cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed doesn't reach the guaranteed

diomingyuli
Hooked

Speed doesn't reach the guaranteed

The guaranteed speed of my broadband shoud be 36.4Mbs however the test shows that the speed (cable) is only 32.7, wifi download speed 23.9.
9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Speed doesn't reach the guaranteed

The guaranteed speed is 'Access line speed' (MGALS) and is the speed at which your line synchronises with the exchange. It is not throughput as measured on speed testers. You can see the synch speed by going to the Advanced settings->Troubleshooting->Helpdesk tab on your router ( assuming its a Hub one ).

Its the value shown against data rate 

If that is less than your mgals then you need to raise a speed fault and Plusnet will investigate

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@diomingyuli 

From your other post I assume that your service was only activated yesterday and presumably your Hub arrived in the last 3 hours. If your synch rate is low you will need to leave it at least 10 days for the DLM to sort itself out before Plusnet will accept that there is a fault.

@MisterW 

Whether the MGALS refers to the synch speed or data rate has always bothered me. Presumbly if like me you are on Retransmission High then the maximum data rate can legitimately be only about 92% of the MGALS and still meet the requirements? This does not feel right to me and I can imagine that some might feel cheated.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Baldrick1  I agree, it bothers me, but throughput can be dependent on so many other factors that it would be impossible to guarantee. Not quite as bad as wifi though!

As you say, customers will interpret the mgals as actual throughput and in reality they will ,see at best 96.7 % of that

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

diomingyuli
Hooked

How am I supposed to see the speed on my router? I assume it is a hub as I bought Unlimited Fibre Extra package n I was told by the agents that it'll be a hub...but it's not like there is a screen on the router on which I can see the speed
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@diomingyuli  as I posted above

You can see the synch speed by going to the Advanced settings->Troubleshooting->Helpdesk tab on your router

Connect to the router 192.168.1.254 , click advanced settings , enter the admin password ( its on the card on the back of  the router ) , click Troubleshooting , click Helpdesk . That will give you a screen of information , Line 6 is the downstream and upstream data rate ( synch speed )

diomingyuli
Hooked

@MisterW
Thanks for the instruction. I just did following ur instruction and it shows on Line 6 that 'Data rate: 10085/37697'. Does that mean the upload speed is 10.085 Mbs and the download speed is 37.697Mbs?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@diomingyuli  Yes, that's exactly what it means and the problem is that download speed is ever so slightly above your MGals of 36.4 Mbps that you quoted in your first post. With the download speed PlusNet are not going to get BT Openreach to accept a speed fault.

Have you tried with the router connected to the test socket ?

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @diomingyuli.

Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@diomingyuli 

From these results there is no point in you paying for fibre extra as your line cannot support it. Even if it does improve with training the increase will not justify you paying for the 80/20 connection that you are on. You might as well save some money and ask if for this reason you can be downgraded to the standard 40/10 Fibre service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'