cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropped from 74Mbps to 62

disposalist
Grafter

Re: Speed dropped from 74Mbps to 62

Well the good news for my situation is it turns out there is a problem with the "virtual pathway" and contention on it.  The bit responsible will get upgraded in July.  50% of bills until then, so... pretty good marks for Plusnet.

It's a relief to me that it's something so readily obvious (to them) and fixable.  We all know it so often isn't that straight forward...  Good luck everyone else...

dfunked
Grafter

Glad you're on track to sort yours out...
I've decided to put up with mine for a couple of weeks without touching the router (62mbps is hardly third world internet, and the pings are still fine for the kind of games I play)

Will see if DLM does its thing and raise a fault if not.
brookheather
Rising Star

I left my router alone for a week and then rebooted it a couple of times disabling/reenabling G.INP to see if that would make any difference - it didn't and my interleave depth ended up increasing from 1100 to 2300 - I assume this was due to restarting the router!

BT FTTP 500 + pfSense + Uniquiti Unifi 6 Pro
dfunked
Grafter

It's gone up to 69Mb with fastpath on uploads now, so slowly getting there! Smiley
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

I appreciate I'm exhuming an old thread; but there is currently a suggestion at the end of this thread on the Asus User Forum that the latest firmwares for the DSL-AC68U may be having problems dealing correctly with G.INP on BTOR infrastructure, and falling back to an Interleaved connection (and hence lower speeds).

brookheather
Rising Star

I might try the beta 7712 firmware later tonight as downstream is still stuck on interleaved with no G.INP.  I have access to a second DSL-AC68U router at a near neighbour - they are on a different cabinet and closer so getting the full 80/20 speeds - their router is on the same 7361 firmware and is showing download FastPath and G.INP (ITU G.993.2(VDSL2)GPDS) so it is possible to have G.INP with this firmware but maybe only if you're on FastPath?  I'm not sure why I am still not on FastPath as I have very low errors and a decent 75/20 speed.

dfunked
Grafter

I've decided to join team "ugh! mediatek garbage!"
Mine is still stuck on interleaved a few months later, and only ever recovered back to 70Mbps. Did a bit more digging and the complaints really do seem to be a lot more commonplace than the few I'd seen on this forum previously.
Ordered a DSL AC88U along with a PCE AC88U for the hell of it, so I'll report back if the Broadcom DSL chipset offers any improvements.

Still seems weird that mine worked flawlessly for the guts of 2 years, then just went down to interleaved and never recovered.

/edit
Missed NorthPole's reply... I'll give that a look too as won't be getting the new router until next week, cheers for the update!

brookheather
Rising Star

I installed 7712 last night and no improvement - still no G.INP and interleaved downstream.  I will be interested in how the AC88U works.

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

@brookheather wrote:

so it is possible to have G.INP with this firmware but maybe only if you're on FastPath?

brookheather, I think the Asus wrongly reports the connection as being Fastpath even when G.INP is being applied; IIRC a true Fastpath connection has no error correction applied at all.

dfunked
Grafter

Tried the AC88U for an evening and ended up returning it (it's bloody massive, ugly as sin and more importantly was missold as supporting link aggregation). Didn't see my connection go back to fastpath at any point while using it, but it was only a matter of hours so not too surprising.

Updated my AC68U to the latest official firmware (7361) before I plugged it back in and it was showing interleaved on download, but seemed to reconnect as fastpath overnight. Had a power cut last night which seems to have knocked it back to interleaved, but my data rate has been slowly climbing up since then (currently at 77367 which is the highest I've seen it in months)

Now I'm in the annoying position of not knowing if it was the AC88U that prompted the change back to fastpath, or if it's the new firmware...

Very happy with my current connection though, so will leave it for a while and keep an eye on the thread NothPole posted...

brookheather
Rising Star

Build 7712 is now officially released - not that it changes anything for me..

dfunked
Grafter

Cheers... I'll give that one a shot now (and will probably send my perfectly fine connection back to the dark ages in the process...)
disposalist
Grafter

The latest firmware made no difference for me.  Plusnet tell me the exchange has been worked on and the problem fixed, but my latency variation (and even packet loss) continues, mostly at busy times (after school until midnight).

Anyone else got any news?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/6eefbdb06e4004a9c2903c7fe7b0da32-17-07-2...

dfunked
Grafter

Mine is stuck on interleaved on download still and fastpath on the upload. Speeds are back to normal (mid 70s) and pings are often down to single digits, so I've just decided to leave it be. If it ever goes [-Censored-] up again I'll probably look at getting an external Huawei modem to match my cabinet.
disposalist
Grafter

Do you play any online games?  My problem isn't download speed and normal ping - that's usually good - but is latency variation (ping changing wildly) and packet loss.