cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropped off a cliff overnight.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Speed dropped off a cliff overnight.

Keep an eye on it and let us know if your speed keeps dropping as we’d likely need to arrange another engineer visit to take a closer look. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Bill_C
Rising Star

Will do.

It has been stable for the past 24 hours (good speeds and no disconnects)
Hopefully everything has been sorted.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Fingers crossed! Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Bill_C
Rising Star

Everything's been stable over the past few days.
Think things are good.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Awesome Thumbs_Up let us know if it goes wonky again or there’s anything else you’d need help with 

Bill_C
Rising Star

Looks like the issue is back.

Line profile dropped down to 20Mbps

Looked like I was getting disconnects every 3 or 4 days. Would that cause the profile to be reduced?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

There seems to be something a bit odd here ... looking that first post, whilst your were reporting 14mbps (data?) speed tests, the router sync speed was circa 49mbps.

When examining speed "issues" one needs to take care that apples are not compared to pears.

If the measured DATA speed is significantly different to the SYNC speed then one has to consider that the problem is not the router to exchange link but somewhere else...

• Activity on the PC
  • Activity on the LAN during the test
  • WiFi performance if the test was not conducted on a wired device with the device's WiFi disabled
  • Significant error rates on the line causing excessive data retransmission - possibly due to a line in-balance / susceptibility to RFI / REIN
  • Exchange back haul being hot (over loaded)

Whenever DATA speed test reports are referenced, it is most helpful to also share the contemporaneous SYNC speeds from the router housekeeping page.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bill_C
Rising Star

I've been getting 2 problems : (**NOTE** support ticket has more info than this forum post and this is only for info and general "get it off my chest" moaning and complaining) Cheesy

Also all tests were done on a single wired connection to the hub.

First one (Which was fixed i think) was the LOW data transmission speeds i.e. connected at +47Mbps but the the actual data speed when tested using BTwholesale it showed i was connected at 47Mbps but the max speed during the test was only 14Mbps (i.e. 1/4 what i should be getting)
An engineer came out checked a few things replaced the filter on the Master-socket and speeds were good. (and increased the profile to 52Mbps)

Second thing was the disconnects which seem to happen ever 3 to 4 days and I think this has caused my line profile to drop down to 18Mbps and lower, even though the BT engineer said the line supported 52Mbps speeds.

Everything was fine until an "External contractor" was in the area pulling Fibre Cables for a new housing estate being build next door.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Bill_C  Looks like you have a line fault (again?)

Your downstream sync speed has dropped from over 60Mbps to this ......

14:29:07, 31 May. (866180.680000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=22505Kbps, Up Rate=5987Kbps; SNR Margin Down=4.2dB, Up=6.0dB

Do you have an open ticket you can raise a comment on? I think you will need an engineer visit.😒

Bill_C
Rising Star

@RealAleMadrid 
it's an open ticket Cheesy  already had an engineer out a couple of weeks ago which seemed to solve things apart from the disconnects every 3 to 4 days.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Looks like you need another engineer out to see what is going on.  The disconnections and speed issues are related.

Are you using the Plusnet Hub One router?  I ask because the xDSL establishment log entries do not consistently report a 6dB SNRM.  The figures vary, some 4dB, some 5dB which is indicative of a router seeking to force a SNRM different to that sought by the DLM.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bill_C
Rising Star

@Townman Yup Using PlusNet Hub One Router.

Would a full Factory reset of the router help/make a difference ?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Bill_C  The previous engineer has not fixed the fault, a router reset is not going to fix it either.

Bill_C
Rising Star

Just did a factory reset of the router (just in case something went screwy with any of the settings)

OK I know it might NOT make any difference but I think it's good practice, while waiting around, to try somehing to remove it from the equation Cheesy

So far no difference but I think the line profile would need to be changed manually/automagically at Plus.net's end (If I remember correctly)  Will see if the line is stable for the next few days or till I get notified of an appointment for an Engineer's visit Cheesy

Side note I have a spare huawei hg612 as well as a TP-Link TD-W9970 modem/router I could use if it's any help. Cheesy

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hey Bill, sorry to see you're still having issues and apologies for the delayed staff response.

Line tests are showing a high resistance fault on the line again so we'd need to arrange another engineer appointment to investigate further. Could you reply to your ticket 214457088 with when some days you'd be free for a visit?

Feel free to post back once you've responded and we'll get that booked in as soon as we can. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet