cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed drop from 36mbps to 17mbps

nevgeorge
Dabbler

Speed drop from 36mbps to 17mbps

I have been monitoring the speeds up and down for a while now, it seems there's a significant drop to what I was getting before. I had an issue with my laptop network card but that is now fixed and stable. 

This is what I am supposed to get:

Product: Unlimited Fibre

Estimated Download Range: 38 - 40Mbps

Estimated Upload Range: 8 - 10Mbps

Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 30.9Mbps

My speed from the online tests:
Down 17.89  Up 3.97 and this is consistent

My speed according to my Plusnet Router:

Downstream: 19.14 Mbps
Upstream: 4.296 Mbps

At first I thought is was just a drop because of the lockdown but this has been consistently low and annoying causing my smart tv to cut out all the time when the wife picks up her tablet or phone. Previously I was getting 36Mbps and 10Mbps

Could someone please check my line or send a message to the Chester exchange to sort it out!
Regards Nev

P.S Can't use you chatline as my browser won't allow it and I won't use MS or Chrome browsers.

12 REPLIES 12
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Speed drop from 36mbps to 17mbps

Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
firstalpha
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@nevgeorge 'I have been monitoring the speeds up and down for a while now, it seems there's a significant drop to what I was getting before.'

I am experiencing something similar at my location... I upgraded my account to Unlimited Fibre Extra in April and my download speed initially rose to 69mbps for two whole days... but then dropped to less than 20mbps where it has remained ever since...

Following my plusnet support conversation last Sunday, I received an OpenReach engineer's call on Monday warning me that he was working on my line... I discovered the engineer testing the lines near to the railway line in my village and he report that an error had been detected in the duct under the railway...

Alas... there is NO improvement to my service which is reported on the Plusnet website as being:

Product: Unlimited Fibre Extra
Estimated Download Range: 40 - 59Mbps
Estimated Upload Range: 8 - 14Mbps
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 35.6Mbps
Current Line Speed (Download): 21Mbps

I've added to my support ticket that my service is NOT improved and I'm hoping that more will be done to improve my service...

What makes it hard to accept is that I am being frequently contacted to switch ISP by competitor providers who are ready to promise higher speeds because they claim to have better service management...

firstalpha
Rising Star

Quote:

Alas... there is NO improvement to my service which is reported on the Plusnet website as being:

Current Line Speed (Download): 21Mbps

End quote...

OK... so an OpenReach engineer called today at 12:30... he discovered that my line is in perfect working order and that the 67Mbps reported by my Plusnet router is accurate... so why am I only getting sub 20Mbps on WiFi or on my PC with ethernet connection????

He suggested the problem is with the Plusnet router!!!!!!

Even Plusnet reports (see above) that my download speed is only 21Mbps!!! 

What now???

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@firstalpha  do you have a static IP by any chance ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@firstalpha Your low speed could be caused by the Plusnet "Current line speed" value but just to confuse matters it is not a measure of your actual speed but a maximum speed profile which can in some cases cap your speed to that level. Usually this profile is only active for users who have added a static WAN IP address but I believe that it can sometimes affect dynamic IP customers. It is something that support should have looked at but they are not doing much for speed faults these days.☹️

firstalpha
Rising Star

@MisterW do you have a static IP by any chance ?

Yes I do... have done for years...

Why would this cause a problem?

As I said... the Plusnet Hub One router, with which I was provided on 10 Nov 2016, reports:

Downstream: 67.63 Mbps
Upstream: 10.67 Mbps

This is what the OR engineer recorded with his wireless gadget as soon as he walked through the door...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@firstalpha Why would this cause a problem?

As @RealAleMadrid  said, your Current Line speed is wrong. This doesn't normally affect anything EXCEPT if you're on a static IP. Static IP's are routed over the legacy L2TP network and so the Current Line speed set at 21Mb will be restricting your speeds. I suspect what has happened is that it's been set (in error) to the max for an ADSL connection at some time when the upgrade happened.

Problem is that most of the first line CSC support personnel aren't aware that Current line speed WILL have an effect if on a static IP and so they don't consider it, their understanding is that it is no longer used.

Hopefully one of the Help team (who do know about it!) will spot this thread and correct your Current line speed. 

I've tried to attract someone's attention to get this sorted...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@firstalpha  The current line speed is capping your connection your modem sync speeds are good,  it's really annoying that openreach have come out, when plusnet could fix this in a minute. The profile should track the BT wholesale IP profile but gets stuck typically at 21Mbps which I believe was the maximum ADSL2+ profile speed. The  reason is that static IP users are routed in a different way on Plusnet's network through legacy equipment that still uses the current line speed profile to cap the throughput speed. Most customers are on the "new" network which is not affected. If you manage to contact customer services ask to speak to who has some idea of the ramifications of having a static IP, they are messing you about.

firstalpha
Rising Star

@MisterW Hopefully one of the Help team (who do know about it!) will spot this thread and correct your Current line speed.  

OK... so the download speed is now much better... 57-60Mbps...

... and the status of my service has been upgraded, as follows:

Your broadband service

Current Line Speed (Download): 67Mbps

Thank you to whoever progressed my download speed concerns...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@firstalpha that's great news, I'm not sure I can take any credit, looks like someone had already spotted it.

I know the SU's and the PN Help team have been trying to get some more awareness of this to the front line CSC agents, maybe it's got through🙂

Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

@firstalpha 

Sorry to hear about issues you have had. I can see that @Gandalf was faster than me in updating your IP profile.

If there is anything else we can help you with - please let us know. I can see that fault ticket is still open so please expect contact from one of our fault agents soon.

nevgeorge
Dabbler

UPDATE!

It seems my line is banded , funny that the line was perfect before and I got really good speeds now after three weeks of investigation since my first post and having raised the fault I'm no further forward. What really naffs me off is when I'm watching a film on Netflix and suddenly it cuts out. Don't really think I'm getting value for money and am now thinking going 4G. Below is my line status now

DSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 07:18:08
Downstream: 19.97 Mbps
Upstream: 9.995 Mbps