cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropped from 74Mbps to 62

dfunked
Grafter

Speed dropped from 74Mbps to 62

Probably being a bit dim, but I've tried logging a ticket on the main site and couldn't spot any way to do it without calling/live chat (which is now closed...)

Using an Asus DSL-AC68U which has been working perfectly for the best part of 2 years and always gives a perfect 74Mbps connection. Got home from work earlier and noticed that Steam was running a good bit slower than the usual 9MB/s, so did a bit of digging... The DSL stats page is now showing the below compared to the usual 74Mbps;

Only change I can think of is that I tried updating the router's firmware about a week ago but had to revert back to the current one as the newer one wouldn't get an internet connection (supposedly a common problem, and the only other solution is to factory reset)

A few reboots were involved with this, but it was still working fine after that.

Downstream Upstream
TCM(Trellis Coded Modulation)
On
On
SNR
5.7 dB
12.2 dB
Line Attenuation
1.8 dB
1.1 dB
Path Mode
Interleaved
Interleaved
Interleave Depth
Data Rate
62681 kbps
19854 kbps
MAX Rate
99492 kbps
37672 kbps
POWER
12.0 dbm
-11.2 dbm
INP
2.3 symbols
2.3 symbols
CRC

65 REPLIES 65
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: Speed dropped from 74Mbps to 62

The same thing happened to me and other customers.... pretty poop but nothing i could do about it.

disposalist
Grafter

Same for me.  I also just noticed my download side is interleaved, which I don't think it used to be.  I'm a gamer, so need fastpath, I think, for low pings and whatnot.

brookheather
Rising Star

Strangely my ASUS DSL-AC68U also did a DSL resync today after running for weeks with no errors at 79500 it dropped down to about 72000 and I've also lost FastPath on the downstream - it's now interleaved for some reason - very strange?

Downstream Upstream
On
On
SNR
5.6 dB
15.3 dB
Line Attenuation
6.6 dB
10.5 dB
Path Mode
Interleaved
FastPath
Interleave Depth
Data Rate
71919 kbps
19999 kbps
MAX Rate
96264 kbps
30511 kbps
POWER
12.6 dbm
-2.5 dbm
INP
2.1 symbols
1.0 symbols
CRC
BT FTTP 500 + pfSense + Uniquiti Unifi 6 Pro
disposalist
Grafter

Oh dear.  I just did a few speed checks and I'm at between 25 and 35 MBps.  Something has gone very wrong.

I did do a firmware upgrade recently (as you may have).  I'm going to reset to default and enter everything manually... ugh.

dfunked
Grafter

Seems to be getting progressively worse. Just got disconnected for a moment  and it had reconnected at 53504 kbps when I checked the router... Sad

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Similar issues here - also using a DSL-AC86U with latest official firmware. Up to last Thursday (13th. April) I was on a very stable connection, with G.INP applied in both directions and very few CRC errors. There appears to have been a loss of the WAN connection at 0810 hrs. on Thursday (also 0931 hrs. on Friday), the outcome of which has been that DLM has put me on an interleaved connection. Although the downstream and upstream speeds have fallen by only 1Mbps., curiously the number of CRC errors is now much higher than previously. Hopefully DLM will intervene again eventually and get me back onto G.INP!

disposalist
Grafter

I reset my router to factory presets and re entered my details manually and the settings were returned to fast path on both up and down.
Haven't had a chance to test further but will let you know.
disposalist
Grafter

Testing further... 

I appear to have lost 60 of my 80 Mb/s!

What is going on?!

Also, 5361 CRC errors in 3 days.

dfunked
Grafter

Mine went back up to 62, but is still stuck on interleaved with higher pings than I'm used to... I'll leave it alone for a week to see if DLM sorts it out automatically, but will raise a ticket if not...

Would be nice if someone from PN could weigh in, or do they not frequent the forums as much these days?...
disposalist
Grafter

Back to a very variable ping this evening.

brzdidi

The same here. I have ADSL2+ and I used to have download speeds for 1 year around 17mbps using my ASUS DSL-AC68U firmware 3.0.0.4.380_7361. Since 2 weeks ago I noticed it dropped to around 8mbps. Looking the ADSL logs on the modem the Downstream Line attenuation has increased to 26dB from previous 18dB and consequently the MAX Downstream Rate decreased to 9.9mpbs from previous 18.9mbps

Interesting is I decided to connect the original ISP modem to see the speed,  and I was back getting around 17 mbps download speed.

Attached the logs:

DSL-AC68U

Line Stats

Downstream

Upstream

On

On

SNR

6.5 dB

7.0 dB

Line Attenuation

26.0 dB

12.0 dB

Path Mode

Interleaved

Interleaved

Interleave Depth

Data Rate

9248 kbps

832 kbps

MAX Rate

9984 kbps

1092 kbps

POWER

19.5 dbm

11.5 dbm

INP

1.8 symbols

1.9 symbols

CRC

Technicolor TG797n v3 (original from ISP):

DSL Type                               ADSL_2plus

DSL Mode                              Interleaved

Maximum Line rate                1.07 Mbps (UP) 18.84 Mbps (Down)

Line Rate                                1.02 Mbps (UP) 17.9 Mbps (Down)

Output Power                          18.5 dBm (UP) 12.1 dBm (Down)

Line Attenuation                     11.6 dB (UP) 18.5 dB (Down)

Noise Margin                          8.2 dB (UP) 6.1 dB (Down)

And when i connect my ASUS DSL-AC68U back, the line attenuation automatically increases and I get really bad download speed. Maybe the problem is related to the latest firmware update, or maybe the ISP is penalizing people that don't using their modems?

disposalist
Grafter

@brzdidi Interesting.  I know it's painful but you are in a great situation to raise errors with Plusnet and with Asus to try and get a resolution, given you have a repeatable direct comparison.

Who knows whether it's Asus having an issue or Plusnet not being compatible - these things are very complex - but it's not us who should be sat here suffering and/or doing all the heavy lifting for the investigation.

Anyone at Plusnet care to weigh in?

I can't remember if my issues are around the time of the updated firmware.  Actually, I think I looked for firmware updates *because* I was having issues.

Either way, I'm now still having intermittent service quality variation.  Speed loss, packet loss, ping variation, CRC errors, everything.  And did not have *any* such issues for the several months previous.

dfunked
Grafter

Yep, for me it was almost 2 years of rock solid performance. The drops just happen to coincide with me attempting to update the firmware, but it may be a red herring.
Due to the need to factory reset I just rolled back to the old version originally, so would've restarted the router a few times in the process which could be what caused DLM to start mucking about with my connection...
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Plusnet does not really have any direct control over anything at the DSL level for the Asus to be compatible with or not - it's either BTWholesale equipment in the exchanges for ADSL, or Openreach equipment in the cabinets for FTTC. If the Asus does not work properly with the broadband infrastructure in this country, then it's a problem for Asus to deal with, not Plusnet.