cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed has plummeted from 40M to 2M today

biglee1974
Grafter

Speed has plummeted from 40M to 2M today

After 12 days of rock solid 40 down/20 up, my speeds tonight have dropped to 2/20.
Just tried a reboot of router and...gasp...bt modem. Everything started up ok, but still at 2/20.
Any idea what's going on? I have a disappointed family moaning at me...
Cheers,
Lee.
31 REPLIES 31
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Speed has plummeted from 40M to 2M today

biglee1974
Grafter

Telephone number:
<snip>
Phone exchange:
GLENROTHES CENTRAL
Estimated line speed:
26Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-10-13 11:58:05
Current line speed:
40 Mb
jim:green phone number removed mod:end
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Hi there
Testing isn't showing any physical issues with your connection. Your sync speeds are fine for your line and your profile is set accordingly
Have you been running these tests over a wired or wireless connection?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
biglee1974
Grafter

Wireless, but it's sat above 35 in every test I've done the past 12 days. Have no way of testing over Ethernet....desktop computer upstairs, router downstairs.

Ps. Thanks for removing phone number...slipped by me that one!
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

you need to run the test using wired to rule out a wireless issue (which it sounds like it might be).
biglee1974
Grafter

Strange.
Everything back to normal this morning.
40 Meg speed tests over my wifi. No router reboots or anything.
Issue at my exchange perhaps? Didn't stop me being lynched by my impatient wife & kids yesterday for failing to provide them with adequate broadband for their Netflix & gaming needs!
Thanks for your help anyway, appreciated.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Issue at my exchange perhaps?
More likely interference from a neighboring wifi. It's possible that a nearby one changed channel and was interfering with yours.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

biglee1974
Grafter

Really? Changed channels a few times last night (1, 6, 11 - tried them all) and every one was the same - 2 Meg.
How far do you need to be for interference from someone else's wifi? We don't pick up other networks when scanning - houses are quite spaced apart.
Cheers,
Lee.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi,
There has been a bit of maintenance on your exchange of late but I don't think this would have caused the problems that you describe. In the unlikely even that you have a repeat, please let us know so we can do more testing.
Thanks,
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
biglee1974
Grafter

Unfortunately, this has happened again.
After last nights problems, I was back at the full 40/20 this morning (on wireless) - or as near as can be I guess.
Got home from work about 7pm this evening, and the first thing I did was run a speedtest again. Back to <3mb download, and this time about 6/7mb upload.
I used a homeplug and ran the BT wholesale speedtest from my computer upstairs, after ensuring I had disabled wireless first. The same poor results. Running the 'further diagnostics' test showed that I had synced at the full 80/20, and that my acceptable range was something like 61mb to 77mb.
So, any ideas? Running the homeplug takes wireless interference out of the equation, yes?
Cheers,
Lee.
Ruddy
Dabbler

Also on the glenrothes north exchange here
speed during peak times dropping to around 2 - 4mb and off peak hitting around 30mb both last night and tonight. (I'm wired all the time)
Line speed has changed a bunch the last couple of days also. From 40mb to 25mb and 31mb.
Current speed peak(bt wholesale showing similar @ 2.82mb down and 7.95mb up):

after midnight(bt wholsale showing the same)
biglee1974
Grafter

And again, everything appears to be back to normal this morning. Remember this is a new problem, it's only the last 2 nights my speed drops to horrible levels in the evening.
picbits
Rising Star

It is good when someone on the same exchange posts back with a similar problem - it could well be a congested exchange and give the PN staff another option to look at Smiley
anniesboy
Rising Star

With reference to use of Homeplugs, I found they knocked off about 20% compared to ethernet.