cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed down from a stable 80/20 to an IP Profile change of 49/11

jsamuel
Grafter

Speed down from a stable 80/20 to an IP Profile change of 49/11

Hi there. I'm wondering if support can help me.
Lately I've been testing an ECI /r OR modem on my line, but I completely ignored the 30 minute rule and that DLM was more sensitive on VDSL. DLM has seen this as a bad line and it has set my IP Profile to 49/11 from 76/19.  I did open a support ticket for this but the agent kept insisting I needed an OR engineer to visit my premises, but I knew I didn't and so I closed it as I didn't want to get charged. I initially asked for my profile to be reset at the cab like others have done on this forum and they have managed to get it done successfully. Would it be possible for someone to look into this for me?  Embarrassed
I also have an other issue I may as well point out now that I'm here anyway.
When I initially signed up for FTTC, the service went live on the 30th of May. Even though I was on the 40/20 plan I still got a solid 80/20 for a few weeks until the IP Profile changed to match what I was paying, I upped my plan to 80/20 after that. My BT IP Profile changed when that went live, to 76/19.
I'm wondering, why are these few extra megs lost?
I've noticed since my plan changed to Fibre Extra, INP has been set on my upstream to 4. Interleaving on upstream to quite a high depth of 381.
At the moment even with this DLM-induced IP profile change it is still like this, DLM hasn't interleaved my upstream further and my downstream is still on fastpath, which seems strange to me. My transmit power for downstream also seems strange to me.
Line Mode: G.993.2 (VDSL2) — Annex B — Profile 17a
Status & Uptime: UP — 1d 22h 54m 21s — Resyncs: 1
Line State: showtime_tc_sync [0x801]
Power Mode: L0 - Synchronized
DSLAM/MSAN VID: IFTN
Alignment: Downstream — Upstream
Attainable Line Speed: 99.705 Mb/s — 22.167 Mb/s
Actual Line Speed: 48.994 Mb/s — 11.993 Mb/s
Trellis: 😧 ON — U: ON
Bitswap: 😧 ON — U: ON
G.INP: 😧 Not Enabled — U: Not Enabled
Virtual Noise Support: 😧 Not Supported — U: Not Supported
Interleave Depth: 1 — 381
Interleave Block: 255 — 32
Interleave Delay: 0ms — 4ms
NFEC: 255 — 32
RFEC: 16 — 16
LSYMB: 13147 — 6096
LPATH: 0 — 0
INP: 0.0 — 4.0
Line Attenuation: 9.2 dB — 10.3 dB
Noise Margin/SNR: 20.5 dB — 12.8 dB
Transmit Power: -3.0 dB — 12.5 dB
Total Errors
ES: 0 — 423
SES: 0 — 184
UAS: 0 — 34
FEC: 5 — 236799
CRC_P: 0 — 0
CRCP_P: 0 — 0
15 Minute Timers
Code Violations: 0 — 0
FEC: 0 — 0
1 Day Timers
Code Violations: 0 — 0
FEC: 2 — 80

My SNR is a bit high, so it tells me that I could get the full 80/20. my conclusion is that DLM is stuck or both DLM/BRAS.
Thanks.
58 REPLIES 58
Blake
Grafter

Re: Speed down from a stable 80/20 to an IP Profile change of 49/11

What makes you so sure you don't need an engineer?
If the IP Profile isn't budging and it is too low compared to the sync of your circuit then you do need an engineer.
With FTTC,  there is no easy reset option like there is with ADSL,  ISP's can not do it for you over a trouble ticket or phone call.
If I were you,  I'd open a new troubleshooter and await the request to send an engineer.
Once you have had the engineer,  you will soon be back on track Smiley
jsamuel
Grafter

It is quite clear I need an engineer [to visit my cab] but PN insisted I needed one to visit my premises when I opened a fault ticket because they wanted to test my internal wiring which is just a waste of BTOR's time. Not to mention I'd probably be charged for the callout versus a BRAS reset at the DSLAM.
dick:quote
Blake
Grafter

You are warned of charges if it is your damage to wiring/equipment or equipment itself (excluding OR equipment)
There is no fault or damage so you have nothing to worry about in the charges front.
If your line test provides no fault found outcome then there is no external fault to send OR to hense they must book an appointment, the engineer will come to the house and do his checklist then reset the profile.
jsamuel
Grafter

I was warned I'd be charged if there was no fault. Which there isn't. I also don't see why I should take 6 hours off for a timeslot for them to come to my premises and leave a minute later. It's a waste of both his and my time when all it should take is a drive by. 😕
dick:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It looks like a banded profile and will need a line reset which can only be carried out by an engineer after a fault is raised via https://faults.plus.net
Blake
Grafter

Not sure why you would have been advised that as the charge isn't applicable there.
Openreach only do those slots, they can't offer different ones as they have to be consistent and fair to all ISP's/customers.
It's in their terms and conditions, you will have to suck that one up but to make it easier you can have anyone over the age of 18 attend for you if you can arrange that.
jsamuel
Grafter

I think I'll just wait on a staff perspective and see what they say, but thank you.
Quote from: BoBBYI986
Signed up to the 80/20 FTTC Unlimited Package, [...]
I am having constant disconnections, resulting in DLM adjusting my line speeds and also increasing my interleaving to HIGH! pings are awful should be getting around 13 - 15ms achieve nowhere near that.
I have checked all internal wiring, there is no problems, BT quiet line test also no problems there.
My line speed should be 57Mbit but getting 39Mbit on the DSLAM sync rate due to DLM adjusting my SNR margin, Interleaving, basically just messing everything up. I just want a set BRAS profile of 80/20 and a set SNR margin of 6Db up & down and NO DLM!!
I raised  a ticket a week ago now but still nothing has been resolved, I have asked for my BRAS profile to be reset to 80/20. [..]
Is it not possible for PlusNet to just send out an engineer to the Cabinet to reset the profile?
If so that can be done at anytime, as it requires no visit to my premises.
I will also be charged if there was no fault found at my premises Internally including router. Which I have resolved.
So if a Cabinet visit could just be scheduled to reset my profile that will be great.  I presume I will get updated on the current open ticket it's been done. If not i will just check my VDSL status on the routers web interface.
Thankyou.

Quote from: Matt
Right, that's been booked in tomorrow morning for you - I've asked that notes are passed to the engineer to just reset the line and not to visit your premises.
Hope that gets everything sorted for you.
Blake
Grafter

Good luck, sure it will be sorted soon.
Just ensure you have logged it at the address given by oldjim Wink
jsamuel
Grafter

Ok. Just opened up a new ticket Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I was given to understand recently that it doesn't require an engineer to attend the cabinet for a profile reset. This can be done remotely by OR.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: jsamuel
...........but I completely ignored the 30 minute rule and that DLM was more sensitive on VDSL.

Oh dear, tut tut. At least 30 minutes, preferably go for an hour.
jsamuel
Grafter

Perhaps they're able to do it like that now.  Shocked I'll probably need to wait a week or so for a reply.
It's a shame really, as support was always good here at PN and the removal of the normal ticket feature saddens me. I moved here from TT due to their lack of technical training and their scripted speak.
I'm worried I hear of BT cuts ringing in my ears and support being moved to India  Sad There's simply not many ISPs left who focus on support.
chrcoluk
Grafter

OR can do remote reset's (they did it on my line), however its not official.
Officially one has to raise a fault with the isp, a engineer then attends the premises and only then can a reset be done initiated by the engineer, and also on top of that officially the engineer can only ask for the reset if he has fixed something.  Although some engineers will do a reset without that.  A few engineers will even do a reset before knocking on your door, thats the best way as DLM can hide faults,
In regards to charges officially OR can charge if no fault is found on their side of the network.   Regardless of end user equipment, however I think in practice it doesnt get raised unless is a clear issue the end user side, I think the charges are mainly there as a deterrent to stop people repeatedly raising faults for what they see as minor issues.
jsamuel
Grafter

Thank you for that information, chrcoluk Smiley
I wonder why OR can do it remotely now, but PN still can't? PN is a BT company, after all.