cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed has... increased?

mossyfisk

Speed has... increased?

Well this is a somewhat different issue than you usually get in these forums, I guess.

For a couple of years I've been on the 38/20 service (which is no longer offered), but I noticed a couple of days ago that I was downloading things at around 7MB/s. I seem to have been moved on to 76/20, which is pleasant but a little confusing.

Is this a mistake on my account, or have I gotten shifted over because the configs changed or something? In the meantime; does anyone have any suggestions for what you can use a 76mbps connection for because I can literally think of nothing, lol

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 82

Re: Speed has... increased?

Suggestion 1. Speedtests :wink:

As to the change, what gateway is returned when you check at http://users.plus.net/@gateway_custom?debug-ip=yes

Does it contain IR (for Internet Router) in the gateway name? If so, you are on the new network and I have seen a post where this caused a 40/20 customer  to be provisioned as 80/20

mossyfisk

yup, psb-ir01

Is that going to be put back in a while then? No great loss, I reckon I can cope with it taking five minutes instead of two to download a one hour video.

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 82

If I remember correctly, a Plusnet staffer saw that other post and said he would fix it. So once they see this, I'm sure appropriate action will be taken. :sad:

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Community Veteran

You have to bear in mind that the 40/20 product is Plusnet's own invention. How they do it is to supply you on a 80/20 connection and use the "Current Line Speed" to throttle the download speed.to 50%. Someone has obviously amended your Current Line Speed so that you are getting the full speed your connection is capable of.

I would have kept quiet about it if that happened to me...