Did you mean: 

Speed has dropped

FIXED
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Speed has dropped

Thank you for your reply.

A few weeks ago my line was stable and sycing at about 47Mbps, Minimum line speed was shown above 40Mbps and I was getting about 44Mbps at my PC (Wired connection but using Homeplug Netwoking. I can also go Wireless and Speeds are very similar).

Now looking on your site my minimum Speed is shown at 35Mbps?

How is it acceptable to simply reduce the expected speeds arbitarily?

What next? 20Mbps when my Speed drops to 35Mbps?

If I bought a van to carry A tonne and operated a delivery Service I would not expect it rebadged to 900Kg when I picked it up from a service at the dealership. "The engine was a bit rough Guv, so it wasn't pulling as well, we've derated it so you can still get up most hills".

My line can operate at speeds faster than it is currently, it's fastest ever was over 52Mbps so why has it been slowed down?

Is Fibre to the Premises available on my line? If so what speed and what cost? Everyone wants faster Broadband and reliable, it simply will not do to deliver faster speeds for a while and then take them away as if it's simply acceptable. There must be a reason for slowdown, is it Openreach changing settings?

Why can't DLM be reset?

Over to you, I'm not partiularly happy this afternoon.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @danludlow 

For clarification your minimum guaranteed speed is contractual and should not change during the course of your contract. I can see in December 2018 you agreed a minimum guaranteed of 30mbps as per this ticket reference although it looks like that wasn't applied to your account and when it was applied the minimum guaranteed had increased to 35mbps.

The minimum guaranteed speed is based on the current expectations of the line, so when we applied this to your account the expectations seem to had gone up marginally since December 2018.

We're happy to hold ourselves to the original minimum guaranteed speed although the 'revised' version is in your favour. Wink

With regards to the varying expectations of your line I'm afraid as it is Openreach's network, as a service provider this is something we've got no control over, those expectations are currently between 35.4mbps and 52.9mbps.

While upon further investigation I can see your sync speed is at 48999 kbps which is restricted by the banding of 49mbps, I fear that requesting a DLM reset to lift the banding will mean your line may start dropping or erroring again and the banding re-applied. It's difficult to advise definitively what's causing this because we can only see what line tests tell us.

Unfortunately if your speeds are stable within expectations then Openreach wouldn't investigate further.

With regards to FTTP we don't offer this and it doesn't look like it's available for your address anyway. To check this and the current speed expectations you'd just need to enter your landline phone number into the BT Broadband Availability Checker at http://dslchecker.bt.com

If you're happy for us to risk another DLM reset let me know and I'll add this back to the tracker for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for your reply Gandalf.

Was my DLM reset last week? Nothing appears to have changed.

If we ask for a reset and the line starts dropping I assume it returns to where we are now?

If so, what's to lose?

I'm happy for a reset, but if you think there's little point leave as is. Either way if DLM has slowed me and the connection becomes settled, or is settled, it will I assume start to increas the speed again? DLM is ver quick to act but slow to react seemingly.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Dan, we can't track the progress of a DLM reset so there's no way of us knowing or finding out whether the DLM reset was actioned and the line has reverted back or whether it simply wasn't carried out unfortunately.

Looking at the DLM configuration for your broadband it's set at 'Stable' which means that the DLM is going to be favouring stability over speed, so it'll be reacting to the drops more and won't hesitate to lower your speed to maintain stability. 

I've placed an order to move the stability profile to 'Standard/Speed' which should influence DLM in its decision making by increasing the threshold at the point where the DLM intervenes.

Looking back as I type this I realise I said in November Here you're already on the Standard stability profile, upon further investigation you actually aren't, so hopefully when this change goes through tomorrow it'll help avoid your speeds being banded. To try to remove the current banding quicker I'm giving the DLM reset another go.

Could you let me know how your speeds are looking by Tuesday next week? If your line carries on dropping following the reset being completed, DLM shouldn't re-apply the banding as fast anymore.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

There seems to have been a rise in speed today of about 2-3 Mbps Down. Maybe the DLM reset kicking in. It's a welcome change away from slowing anyway. I can't see what my profile is  since BTW Performance tester is not working properly (it's showing zero uplink speed and not allowing further testing which shows the Profile speed.

With the the forecast gales this weekend, It's likely that we'll suffer power cuts as we are all Overhead in my Street and there are many trees. The district is also fed by O/H 11kV supply. Hoping that the less sensitive DLM is in place!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the update @danludlow 

I'm glad to see your speeds are starting to go in the upwards direction. I'm happy to confirm that the order to change the stability profile to Speed/Standard completed yesterday morning (at 06/02/2020 04:30:12 to be precise).

Our tests are still showing your line to be banded at 49mbps but we'll see where next week takes us.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Hi Gandalf,

It's Tuesday when we were going to take stock. Good News!

We've had a number of Powercuts this weekend in the storm. Longest was Sunday when we had one lasting 6 hours, and then again yesterday we had a 2 hour powercut whilst the temp repairs of Sunday were replaced with more permanent fixes.

On return to Service yesterday the Downlink Speed has increased to 53.09Mbps at the PC whilst the profile at the Cabinet (shown on BTW Performance Test) is currently 55.42Mbps.

That's about the fastest I've ever seen it. At an estimated distance of over 800M to the Cabinet (Test figures show 820M?), in theory that's too fast.

Maybe there is newer technology in our cabinet which boosts the speed, or maybe the speed will settle back in the next few days to around 48Mbps at the PC. Whatever, it's better than the low speeds around 40Mbps (or less) I was getting after the recent slowdown.

Fingers Crossed that the DLM being a little less sensitive will help, recent powercuts suggest electric supply is a bit fragile.

Thanks for your help.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Hi Dan, thanks for the post back.

I'm glad to see your speeds have increased, looking at the speed history showing on your account that's definitely the highest recorded speed we've ever seen too for your line! Fingers crossed that it remains like this. Thumbs_Up

Seems like too much of a co-incidence to not be related to the adjustment on the DLM profile, it's likely that the software was reacting to every drop no matter how insignificant and keeping your speeds down to try to ensure a perfectly stable line.

Although the power-cuts you've had sound pretty bad, hopefully that didn't cause any other issues.

Let me know if there are any further issues or there's anything else you'd need help with.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Update. Reached the weekend with no speed reductions, all looks stable. Profile is 56.41Mbps, Speed at PC 52-53Mbps Down, around 10Mbps Up.

Never seen faster Down Speeds here.

I think you've cracked it!

Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Great success! Really good to see. Cheesy

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Hi Gandalf, My speed suddenly dropped yesterday over 5Mbs and it looks a bit slower again today. Still within perameters, but is it possible that the DLM has been changed back to "Stable" rather than the medium standard option again?

Several weeks at a steady 50Mbps at the PC and now a drop makes me wonder. Can you have a look please?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I've just checked and there's been no change to DLM other than a change in speeds o the 16th. Things have swung back since then so I've just changed the profile on your account to 48.8mbps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thank You adamwalker.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

My speed seems lower again this morning can you check my line please?

Buttercup
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi @danludlow, I can see your line is syncing at 48.9Mbps, but DLM may be at it again. I've placed the same order as my colleagues to make sure everything is as it should be, and this should complete over the next 24 hours.

Please keep an eye on this, and keep me updated on if you see any improvements.

Jess Moore
 Plusnet Help Team