cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed has... increased?

mossyfisk

Speed has... increased?

Well this is a somewhat different issue than you usually get in these forums, I guess.

For a couple of years I've been on the 38/20 service (which is no longer offered), but I noticed a couple of days ago that I was downloading things at around 7MB/s. I seem to have been moved on to 76/20, which is pleasant but a little confusing.

Is this a mistake on my account, or have I gotten shifted over because the configs changed or something? In the meantime; does anyone have any suggestions for what you can use a 76mbps connection for because I can literally think of nothing, lol

4 REPLIES 4
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Speed has... increased?

Suggestion 1. Speedtests Wink

As to the change, what gateway is returned when you check at http://users.plus.net/@gateway_custom?debug-ip=yes

Does it contain IR (for Internet Router) in the gateway name? If so, you are on the new network and I have seen a post where this caused a 40/20 customer  to be provisioned as 80/20

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
mossyfisk

yup, psb-ir01

Is that going to be put back in a while then? No great loss, I reckon I can cope with it taking five minutes instead of two to download a one hour video.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

If I remember correctly, a Plusnet staffer saw that other post and said he would fix it. So once they see this, I'm sure appropriate action will be taken. Sad

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

You have to bear in mind that the 40/20 product is Plusnet's own invention. How they do it is to supply you on a 80/20 connection and use the "Current Line Speed" to throttle the download speed.to 50%. Someone has obviously amended your Current Line Speed so that you are getting the full speed your connection is capable of.

I would have kept quiet about it if that happened to me...