Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed has dropped

FIXED
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Speed has dropped

My speed for many weeks/ Months has been 47Mbps Down at my PC and about 50Mbps or slightly higher in my Router. The Uplink Speed has often shown itself to exceed 14Mbps, sometimes it exceeded 20 which its top limit, so I don't view the Uplink speed as accurate, simply a guide that it's OK.

About 4 weeks ago the uplink speed dropped to below 10Mbps and it has never exceeded that since, in fact it seems locked at about 9.6Mbps, certainly below 10Mbps, which previously it never fell below, always 10.something or much higher on tests.

My downlink speed has decayed over the last week or so to the point where it sits just above my Minimum guranteed speed, almost as if deliberate.

Looking at the BTW Performance Test, I see that my profile has been lowered to about 43Mbps from about 48Mbps, that is over 10%.

Has DLM kicked in, if so, why?

Have Openreach Deliberately slowed me down? again, if so, why?

29 REPLIES 29
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Speed has dropped

Hi Dan, I'm sorry to see you're experiencing speed problems. Line tests aren't showing any issues but I can see that the DLM has artificially restricted your download sync speed to 49mbps which would explain the IP/bRAS profile of around 43mbps as that should sit just under the sync speed of a connection.

Looking at what's known as RRT(Reactive Repair Tool) data I can see your line has been erroring quite a bit over the past 30 days so this may have triggered the DLM software to slow your speeds down.

I've arranged for another DLM reset which should go through within the next 3 working days.

Can you let us know if you've not seen an increase by Thursday so we can investigate further?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thank you Gandalf. I was not aware of the line erroring frequently. One evening last week I noticed that the Router (PlusNet Hub One) had an Orange light, it remained thus for half an hour or so and then returned to Blue. This would have been about 01.30 and so I assumed that work was being carried out on the line by Openreach. Speed seemed normal next day. This last week I lost connection briefly but the light stayed blue.

It sounds as though there have been other breaks.

I'll let you know if there's been no speed increase by Thursday, hopefully all will return to normal, Fingers Crossed!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, looking at a 30 day view of your connection there has been a relatively fair number of drops which may have contributed towards the banding that DLM has applied.

Fingers crossed indeed by Thursday your speeds are back up!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for posting the Connection details, I can see that would probably trigger DLM, I wasn't aware of all of them. I can see the long disconnect where the router light went Orange was Thursday 9th at 01.30. I assume that was a line disconnect externally by Openreach. I therefore also assume that the other disconnects are external, but maybe they are not? Do routers fail? This one is the second I've had replacing another after disconnecting issues but having swapped I'm not sure that the original was at fault now.

Time will tell, I guess.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It'd be difficult to tell wif the disconnections are external or internal and it's possible the router's the cause for the problem as routers can fail although the last router we sent you looks to have been in September last year so not too long ago.

Having said that I agree if you've had the same issues before we replaced the router then it may be that something else is the problem here. Is your router plugged into the master phone socket?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Yes, plugged into the master Socket which itself was upgraded by Openreach last year.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ahh cheers for confirming so we can rule out an internal wiring issue.

Let's wait until the DLM is reset and we'll go from there and arrange another engineer if we need to.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

We've reached Friday with no improvement in speed, it has all the appearance of the DLM not being reset, is it possible to remind Openreach that this reset was requested on Sunday and can they get it reset now please?

Am I still having disconnects? can you run a chart off please and post it?

I had a powercut on Wednesday early on, a short one like switching or re-routing supplies. It might have affected only our road or the district. if only our road the cabinet would be unaffected (on a different local transformer and it has batteries anyway I think) and would see my disconnect as my router.

There was another brief power cut this morning, both should show up, but am I still disconnecting too frequently as far as the Cabinet and DLM is concerned? Apart from the power cuts i haven't noticed any disconnects.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @danludlow, having checked we aren't seeing any improvement this side after the reset.

The connection looks to be stable (other than the drops you have explained), here's the graph:

We can request a reset again but there's no guarantee this will make a difference and so the other option we have here is to raise a fault and go down the engineer route - if you'd rather do this can you please log the fault here and let us know once done.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks LaurenB for posting the graph, it looks very stable recently, just the two powercuts. If instability caused DLM to lower the speed I would have thought it would have started to raise it by now.

Did they actually reset DLM? I can't see any change and surely it would have chnaged speed on a reset?

Can you request another reset please? I think that is a good first step before arranging an Engineer. Speed has been stable and fast for many weeks before this sudden drop. If a reset goes nowhere i'll report it as a fault.

Thanks.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Further to this, still no chnage in speed. Profile was reduced at the Cabinet to lower to current speed.

The chart shows a fairly stable connection bar two power cuts. Unfortunately last night we had two more power cuts after midnight roughly half an hour apart, the second one wasn't clean and outside lights flickered, a trip on an internal sockets ring dropped out.

We seem to have issues with our local electrical supply at the moment but why should we suffer broadband speed reduction as a result? Can DLM be programmed not to react to the odd dropout, only when there a series withing a timespan?

Finally, can my DLM be reset again please and can you get confirmation from Openreach that it has been because I don't reckon they did last week.

Thanks.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Thanks for coming back to us.

I've done another line test, and whilst the line is still banded, it's banded to a higher rate than your sync rate. For that reason, asking OR to unband the line will (in this case) fail.

Unfortunately, on fibre, our options are limited in terms of changing settings.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for your reply plusnettony.

So how dow we resolve getting the speed to sync at the speeds that it has been running at previously for many months?

My Profile speed has been lowered. Obviously my line is capable of higher speeds so why has it slowed down or been slowed down?

I await your reply with interest.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

We can't I'm afraid, this is as the line is syncing at a speed just below the top level of the banding. 

As DLM for fibre is automated we're not able to be aware of the exact reason but it does work both ways so there's every chance that automation will remove the banding if sync speeds improve. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team