cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed drop tried everything help really appreciated

Chris35
Hooked

Speed drop tried everything help really appreciated

Hi only been with plusnet 3 weeks and had trouble from day one. My speed is great when it wants to be 70+mbps download but can go as low as 0.9mbps anytime throughout the day for a good amount of time. I've done all maintenance, I've logged into router changed channel numerous times, had new router change, checked phone socket, I've even had plusnet arrange for engineer to come and check my line he says its holding great speed. But here is were the problem rises when the speed is good its very good but anytime its bad nobody can check it as soon as I try to report it live chat never available and when I phone up I'm in a queue for an hour, by that time it seems to go back to normal I really don't know what to do next it's so annoying. I was with my previous supplier for 4 years and never had a problem. I just want the problem fixing as like I say when its good the speed I'm getting is fabulous nearly 20mbps better than my previous supplier . I've read on other posts people have had the same problem identical infact and they got it resolved by having the VLAN changed but how will I go about getting that done. Any help on this matter will be really appreciated many thanks
7 REPLIES 7
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Speed drop tried everything help really appreciated

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Our testing hasn't identified any issues with your service. If you're still having issues please follow the steps below we can investigate further please connect your computer/laptop to the router with an ethernet cable and run the BT Speedtester service at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

You must ensure that you have no other programs running at the same time such as streaming, general browsing and the most common one is antivirus programs downloading updates in the background. This must be done on a wired connection and not wireless Once the initial result is completed please click Further Diagnostics. Please type in your phone number and click run diagnostic test. This will run a test and send the results to the server for investigation

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Chris35
Hooked

I only have two netbooks which unfortunately don't have ethernet connection. I've already explained this in the past and was told to keep a log via speedtest, which I find myself doing alot my results last night from 6 o'clock until around 7.30 was highest 16mbps and lowest 1.04mbps when I do tests I makesure all my current devices are off. I've woke up this morning and I'm getting on 5ghz 71.1mbps and on 2.4ghz 41.2mbps which is fantastic highest I've seen but it will like always have a few sessions throughout today drop to 1mbps surely this can't be normal.
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Chris35,

When it comes to Wi-Fi connections, I'm afraid we're unable to guarantee a minimum or consistent speed as there are simply too many different variables to take into consideration that we simply have no control over. This could range from the amount of other wireless devices in proximity of your own router which can cause signal interference or it could be down to the property itself, perhaps having older and thicker walls.

Because you're connecting solely via a Wi-Fi connections, I would recommend to try and change the wireless channel that your router is operating on to see if this helps to improve the wireless signal strength. We have a helpful video guide for step-by-step support in changing your wireless channel here.
1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254
If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.
2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'
3) Select the option for 'Wireless.'
4) If this is the first time trying this, you can select the option to 'Refresh' at the bottom of the page which will force your router to rescan for the best channel for you.
5) If you are still having issues then you may wish to change the channels manually. To do this, repeat the above steps but select 'Advanced Settings' instead of 'Settings' and this will give you several other options.
6) Under 'Channel Selection' you will want to change this from Automatic to any one of the other channels and see if it improves your wireless. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and change it again if you see no improvement. If you are having the same issue on 5 GHz wireless then you can also change the wireless channel under the subheading of '5 GHz Wireless'.
Any Wireless channel is prone to interference and can be caused by a number of factors, changing this channel will usually resolve the issue, if problems are still persisting after this then it is likely that something else is causing the issue. Further help can be found here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Chris35
Hooked

Thanks I've already done all that with the channel etc on router last week and separated the 2.4 and 5ghz. I had zero problems regarding WiFi with my previous supplier so I doubt it's the walls etc and sorry I didn't mention it before I did a speedtest using my neighbours computer via ethernet the night I was on the phone reporting the problem and for over 20 minutes it was struggling to get anything over 2mbps download and the speed was the same via WiFi. when it drops its useless as I keep saying speeds as low as 0.9mbps even via ethernet connection there is definitely a problem coming from the supply I'm receiving I've literally done everything possible. Kind regards Chris
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Thanks for getting back to us with this information @Chris35. Given that this issue also occurred via an Ethernet connection, this may indeed be indicative of a fault intermittently cropping up on your line.

As we're not seeing any issues when testing your line at the moment and as the fault doesn't appear to be present from your end of things, there's not much further we can do to investigate further at this stage, but if you do experience any further problems, please let us know and we'll pick this back up for investigation as soon as possible.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Chris35
Hooked

Thanks Alex fingers crossed...
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

@Chris35

If the problem does persist, can you borrow a laptop from somewhere (neighbour)? If so, install dslStats on it and run it continuously. You might catch what's happening on that. I wouldn't mind betting that somewhere along the phone line, or maybe local to you, there is an intermittent source of electrical interference. If so, you should see bursts of errored seconds or worse on the output graphs. I had a problem which was caused by a neighbour's brand new high-frequency fluorescent fitting in a utility room. It wasn't switched on very often but when it was it did the trick!

http://dslstats.me.uk/

Having said all that, I've just realised that dslStats might not be compatible with the PN modem. I'm not sure about that. Undecided Maybe someone could advise?