cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed has dropped

OldEngineer
Grafter

Speed has dropped

A mobile call using WiFi Calling was poor this morning. I guess there are many factors but it caused me to run speed tests. The answer was around 17 - 19 Mbps. Looking at the history I was getting in excess of 22 Mbps during 2019. The IP Profile seems to be set lower. Nothing has changed in the house.

The cabinet serving the house is closer to the exchange than to me. A new build estate behind me has a nice new cabinet that is a quarter of the distance to mine. Do OpenReach ever change cabinets?

Thoughts?

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Speed has dropped

@OldEngineer 

As more people take up the service and most of us do much more streaming than in the past so the crosstalk has increased, resulting in the degradation in speed.

The fibre cabinet that serves your property has to be next to a junction box that carries your telephone wire from the exchange in a multicore cable. Unless your connection is available in the junction box serving the new housing estate I would not hold out any hope of you getting hooked up to that, especially as your current speed exceeds the USO 10Mbps download limit.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

OldEngineer
Grafter

So no chance on the cabinet.

My IP Profile is set much lower than last year. It also looks like I can't get the highest speed fibre. I did worry in the week when my neighbour was investigating the excess number of wires on our joint boundary. The BT line arrives at a junction box on his wall (left over of the old shared line system?). He has Sky. The previous owner had Virgin. And the aerial cables come down the same wall. So I chatted him through the different wires and convinced him to leave the BT untouched. But the box did look very untidy.

OldEngineer
Grafter

Just found an earlier test when it was first set up. IP Profile at 24.86

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I've performed some line diagnostics for you and we're not seeing any obvious issues. Crosstalk is a very possible cause but it would still be worth going through some basic troubleshooting checks if you haven't already: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ - Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
OldEngineer
Grafter

Thanks Adam

I've carried out all the checks I can. About 18 months ago you shared the detailed diagnostics which pointed to an internal problem. OpenReach attended and changed the Master Socket which cured the problem and allowed me to get to 22-23 speed. Maybe something has dropped?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Just to check, have you noticed the drop in speeds over a wireless connection to the router? - Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
OldEngineer
Grafter

The wireless connection performance started this latest check. The BT Mobile Service should revert to "WiFi Calling" but the speech was breaking up. On this basis I checked out all the issues including Fibre Speed.

I may also need to get a WiFi Extender but I'm struggling to find one that allows you to turn off the LEDs

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK, the drop in speeds may just be down to using a wireless connection. Do you have a device you could use to run a wired speed test? - Adam

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
OldEngineer
Grafter

I'm confusing you!

This PC is hardwired to the Router. On this PC I conducted the speed tests that are showing well below 20Mbps. Previously I could get nearer 25Mbps.

The reference to the mobile is about our poor mobile signal in the house. The transmitter is about 1 mile away but the other side of next door's house. When researching moving to PlusNet Mobile I found that you did not offer WiFi Calling so I had to sign up to BT Mobile. It's this WiFi Calling that was dropping out last week and causing me to investigate any problems with the Broadband.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Ah no problem, thanks for clarifying that. As your speeds seem to be below estimates it would be best to report a fault at http://faults.plus.net please let me know when you have and we can get that raised with Openreach for you. - Adam

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team