cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropped by 1/3rd for past week.

TomB1066
Dabbler

Speed dropped by 1/3rd for past week.

I have been a plusnet customer for 2 years now and have had no issues with speed or reliability until now. For the past week the speed at my router has dropped from a steady 64mbps to a consistent 39mbps. I do not use the plusnet hub, I use a netgear nighthawk (that isn't the problem!). 

It seems my line has been capped down or a max speed test needs to be reinitiated on my line. I would like this fixed please.

Best.

Tom.

15 REPLIES 15
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Speed dropped by 1/3rd for past week.

@TomB1066 What are the results of (1) BT Broadband  and (2) BTW Performance Tester - the 'Advanced Diagnostics' page?

Might not help, but does the Nighthawk have a readable main page that gives an overview of network status?

John
TomB1066
Dabbler

Hi jab1,

Thanks for quick response. This is what I see for (1) which is consistent with the speed I have been getting for past 2 years given my relative proximity to the street cabinet.

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps)
WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date
High Low High Low      
VDSL Range A (Clean) help 80 79 20 19 78 Available Available
VDSL Range B (Impacted) help 80 79 20 19 77.5 Available Available
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process
FTTP on Demand 330 50 -- Available --
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 10 to 19.5 Available
WBC ADSL2+ Annex M Up to 17 Up to 1.5 10 to 19.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings Availability Date
VDSL Multicast Available
ADSL Multicast Available
Exchange Product Restrictions Status
FTTP Priority Exchange N
WLR Withdrawal N
SOADSL Restriction Y

jab1
Legend

@TomB1066 Thanks for that. You have not posted an actual screenshot - which is usually a little more helpful. Was there a 'max observed speed' notification on the actual page?

John
TomB1066
Dabbler

Apologies. I did it adding my address. Now using tel number.

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps)
WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in Jumper
High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) help 80 79 20 19 78 Available Available --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) help 80 79 20 19 77.5 Available Available --
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process
FTTP on Demand 330 50 -- Available --
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date Left in Jumper
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 14.5 -- 12.5 to 16 Available Yes
WBC ADSL2+ Annex M Up to 14.5 Up to 1.5 12.5 to 16 Available Yes
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available Yes
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available --
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in Jumper
WBC SOADSL 2+ Up to 14.5 -- 12.5 to 16 -- Yes
SOADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 12.5 to 16 -- --
SOADSL Fixed Rate Up to 2 -- 6.5 to 8 -- Yes
Observed Speeds VDSL
Max Observed Downstream Speed 48.99
Max Observed Upstream Speed 17
Observed Date 2021-11-10
Other Offerings Availability Date
VDSL Multicast Available
ADSL Multicast Available
Premise Environment Status
Bridge Tap U
VRI N
NTE FacePlate N
Last Test Date 08-11-2021
Exchange Product Restrictions Status
FTTP Priority Exchange N
WLR Withdrawal N
SOADSL Restriction Y

It does seem my max observed speed has dropped for some reason.

jab1
Legend

That speed seems a little low, for what appears to be a a close range from the VDSL cab. Can you perform the BTW Performance Tester. Might be an idea to check your voice line - dial 17070, option 2 from a preferably corded phone. After the confirmation of your phone number all you should hear is the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement - any other noise at all, report a phone fault first.

John
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @TomB1066,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with the speeds. I've had a look into your account today and whilst I haven't been able to locate any specific fault on the line, I can see that the speed profile is currently capped at around 49Mbps. I'm going to raise a request to lift the speed profile back to it's usual settings, though this may take a few days to complete. In the meantime, had you noticed any issues prior to the lower speeds or has this seemingly come out of nowhere on your end of things? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend

I was wondering about the cause of the drop as well @TheMightyAJ , but as the OP only provided one of the three pices of the jigsaw I asked, I was unable to assist further. Nothing showing on a Radius plot?

John
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Potentially. There had been some drops over the last 30 days, though these seem to have stabilized more recently. Of course it's possible that this is the reason the line was banded, so it's something I'm going to keep an eye on once the change goes through. If the drops return then I think an engineer would be the next best course of action, but we'll see how things go for now and hope for the best Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
TomB1066
Dabbler

Dear jab1 and TheMightyAJ,

Thank you both very much for your prompt replies and help on this; I very much appreciate it. The line banding does make sense as I have had building work going on for a few months and that involved the power being off and on quite a bit over the past 6 weeks. From what I now understand from your posts that could have resulted in the false assumption that my line was unstable at the previous speeds of 65mbps and so it was restricted to 40mbps to achieve a stable connection?

To answer your question TheMightyAJ, the speed drop came out of nowhere. No complaints and rock solid for past 2 years until now.

If you could reset my speed to the original unbanded state that would be fantastic. I will keep you posted.

Best,

Tom.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No worries @TomB1066 and thanks for confirming that. I've already put through the request to change the banding on your line and that should complete by the end of the week, though I should state that there isn't any official timescale for this particular procedure, so it may take a little bit longer if more requests than usual have been raised this week. What I'll do is, I'll check back on the account from Monday the 29th of November and run some tests to see if the change has taken affect. I'll contact you via a support ticket to let you know my findings and we'll take whatever actions are necessary from there. If you have any queries or issues in the meantime, just leave a message on here and I'll pick this back up for review as soon as I can Smiley

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
TomB1066
Dabbler

Awesome! Can't say fairer than that! Great customer service; thank you Smiley

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No worries at all Smiley 

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hey @TomB1066,

Just an update on this one - I've run a line test this afternoon and I'm pleased to report that the banding has been removed, with a current downstream sync speed of 79.9Mbps having been recorded. Is this the case from your end of things, or is the speed still looking a bit slow?

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
TomB1066
Dabbler

Hi @TheMightyAJ,

Yep all good my end now. Thank you again for fixing this for me. Connection speed now best it has been and stable! Smiley

Best,

Tom.