Hi - after a less than smooth FTTC and phone install last august 2016 _ I eventually managed to get a reasonably stable b/b OK it was circa 69/70 mbps d/l rather than the estimated 78-80 (original estimate from plusnet and BT engineers ) of which i had about 6-8 visits and at one point the line was cut by contractors opening up the pavement to resolve an identified underground fault ( about 6 weeks after the issue was originally reported by initial Install engineer) and finally repaired I was able to connect at circa 70/18+ mbps - somewhat less than initial estimates but guessing age of property ( early 70's ) there is a high chance the wiring to property is Aluminium rather than copper so not expecting much more.
After a long winded preamble I'll get to the point - Yesterday and today I was getting Speedtest estimates of circa 49/18 ( though late yesterday speed was back to 69 d/l briefly )
Just ran BTW test and speed reported as 49.65 d/l and 16.89 u/l with IP profile as 49.65
Last BTW profile that i kept shows a d/l speed of 70.36 mb and ip profile of 71.54 mbps
copies of relevant BTW tests attached for reference / review
So according to today's test results I appear to have lost 21.59 mbps d/l speed
I just ran a quiet test on my phone line which appears to be okay - ie nice and quiet
Do I report this loss of speed as a line ( phone) issue / fault or as a FTTC fault -
please investigate / test your side and advise
Fixed! Go to the fix.