a complaint but I noticed this morning that speedtest was returning speeds around 50Mbit on several devices (Android and Windows). My account is 40/20 unlimited fibre and it's always been consistently 37 Mbit before.

15 REPLIES 15
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Speed increase

Shhh, enjoy it whilst you can, the same happened to me earlier this year, but was corrected when they moved mo to the new network.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I wouldn't worry about it too much at the moment if it's running at higher than the package you're on Wink

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
mfergo
Hooked

Just as an update, after Plusnet have said my official speed is now (up to) 52Mb, I am regularly getting around 62 Mb.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

As you were on 40/20 previously, the wholesale provisioned product is 80/20.

I believe the email states the speed change will officially take effect from August, at which point you'll likely see the speed drop to around 55Mbps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
mfergo
Hooked

Yes I read the email too quickly and missed the little note about the upload speed. To be honest it's a bit academic for me. As long as Netflix and iplayer come through uninterrupted, I'm not too worried.

On the other hand as far as the landline is concerned (about 30m to the junction box and a further 20m to the green fibre box) I seem to be paying quite lot for 50m of wire.

dnpark38
Rising Star

@mfergo wrote:

Yes I read the email too quickly and missed the little note about the upload speed.

Thought it unimportant as it is only 5 Mbs.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Quote fixed.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
dsalazar
Dabbler

@mfergo wrote:

Yes I read the email too quickly and missed the little note about the upload speed. To be honest it's a bit academic for me. As long as Netflix and iplayer come through uninterrupted, I'm not too worried.

On the other hand as far as the landline is concerned (about 30m to the junction box and a further 20m to the green fibre box) I seem to be paying quite lot for 50m of wire.

Then in your position the extra MB/s mean nothing. Neither Netflix or iPlayer will work any better after this "speed increase"

DTEG
Rising Star

The upload slash is a major issue, IMO. Plusnet know full well that they still offer probably the best uploads around on the 38Mb service, so there's little point in terminating, but it still represents a significant change to the contracted service. We're over a barrel, basically. I've no idea how many customers are on the 40/20 service versus the newer 40/2 one (which I presume is increasing to 40/10?) but there are surely better ways of handling this. I don't want compensation or termination, I just want what I signed up for.

Please don't act like we won't notice if you just tack it on as a "by the way" on the end of a paragraph extolling the virtues of download speed increase most of don't need, otherwise we'd have gone for the maximum in the first place!

JohnofYork
Grafter

and those of us who currently don't get the "up to 38MB" as our ancient wires won't handle more than 14-20mb are simply getting a downgraded service, for more money.

now that's what I call 'customer service' (obviously designed by King Boris)

Sad

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

@JohnofYork wrote:

and those of us who currently don't get the "up to 38MB" as our ancient wires won't handle more than 14-20mb are simply getting a downgraded service, for more money.

Strictly, your download rate of 1b/m is "up to 304Mb/s" Crazy3  However, if your down rate is no more than 20Mb/s, your up rate is probably well under 10Mb/s - so neither upgraded nor downgraded. My e-mail states no change to broadband pricing, so not "more money".

Personally, I do not think I will notice the reduction in up rate (though my modem/router gives max rates over 93 & 28Mb/s) as upload intensive activity is scheduled for early hours (historical unmetered period). However, I do think the 2Mb/s up rate can only be considered "extreme stupidity", as PN have not been providing fibre for down rates below about 15Mb/s, which could have an up rate around 5Mb/s.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
JohnofYork
Grafter

i realise that the broadband pricing isn't changing. however, our line rental and call package prices are ...

Jhchicks
Dabbler

Are we all on the 38mbps speed getting the new speed of 52mbps? I get around 22mbps! Would love 38mbps!

deggsyr

Well PN were swift in reducing the upload speed - they also managed to drop our DL speed too! Wonder if this 52mb DL will ever kick in?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

PN cannot magically increase your DL to 52mb , You will only get an increase if your line is capable of that speed Roll_eyes

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .