Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed down from a stable 80/20 to an IP Profile change of 49/11

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Speed down from a stable 80/20 to an IP Profile change of 49/11

No isp has control over DLM on fibre it's a issue many people have asked to be changed but openreach have yet to allow it for what ever reason which is strange seeing as they allow it for ADSL, Fibre is more prone to issues maybe thats the reason.
AndyH
Grafter

Openreach don't provide or sell ADSL.
It is not common for someone to need a DLM reset with FTTC. If your line has been banded and you're synced at the top end of the band, then a reset will be appropiate. If your line is not synced at the top of your band, then DLM is not restricting your sync speed.
jsamuel
Grafter

Typo? Smiley
It is not uncommon.
AndyH
Grafter

It's not commonly needed.
People forget that xDSL is rate adapative.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: jsamuel
Thank you for that information, chrcoluk Smiley
I wonder why OR can do it remotely now, but PN still can't? PN is a BT company, after all.

They have always been able to do it remotely, DLM isnt in the DSLAM, its controlled in a server.
When an engineer does a reset, he rings the openreach support desk and asks them to carry out the reset.
ISP's can do it remotely by changing the profile because on a profile change a DLM reset is automatic, you will have to ask why plusnet dont want to do profile changes, but I guess it is due to cost.
jsamuel
Grafter

I'm not sure that's quite correct.
DLM is run at the DSLAM/MSAN level, and has done since ADSL*
see this document
It wouldn't make sense to run it on a server down the network, since it only controls the line between the cabinet and the EU.
chrcoluk
Grafter

DLM is not run in the dslam.  The dslam is just a cabinet side modem.  A DLM server will send instructions to the dslam.
jsamuel
Grafter

DSM daemon -> BRAS side
DSM client -> DSLAM/MSAN
The DSLAM is a bit more than a 'modem'  Roll_eyes
You're correct about the daemon sending instructions to the client, but the client is the one that sends instructions to the daemon to tell it when the line is unstable. Resetting the spectrum profile at the DSLAM will tell the daemon to adjust DLM.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I understood the point to be that DLM (the 'brains' of DLM, if you can call it that) is implemented not at the cabinet.
Yes, the cabinet sends the line stat information to a server. And yes, the server sends back the adjustments required to the cabinet. However, the algorithm that decides the changes to be made is remote from the cabinet.
I would say that is as close a definition as is reasonable to say that DLM is implemented remotely.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Whatever you think the DSLAM is, DLM is not located in the Fibre Cabinet. See this diagram. Also the ccSNR Reset document is at least at issue 3, and I can see nothing in it that gives any indication to the location of DLM.  In any event, the document does not apply to FTTx only 20/21CN ADSL(2+)   Roll_eyes
jsamuel
Grafter

That diagram just confirms what I said  :-\,
Element Manager = what I called the "DSM client"
RAMBo =  "DSM daemon"
Anotherone
Champion

The unfortunate confusion between you was the physical location of DLM due to the way some comments were phrased. I'm not saying anything more or less than that.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Also to add engineers cannot access the FTTC cabinet, all control for that is done remotely.
Only time those cabinets would be accessed is for hardware maintenance or hardware swapouts.
Anotherone
Champion

Rather than waste time on this diversion about who, what, why, where and resets of DLM, access to cabinets, surely it would be more sensible to try and discover if there are any other reasons for what appears to be a banded profile.
@jsamuel
Other than you ignoring the 30 minute rule. Were you rebooting a few times as well? The comments about transmit power may again be related to the banded profile with the accompanying high SNRM but you are fairly close to the Cab, it all rather depends on the algorithms used by the Modem to calculate these things.
As this is obviously not a standard OR issue modem, is it running the latest firmware capable of being compatible with G.INP? Otherwise that may have an impact on achievable sync speeds.
jsamuel
Grafter

OR engineers have software on their laptops to access them, similar to this for Alcatel DSLAMs