cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropped from 74Mbps to 62

FrazUK
Grafter

Re: Speed dropped from 74Mbps to 62

About a week ago I noticed my line had interleaving enabled after being on fastpath since I joined plusnet about 3 months ago. It's doubled my pings, from 8-9ms to 17-18ms to bbc.co.uk and google.co.uk and from 26ms to 52ms in CS GO.

disposalist
Grafter

@ejs wrote:

Plusnet does not really have any direct control over anything at the DSL level for the Asus to be compatible with or not - it's either BTWholesale equipment in the exchanges for ADSL, or Openreach equipment in the cabinets for FTTC. If the Asus does not work properly with the broadband infrastructure in this country, then it's a problem for Asus to deal with, not Plusnet.

It's far from established that the router is to blame - it's just a suspicion because of the near timing - and while Plusnet may have no direct control over Openreach equipment, they have more influence than me and if an investigation is needed should know exactly who and what to contact to get things resolved quickly.

If Plusnet have no control over their customers' profiles or settings that's pretty poor.  I had problems with TalkTalk previously, but they at least had control over things like whether you used FastPath or Interleaved and what SNR margin you wished to attempt, etc.

If Plusnet just hand responsibility over to automated systems which switch settings that's not good.

I'm currently seeing line attenuation of 7.3db and SNR margin of 7.8 which I believe are good figures.

Also, though, I have had 15,000 CRC errors in the last 7 days and am seeing very variable ping and packets dropped.

I don't think that is likely a router problem.

dfunked
Grafter

Got in touch with live chat and they've done a line reset, so will give that 24 hours and see how that goes...

FrazUK
Grafter

Huh?

From what I understand plusnet (and any other provider) can't perform line resets and an VDSL service. It takes an openreach engineer to come out to the cabinet and reset your profile there.

The only services that any ISP has control over the line settings are adsl services.

Or something changed that I havn't heard about?

dfunked
Grafter

Well they also told me to "reboot" my router by putting a pin or toothpick in the reset hole for 30 seconds, so possibly not the most clued up agent...

The below is showing as 78Mb now (had dropped to 60), so maybe they were just referring to that.
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

@ejs wrote:

If the Asus does not work properly with the broadband infrastructure in this country, then it's a problem for Asus to deal with, not Plusnet.

The sudden upsurge in reports by users of Asus routers that they have been put onto an interleaved connection suggests to me that there has been some major work on the Plusnet infrastructure recently, causing error bursts and/or multiple disconnections, which has in turn caused DLM to intervene. I doubt that either Plusnet or Asus can do much about this, or that there has been any change in VDSL protocols; and hope that after a period of stability DLM will automatically remove the interleaving.

brookheather
Rising Star

@FrazUK wrote:

About a week ago I noticed my line had interleaving enabled after being on fastpath since I joined plusnet about 3 months ago. It's doubled my pings, from 8-9ms to 17-18ms to bbc.co.uk and google.co.uk and from 26ms to 52ms in CS GO.

Which router are you using?

BT FTTP 500 + pfSense + Uniquiti Unifi 6 Pro
FrazUK
Grafter

Oh sorry i forgot to mention my router, its not Asus but a TP-Link w9980

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@NorthPole wrote:

@ejs wrote:

If the Asus does not work properly with the broadband infrastructure in this country, then it's a problem for Asus to deal with, not Plusnet.

The sudden upsurge in reports by users of Asus routers that they have been put onto an interleaved connection suggests to me that there has been some major work on the Plusnet infrastructure recently, causing error bursts and/or multiple disconnections, which has in turn caused DLM to intervene. I doubt that either Plusnet or Asus can do much about this, or that there has been any change in VDSL protocols; and hope that after a period of stability DLM will automatically remove the interleaving.

There is no such Plusnet infrastructure that could possibly affect the VDSL2 or ADSLx connection over your phone line between your house and cabinet or exchange. The only infrastructure Plusnet has is in datacentres, nowhere near your line.

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

ejs, the Plusnet Service Notices specifically mention that customers may be disconnected from the internet as a consequence of network maintenance work (granted it may be carried out by BTOR), even where it's not local to their exchange.

dfunked
Grafter

Any chance of someone at PN taking a look at this now that we're well over a week past the day I posted this?...

Whoever I spoke with last week on live chat didn't resolve the issue, they just seem to have reset my line speed on the below, which isn't going to help with the rate the router syncs at...

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Slightly annoyed that you seem to have just removed the option to log tickets, instead only giving us the option of live chat or call...

ejs
Aspiring Hero

@NorthPole wrote:

ejs, the Plusnet Service Notices specifically mention that customers may be disconnected from the internet as a consequence of network maintenance work (granted it may be carried out by BTOR), even where it's not local to their exchange.

Which has no effect on the VDSL2 (or ADSL) link to their cabinet (or exchange). They might well lose their PPP connection, but this would have no consequence for the DLM. I think those notices are mostly about the BTWholesale network linking all the exchanges together.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@dfunked

Apologies for the lack of response previously, unfortunately as others have mentioned there's actually very little we can do remotely on a Fibre line.

The results from a line test are below:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0003
Description No problem found, OAM test is not currently supported on this line.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 62.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 19.9 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 76.4
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 09:15 to 09:30
Interference Location Customer Premise
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-74M Downstream, Interleaving High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Interleaving On
Time Stamp 2017-04-13T14:00:00

I'd advise getting this reported to us as a fault at https://faults.plus.net

For anyone else experiencing issues in this thread, please create your own topics as trying to help multiple customers across different products and services in one is not easy to do.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

@dfunked wrote:

Using an Asus DSL-AC68U which has been working perfectly for the best part of 2 years and always gives a perfect 74Mbps connection. Got home from work earlier and noticed that Steam was running a good bit slower than the usual 9MB/s, so did a bit of digging... The DSL stats page is now showing the below compared to the usual 74Mbps;

I looks like what you described as "working perfectly" has actually always been under-performing, you should have had the full 80Mb, not banded at 74Mb.

dfunked
Grafter

Cheers Chris, will have a look tonight.

@ejs
I was referring more to typical speed test results with 74, not the sync rate. I've never really had cause to go into that page before because it's just connected at a rate I'd expect given how close I am to the cab. (a stone's throw from my door)
Think it was closer to 80 as you say