Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed drop

tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Speed drop

Been monitoring this for a little while now and I have noticed that I have lost about 13mbps off my connection.
I have had the fibre now for over two years and it was consistently delivering 74mbps download but in the last few months this has dropped to 61mbps.  I dont think anything in my home infrastructure has changed, router, network, pc all the same. 
Testing has been done from a PC cabled to the router with the tests consistently undertaken with SpeedTest.
Any recommendations for anything I can test at this end, or is there anything obvious on the plusnet end as to why the drop?
Other than the speed increase the connection is fine, good ping, consistent bandwidth etc etc just slower than it was previously...
7 REPLIES 7
englishrick
Grafter

Re: Speed drop

Your not the only one mate....I'm the same as you. They say it's crosstalk and they also say it's because your line was over performing before lmfao......bull if you ask me...take 10-13Mb/s off 5 or 6 people and we can sling another customer onto fibre....GREED is the cause..
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

There's nothing obvious on our end. In fact tests are indicating that you are still syncing at 79.9mbps/19.9mbps.
Have you been using BT Wholesale's speedtest?
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
tokey
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: MattyC
Have you been using BT Wholesale's speedtest?

Ill try that now MattyC.
same thing:

Its consistent, its just lower...
-edit-
Just as a follow up I thought I would test my internal network speed to see if there is an issue there however this is operating as expected (over gigabit ethernet)

Measured using Lan Speed Test lite:  http://www.totusoft.com/lanspeed1.html
Any suggestions?
antmorgan

Funny - I'm another one who has lost just over 10mbs - no internal network changes either - It appears plusnet may have been shaving off our connections since March / April this year if you look at my monitoring stats.
This chart represents my daily average downstream between June 2013 and June 2015.  (Not attached my upstream as that has remained constant pretty much throughout)
tokey
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: antmorgan
since March / April this year if you look at my monitoring stats.

I reckon that would be about the same for me actually...
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Thanks for the updates.
The next steps would be trying a PPPoE connection (to rule out the router), and if the speeds are still suffering it may be worth raising a fault.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
tokey
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: MattyC
The next steps would be trying a PPPoE connection (to rule out the router

Thanks Matty, ill give that a shot and report back