cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed getting slower and slower.

Maxam
Grafter

Speed getting slower and slower.

This time last year I was getting 35mb speed, since then my speed has slowly decreased. Now I'm getting 28.5mb. Checking with the BT Wholesale site it says my IP Profile is 30mb which is the lowest it's ever been. Is there a reason why this keeps lowering and can someone check why my speed has dropped 6.5mb in one year?

16 REPLIES 16
Maxam
Grafter

Re: Speed getting slower and slower.

Bumping. Can anyone check my line to see why the speed has decreased to much?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi there,

I'm sorry that your thread hasn't been replied to, and you're having speed issues. Testing your line isn't identifying why the speed has dropped.

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 33.5 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps
Voice Line Test Result Pass

It could be due to a variety of factors; external or internal. As your router is within the speed estimate for the line, we wouldn't be able to raise a fault on this.

However, where's your router currently connected? If you're not using your test socket I'd probably first advise to try that. Explained here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Maxam
Grafter

Thank you for the reply @Anoush, I do have the router connected through an extension cable which I have to use for where my PC is situated so I can't change that.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

It would come at some additional cost to you, but could you not plug the router into the master socket, then run a long ethernet cable in place of the extension cable?

(it might not be practical, but simply offering it as a suggestion/solution)

Maxam
Grafter

I have it the other way around, the long ethernet/extention cable is connected from the master socket to the router.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Is it possible to connect your router closer to the master socket then plug your PC into the router using a long Ethernet cable?
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Maxam
Grafter

@Anoush Sadly no, I have other devices connected to the router in the same room.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Ah I see. Fingers crossed the speed doesn't drop much more.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@Maxam wrote:

@Anoush Sadly no, I have other devices connected to the router in the same room.

So it adds a little more expense but buy a switch. Move the router closer to your master socket, put the switch where your router currently is and connect the two using a long Ethernet cable. Then plug your devices into the switch.

Having said that though I'd test the speed without the extension cable before committing to the Ethernet cable and switch. Reducing the total cable length between router and cabinet by ten metres may not make much difference if there's already 500 metres or more of it.

Maxam
Grafter

It's only a 15 meter cable. I doubt putting another device in the middle would make much difference. My speed has been fine with the set up I have for over a year, only the last few weeks has it dropped to give me concern. What interests me is why on the BT Wholesale site it says my IP Profile is 30mb, that is the lowest it has ever been.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

The IP profile should always sit just below the sync speed.
Maxam
Grafter

Thank you @Anoush, I was getting just over 35mb a year ago with the same set up. I just hope the speed doesn't drop further.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I think I understand Maxam now, as I'm in a similar position (and concern)

I used to get this in my data transfer speed

Used to be.JPG

That dropped to as low as 20.8 Mb for a few weeks has now slightly increased to

Speed now.JPG

So, as I mentioned on other posts, I'm now getting less than the minimum estimate, possibly Maxam is either close to or also below their estimate too....?

(in my case, as proved in a post, my GEA test (that I found in a ticket so might be out of date) results show no interference) - so why the drop...?

Gregg
Grafter

Even if you get a faster profile you won't get better speeds. My profile is 65mbit and I still get 20mbit speeds most of the time. I rent a gigabit server so I definitely have the bandwidth and used to get 80/20mbit on my previous house. But after moving i am getting 20mbit most of the time. Personally I think the situation is that they don't actually have the bandwidth with the tier 1 ISP any longer. They are over subscribing their networks and basically charging for 80mbit but offering 20mbit. That is how they operate now and it is a shame but what can anyone do but put up with it or move house and change ISP. They just come out with the same bs "line issue" non sense and waste open reach time and the customers time and money, every time.