Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed degraded to 5Mbps, connection prior to master socket in need of update

carlwinkle
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Speed degraded to 5Mbps, connection prior to master socket in need of update

The connection to my master socket appears to date from the 1930's (same age as the house) when my fibre was first installed the engineer commented that it should be replaced but that was the last i heard of it, my DL speed has been reasonably stable at around 65Mbps for about 2 years, however recently it's degraded to 5Mbps, my ul is still around 15Mbps.

In the attached picture i;ve taken off the cover, but either way i'm pretty sure a better connection can be established in this day and age, the master socket (not shown) is also incredibly dated.

I posted this here just to include a picture rather than go down the telephone/live chat route.

4 REPLIES 4
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Speed degraded to 5Mbps, connection prior to master socket in need of update

Hi there,

It's hard to tell what's going on from that photo but we can arrange for a socket to be replaced, this is quite costly at £160.

With regards to connection speeds I don't think the socket is affecting you. My reasoning is that broadband diagnostics show a speed profile of 64mbps so I'm wondering if WiFi is the culprit. If you do connect wirelessly I'd take a look here:

https://goo.gl/bYS51o

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
carlwinkle
Dabbler

Re: Speed degraded to 5Mbps, connection prior to master socket in need of update

I'll try and take a clearer picture, however it is not the master socket rather than a junction box just inside the front door that runs to the mastersocket. My understanding was that the line up to the mastersocket was the responsibility of BT/Plusnet?

Whilst my speed profile may well be 64Mbps that's not the speed i've receiving any longer, i have a wired connection via cat5 cable and my speed has been consistent for the last 2 years, i suspect the junction box to be at fault simply because it's so old, there's a mass of unconnected cable in there for one.

Here's a picture of a similar junction box thats clearer: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTAxWDE2MDA=/z/ZpUAAOSw7ehXTFzi/$_1.JPG

it's hardly new tech.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I'd recommend raising this at https://faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
carlwinkle
Dabbler

I've reported the fault there, thanks.