Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed downgrade after installing my own router

precha
Dabbler

Speed downgrade after installing my own router

Hi,

I started this thread a while ago but the thread is a little old now so i started a new one: 

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Speed-downgrade-after-installing-my-own-router/td-p/13...

I was to wait and see if my line profile will increase over time:

6. Data rate: 20000 / 67000
7. Maximum data rate: 27396 / 86825
8. Noise margin: 9.7 / 11.7
9. Line attenuation: 14.9 / 15.3
10. Signal attenuation:

14.8 / 15.3

My line looks like this now. When my line profile changed randomly the upload data rate changed from 20000 to 15000. Now its gone back to 20000.

Can my line download  speed now be changed back to 80000 or close to it like it was before my line messed up ?

4 REPLIES 4
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Speed downgrade after installing my own router

The problem is that it requires an Openreach engineer visit to reset the FTTC DLM (not because they have to physically be there to do it, it's just the Openreach policy). And they are not supposed to reset the DLM unless a fault has been fixed. So you're not likely to get Plusnet to get an Openreach engineer out just to reset the DLM.

However, speed faults tend to be accepted if you're below your lowest estimated speed, so it may depend on what your estimated speeds are.

precha
Dabbler

Thanks for replying,

My line estimate was between  60-80meg. Before the line messed up i was syncing at around 79.

Then i was told to wait to see if it went back up over time. The only thing that went up was the upload speed which went from 15000 to 20000.

If you look at my noise margin theres plenty there for my line to reach close to 80.

But im out of contract now so i might just switch suppliers if i cant do anything.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Switching ISPs might actually be a solution because it usually causes some sort of DLM reset (I'm not sure how thorough the reset is, supposedly there are different types of reset, which may or may not get rid of banding).

precha
Dabbler

think it might be the best solution at this point