cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed has dropped a bit

paulpicks21
Grafter

Speed has dropped a bit

For a very long time we used to get 76meg in all speed tests but I have noticed it going down slowly but surely and it's now down to around 69-70meg.
In the member center it says the line speed is 78meg. I understand it is expected to be lower in reality to that but is 69-70meg a bit low? And if it is, is there anything that can be done about it on Plusnet side of things?
I have not changed anything my end, still have 2 PC's both pretty high end. Not changed any cabling or router and all speed tests are done wired.
Cheers
Paul.
11 REPLIES 11
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Speed has dropped a bit

The line is very stable, no disconnections for 18 days. Your router is connected at 80Mb to the exchange, which is what I'd expect. The profile on our side is actually slightly wrong, but shouldn't be causing restrictions to you.
Sometimes the very technical fix of a disconnect/reconnect can help! Can you give that a go?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
paulpicks21
Grafter

Sure Chris, are we talking about the netgear router or the openreach one?
Cheers
Chris
Legend

The netgear router firstly. The sync to the exchange is good, so I'm just wanting to try a reconnect as a first step really. There's absolutely no issues showing on the test I ran from our side.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
paulpicks21
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Ok so I powered off the netgear for around 5 mins. No difference in speed. Still 69-70meg.
Cheers.
paulpicks21
Grafter

I assume you are trying something your end as the internet is down at the moment.
Chris
Legend

I wasn't no, I hadn't noticed your reply to this thread so hadn't done anything else yet. I'm going to run a line test now, can you let me know which lights are lit on the modem and the router?
paulpicks21
Grafter

Oh dear. Don't know what has happened then.
Basically the dsl is not lit on the open reach modem. Let me know if I should power cycle that.
Chris
Legend

It's certainly worth a try, the test results are showing it's out of sync too.

Let me know how that goes and if it's still offline we'll do some digging.
paulpicks21
Grafter

Ok, back online now Chris.
Somehow (and I don't know when) the clip that holds the dsl cable in has snapped off and it looks like with me disturbing the router and modem earlier it must have just dropped out after my last speed tests. It's plugging in and working fine again now.
Onto speeds, it looks like that cable falling out has helped the speed. It's now at around 73.4meg in speed tests. Not quite the 76meg that we had before but certainly a good improvement.

Cheers.
Chris
Legend

Phew! I'm glad it was something simple! The speed is looking much closer to what you had previously, so hopefully it'll sneak back to where it was.
paulpicks21
Grafter

Thanks Chris, yes it was a bit of a worry lol.
Thanks for your help.

Paul.