cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed fallen over 20%

mdr
Hooked

Speed fallen over 20%

Hi, my speed has been falling month by month to the point I've gone from 59.97mbps down to a current low of 47.21mbps, and I imagine it will keep going down, my upload was as low as 7.xxmbps until a reboot. I've called the helpline and whilst polite and helpful, as it's within the estimate there isn't anything they can do, meanwhile I'm down over 20%. You can see my openreach line ranges have dropped significantly as well. Can this be looked into please. I'm also getting more disconnections than I used to, not loads but a few a week.

openreach best speed.png

openreach-old1.jpgopenreach-new2.jpg

22 REPLIES 22
mdr
Hooked

Re: Speed fallen over 20%

These are stats from you last September, a long way from the 47 I have now.

Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 56.7 Mbps 59.9 Mbps 59.7 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 11.5 Mbps 15.3 Mbps 15.0 Mbps
Up Time 782.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

mdr
Hooked

Thanks but I've done that but it looks like I'm just setting up a phone call, they've already said they don't see a 20% drop as an issue which is pretty useless. Meanwhile I'm on below 50mbps now which I've never had with the 3 other ISP's I've had at this address, contract renewal is due in October and this isn't encouraging me to renew...

Why is my Download Line Profile so low?

Also "Your estimates are 44 - 65 down and 11-17 up" a year ago.After reporting the fault the email I got says my minimum is 32.3mbps, I'd say it's bordering on fraud to lower the estimates as the achieved speed lowers.

plusnet-slow-speed.JPG

mdr
Hooked

Any chance of an update? No response on here or my ticket for a week now, speeds are still really poor.

OhWell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've got pretty much the same situation as you - on the 66Mbps top package, and at first was hitting 57Mbps. But now dipped below 50 and looking like no sign of stopping.

I am wondering if it the strain on the infrastructure, as there are a lot of new housing developments popping up around me.

I did raise a ticket, but the value falls within their minimum guaranteed speed of 30 something Mbps. They said the next stage I could get charged £65 if it was deemed to be my wiring, so I gave up.
Phar
Dabbler

Good luck.I have exactly the same challenge as logged here earlier this week:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/71-down-to-55Mb/td-p/1764490

Plusnet support are hiding behind the estimated range despite having dropped 20Mb in speeds over 3 months . Tickets go unanswered. 4 OpenReach engineer appointments have been all no shows. No accountability, no communication, no response when asked for updates.

I know the Plusnet Support team monitoring this forum have read my thread but they seem to choose to ignore too.

I know we're living in unprecidented times and I appreciate customers with connection outages need to be prioritised but my line stability challenges have been ongoing since March now and the support I've had despite exercising patience has been really really bad.

I shall be voting with my feet as when a company doesn't care for my patronage, I no longer wish to do business with the company. There's plenty of others to choose from.

OhWell
Rising Star

I guess the unprecidented times bit may also be the cause - everyone WFH eating up the bandwidth or whatever.

But it is still poor customer service from PN, who I originally thought were better than the other ISPs at that.

What they could do, is issue a token partial refund for the reduced service. I won't hold my breath though....
Phar
Dabbler

The problem is a lack of communication and transparancy from Plusnet and Openreach.

If we were told that there are pockets of issues with Openreach's infrastructure not keeping up with demand - if we were told that once you logged a speed fault you would remain at the bottom of the queue to prioritise those with no connection - if we were told that you could expect no response from Plusnet staff on a community forum then our expectations are managed and we know as customers what to expect.

....but we're not. We're told to post here, we're told to log speed fault tickets and we're told to call Support helplines....but when we as paying customer do all that and it goes into a seemingly blackhole where there us no longer any accountablility. And if you're lucky enough to get a response, support teams high behind the speed estimate story and claim there is no fault to investigate.

In my situation how a sudden drop from 71Mb to 50Mb isn't considered a fault is beyond me.

mdr
Hooked

I just get an occasional you're within estimates message and no desire to help at all, luckily I'm out of contract in a month so will go elsewhere if plusnet have no desire to assist or acknowledge a 20% drop in speed is an issue.

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Good morning @mdr I can see that since this post that you've had an update on your speed fault. I can see that your Minimum Guaranteed Speed is 32.3mbps and your line is performing above that speed, therefore we cannot progress the fault. 

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
Phar
Dabbler

Ah, this is the new party line message it seems. I was given the same despite dropping from 71Mb to 45Mb. My 'minimum speed' estimate is 44Mb and after 2 tickets spanning 6 months with this speed fault this is now the response I get too. 1Mb higher than the estimate = no fault. 1Mb lower = a fault. No pragmatism at all.

How a drop of 71Mb to 45Mb isn't considered a fault is beyond me. Too bad I fell for the 'we'll do you proud' marketing. My contract is up in 2 months. I'm off!

mdr
Hooked

Thanks @tinytaco , I can see that you don't see a 20% drop in speed as an issue so you can see me leaving plusnet in a month 😂

OhWell
Rising Star

PN started out very good for me, but I've noticed a speed drop like you guys over the last couple of months.

I've attributed it to a combination of new housing estates and increased working from home loading the infrastructure.

It is still crappy customer service to hide behind a minimum guaranteed speed figure. Why not a partial refund or bill reduction as a gesture of goodwill?

Unfortunately I think unless you move to VM, all the ISPs that use the BT infrastructure will be the same.
adsrox0r
Dabbler

ISP's should not be permitted to use the phrase 'guaranteed minimum speed'. I know this from personal experience a year ago with a line that underperforms and is below the 'guaranteed speed', ISP's response? You can cancel for free then. Oh....awesome, I'll go to another provider and get....exactly the same speed. Great, thank god for a guarantee that's really worked out for me there then.