Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed has dropped from 51MB to 39MB

mdm1982
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Speed has dropped from 51MB to 39MB

Hi,

Just wondering if a Plusnet forum admin could help with this as I’m not really getting anywhere via the fault system. My fault ID is 197415362. I logged a fault on the 27/12/19 regarding my speed dropping from 51MB to 39MB I was due a BT engineer visit on the 03/01/20 but the engineer never showed. I have since been told by the support staff that the engineer request didn’t get through to the supplier hence why they didn’t show. The support desk now say there isn't any need for a BT engineer visit and the speed I am now left with is acceptable and that is that. I have been synced at 51MB for at least three years without any issues and due to my connection loosing sync various times DLM has dropped the speed and it’s now stuck at 39MB. Banding is also enabled on my connection. Would it be possible to request a DLM reset and remove banding please as this will hopefully restore my previous speeds.

9 REPLIES 9
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Re: Speed has dropped from 51MB to 39MB

Hi @mdm1982, thank you for getting in touch.

Checking from this side everything is looking spot on to the router and with barely any drops and with speeds of 38.2Mbps which are within your estimate. Your profile speed is not banded as displayed below. I am afraid since your speeds are within the estimates, there is nothing much that can be done as speeds are expected to fluctuate within the range of your estimates.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 38.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 5.5 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 792.7
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-49M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-8.5M Upstream, Retransmission High
Time Stamp 2019-12-26T15:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 39.9 Mbps 48.9 Mbps 40.6 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 5.8 Mbps 6.1 Mbps 5.9 Mbps
Up Time 2.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 885.7 Sec
Retrains 0.0 6.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2020-01-08T14:50:59Z 2020-01-08T15:05:59Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
mdm1982
Rising Star

Hi,

Thanks for coming back to me. I just don’t understand why my SNR changed from 3 to 7 overnight on Xmas eve? I have rebooted my router a few times when I was attempting to add an IPV6 tunnel but it was a max of 15-20 times at most. It’s just frustrating that I have lost that amount of speed in such a short period of time and it has been synced at 51MB for several years without any frequent loss of sync. Is there absolutely nothing else that can be done? Could a DLM reset not be requested via your supplier? I was on the understanding this is now an option for ISP’s if the customer requests it? I can only think this has happened due to me rebooting my router before xmas and DLM has kicked in. I have relied heavily on the extra bandwidth I had as I work from home providing remote IT support to various clients.
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@mdm1982,

Just to clarify we can't just request a reset because the customer wants it. Fibre resets are part of a trial service with BT Wholesale and ISPs can only put through a certain number of requests per day, so there are 'rules'.

We can request a reset when it's required, which luckily in your case I think one will benefit you - you'll see from your profile it's actually capped to a max 49Mbps down and 8.5Mbps up (today this has worsened to 44 down and 7.7 up) - the older product you're on should get 80/20. So I'll request the reset be put through, it can take up to 72 hours to take full effect. It looks like the recent drops you've had on your line have flagged it as unstable which has caused the dip, and probably the SNR changes.

mdm1982
Rising Star

Hi JOLO,

Many thanks for your quick reply. Apologies I miss understood the procedure for DLM resets. I did notice my profile had dropped from 0128M-80 to 0128M-49 and now 0128M-44. This is why I said my connection was banded but the previous forum admin seemed to think that was not the case? Anyway many thanks for requesting a reset. I will advise after the weekend on how things are looking.
mdm1982
Rising Star

Hi JOLO,

Just wanted to confirm the reset request went through ok? I have checked my dsl stats and nothing has changed and my router hasn’t re-synced yet? I would of expected this to of happened last night? Or does it take 72 hours for the actual reset request to go through sorry?
TedT
Grafter
Fixes: 3

Thank you for your reply, Your details have been added to our trail and as such we are just awaiting this being processed by our suppliers. In all honesty this is likely to be early next week. We appreciate your patience on this case.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Kevin T
 Plusnet Help Team
mdm1982
Rising Star

Hi,

Sorry to be a pain but there is still no sign of a DLM reset on my connection? Do you know when it's likely to happen please?

mdm1982
Rising Star

Hi,

Please could someone come back to me. A DLM reset was requested last week but it still hasn’t happened? If somebody could advise please.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @mdm1982 Apologies for the delayed response, while we aim to respond as quickly as possible I'm afraid that we can't always guarantee an immediate response to a thread.

I can see we added you to the DLM reset tracker last Thursday and this should've gone through on Monday. As I can see yur speeds are still artificially restricted we've resubmitted the request today.

Our suppliers advise to allow 3 working days for a DLM reset so I'd recommend checking back on Tuesday. This will allow them 3 full working days. If your speeds remain restricted then we may need to arrange an engineer to get this done.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet