Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed downgrade after installing my own router

precha
Dabbler

Speed downgrade after installing my own router

Hi,

I just installed my own router i just got and have had a drop in speed since installing.

I have gone from close to 80mg down to 62 and my upload speed has dropped from the full 20mb to 17mb.

Looking at the forums i have read sometimes this can happen when you swap routers.

Any chance you could reset my profile to see if things improve. Otherwise if the router is worse than the plusnet one i will return it .

I only have 10 days to return it so it would be great if you could do this for me asap

Thanks 

31 REPLIES 31
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Speed downgrade after installing my own router

There is nothing that PN can do to reset your line, its more likely a setting on your new router. You can prove this by plugging the PN one back in.

If you have done a lot of disconnections, the DLM may have kicked in and lowered your speed, but it it will return if the line is stable.

precha
Dabbler

I tried plugging the plusnet one back in and my speed is the same as my new router now. 

I have asked them to do this before using the live chat a while back when my profile changed from 80 to 60 and they reset it then.

I dont want to wait too long because i might return the router if thats whats causing the problem

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@precha

Plusnet can reset their line speed which you can find at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

They cannot reset the BTW IP Profile which is found at speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do

The BT IP Profile is managed automatically by the cabinet which you connect to and adjusts itself if it sees any issues as it tries to maintain a stable line.

The action of unplugging the different routers if you didn't use the router disconnect button, could have caused the cabinet to slow the line down to attempt to get a stable connection. If the router is left in place then it should, over a period of time, increase the IP Profile back up. 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
precha
Dabbler

Thanks for replying,

I can see me line speed has changed and is now set at 64mb.

My BT ip profile is set at 60mb from the test results

So should i go into live chat and ask them to change it again or will a plusnet employee be be able to do it from looking at my posts ?

Thanks

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

We can't change the BT profile remotely I'm afraid as that'll be set by the speed you're connected to the cabinet at.

It may go back up over time but we can't make any guarantee I'm afraid.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
precha
Dabbler

Can you reset the line speed  to see if that does anything ?

How long does it usually take for the profile to increase ?

Thanks

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@precha

The Plusnet Line speed is normally set to be slightly less than the BTW IP Profile as it acts limit so that when the line is used to its fullest, the network doesn't drop packets which happens when you hit the BTW IP profile speed. So Plusnet wouldn't increase higher than that as it has no effect if it is higher than the BTW IP Profile.

As for how long it will take for the IP Profile to increase its speed on a stable line, well it could be a few days or few weeks. It is totally automatic and depends upon the line being stable and the monitoring equipment in the cabinet deciding it is safe to increase the speed.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
precha
Dabbler

Thanks for replying,

I guess i will just wait and see. Thank you for all your information.

precha
Dabbler

Bumping this thread after a few weeks of waiting for my profile to increase.

Acording to my bt profile i am still stuck at 60mb. My router has been stable and not had any disconnections.

My current line stats are pretty healthy and shows i should be getting a higher download rate.

Thanks

Line Status:Connected

DSL Modulation Type:VDSL2

Annex Type:Annex A/L

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 14993 59995
Max Rate (Kbps) 19953 82838
SNR Margin (dB) 9.5 11.9
Line Attenuation (dB) 19 9.5
Errors (Pkts) 0 0
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

The action of unplugging the different routers if you didn't use the router disconnect button, could have caused the cabinet to slow the line down to attempt to get a stable connection.

A single disconnect/reconnect shouldn't do. I can only see that happening if the OP was already borderline that was the final straw that broke the camel's back.

I'm wondering if the OP has interleaving applied now? Back before G.INP my connection would alternate between interleaved and not and when interleaved it also gave a very high attainable figure. It's been a while now since I even had an unlocked modem but from memory I think mine was:

Interleaved: 63/20 (attainable 82/30)

Not interleaved: 69/20 (attainable 69/25)

Of course this doesn't answer the question of why the change. You could try putting the PN router back and waiting. In my case the cycle time between the two connection types was 14 days.

precha
Dabbler

Im not sure. The bt ip profile says its set to "58mbps" Even my upload speed is at 15mbps

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

unless I have missed it - I don't know which router you have installed

precha
Dabbler

Its a tp-link router . TD-W9970

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63