cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed has dropped off.

Bluesplayer
Grafter

Speed has dropped off.

I received the email below on the 5th March.  Checking the speed tonight it has fallen off at least 15MB from the usual 30-35MB I was originally getting with Unlimited Fibre.  I haven't received a confirmation email with regard to the change back mentioned but something has been altered as my speed was over 45MB for a while there, now it is around 20MB.

Email contents ...

Hello Mark

At Plusnet we believe in being honest and straight talking. We've recently become aware of a problem with your broadband, which means you have been set-up on Unlimited Fibre Extra (66Mbps average download speed) rather than the Unlimited Fibre product (36Mbps average download speed) that you signed up to.

We will need to work with our suppliers to update your service to make sure you're getting the right product you signed up to. We will make this change within the next month.

When your service switches over there might be small drop in connection. Usually this will happen overnight and your router will reconnect by itself. If it doesn't don't worry, you'll just need to restart your router by switching it off and back on again.

We'll let you know once the update has completed. We're sorry if this causes you any inconvenience. If you do have any questions or problems give us a call on 0800 432 0200 and we'll be happy to help.

Best wishes,

The Plusnet Team

Am I on Unlimited Fibre now or something else?

Regards

Mark

4 REPLIES 4
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Speed has dropped off.

Hi @Bluesplayer 

You might want to read this as you're not the first, nor imho the last.

I'm guessing here, but you may have once had 40/20, which Plusnet changed to 55/10, which is now 40/10.

Plusnet should be able to put you back to where you were before the email.

Just a case of waiting on them to pick this up Wink

Hopefully yours will be a smoother transition back...?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Mark.

I'm sorry to see your speeds have dropped.

It looks like you were on our 40/20 package long ago which was the supplier product of 80/20 capped down to 40mbps by us. When we withdrew that package we provided you with 55/10 but it looks like you were still provisioned on 80/20 at a wholesale level.

During product alignment work we're matching up the supplier product with the account, but as Unlimited Fibre is now a 40/10 package it looks like we've moved you down to 40/10 in error. 

I've placed an order to upgrade you back to 55/10 and passed this to a the project owner in charge to try to ensure you're taken out of the automated product alignment work so we shouldn't be downgrading you again.

Regarding your speeds of 20mbps you're seeing, our tests aren't finding any cause for this drop. Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bluesplayer
Grafter

I'm running both - wired and wireless.  Today the speed is where it used to be - around 33MB download and 6-8MB upload (on the wired), whereas last night it was hovering around 20MB download (even after restarting the modems - I have 2).  When on the faster fibre the speed rose to around 45MB download.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hmm, I can't see anything which may have been limiting your speeds to 20mbps. Let us know if it drops again. You should also be moved back on to 55/10 tomorrow, let us know how that goes too.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet