Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed decrease after signing for a new contract

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Speed decrease after signing for a new contract

@kwikfix @jab1  Just trawled through a lot of posts in this thread with the general conclusion that your speeds are poor, as you have said even fibre extra will not give you much, perhaps up to about 50Mbps but you seem to be stuck at a low speed, possibly the line has been banded at a low speed for some reason.

The best thing to do is forget FTTC and order a full fibre direct to your house FTTP service which is available to you, the magic words "WBC FTTP" are present in the BT Wholesale checker. Speeds up to 1000Mbps, you don't have to go for the highest speeds, 80/20 products are available for a similar price to FTTC.😀

The slight problem is that at the moment Plusnet do not offer FTTP although they are threatening to do so quite soon, was supposed to this last summer, then autumn now maybe early next year, so slipping a bit. Plusnet will let you leave with no penalty if you move to BT or EE FTTP broadband so unless you really want to stay with Plusnet just leave ASAP, there seem to be some good Black Friday deals coming up. 

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Good Morning @kwikfix, thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry for the issues with your speed.

It looks like some amendments were required on the account, I've now put these through for you so can you please reboot your router and run a new Ethernet test to see how things are. Can you let us know how you get on?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
kwikfix
Grafter

Thank you Lauren, I have just restarted and tested & looks like I'm getting the 29mbps I was getting prior to my contract sign up.

Although this is partly good news I am seeing no increase & essentially having taken out a higher rated plan that after 12 months will vastly increase in cost for no apparent speed increase.

In conclusion I may as well have opted for the much cheaper plan offer to get the same speed service?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@kwikfix  If you want better speeds you will have to change to FTTP as I stated previously, you can wait for Plusnet to supply it with a vague timescale staying on your unreliable low speed service or you can move to BT or EE FTTP Broadband and leave your Plusnet contract with no early leaving penalties, if I could get FTTP I wouldn't think twice about it.

kwikfix
Grafter

I would be much happier if I was getting what is claimed here Wink

Your broadband service

• Product: Unlimited Fibre Extra
  • Estimated Download Range: 31 - 46Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 6 - 9Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 29.4Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 78Mbps
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

I bet you would, @kwikfix 😀, but I'd be amazed if you did. A 'system error' will probably be blamed for that.

John
kwikfix
Grafter

It's all really bizarre John.

Pay an additional fee for fibre plus, get a reduced speed then get told someone did not update my settings.

My account tells me I'm getting 78mbs but clearly not the case.

In taking up this limited offer the small print show a huge increase in cost after 12 months.

jab1
Legend

According to the BT Wholesale page yo uploaded earlier, you could theoretically only get around 51Mbps max anyway, so that 78 is a total load of rubbish.

If you can get FTTP (with any provider) at the end of this contract, I'd take it - although did I see somewhere that you could already get it?

John
kwikfix
Grafter

John I'm not sure about being able to take up any new contract as I have only just taken this one on. I wouldn't mind getting over 50mbps as at least that would be an improvement. My biggest gripe is that I have been lured into this 18 month contract & so far see no benefit so what even is Fibre plus if it's no difference?

jab1
Legend

FTTP (if available is a totally different technology - it delivers what it says on the tin as it doesn't rely on the copper circuits at all. If your area is cabled up for it, BT/EE should be able to provide it, and if you went to either of those companies, you wouldn't be subject to termination fees from PN.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@jab1  See my post - message #31 in this thread, FTTP is available , I have twice stated that he could switch to BT or EE FTTP with no penalty charges but doesn't seem to have grasped that it would be a good thing.

@kwikfix  Don't be misled by the Plusnet  My Broadband Speed figures, none of them are real speeds, the estimates are just  based on expected speeds for your line, the Minimum Guaranteed Speed is a value a bit below the low estimate.

The Current Line Speed is not what is says it is and is not actually a speed at all but an Internal Profile that can set your maximum throughput speed, for customers who have paid for a static WAN IP address. It is meant to track the BT IP profile but can be set wrong and not update correctly. For most customers it has no effect, so has no relation to the speed you should be getting.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @kwikfix

I'm really sorry to see you've had speed issues after renewing your contract with us.

From what I can see the renewal had for some reason automatically set the profile (current line speed) at our end to 21mbps. Lauren increased this to the maximum it goes to of 78mbps though that'd just mean your throughput isn't restricted by anything on your account as this wouldn't change the actual speed your router is in sync at.

I've updated this to the correct level now of 31mbps matching the supplier IP profile, as your router is in sync at 32398kbps.  

Upon further investigation, I've tested your line and I can see your speed is artificially restricted at this level by automated software at the cabinet (the green box in the road) which the tests aren't showing the cause of, so I've arrange for your line to be reset and you should hopefully see a higher speed within 3 working days.

Can you let me know how it goes? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
kwikfix
Grafter

Thank you I will certainly keep checking over the next few days & hopefully see an increase.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sounds like a plan @kwikfix

Keep us posted Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
kwikfix
Grafter

Ok so we did see an increase over that few days, the reset of the line gave me another 10mbps which to be fair I can live with as we were getting an average 38 mps.

After a few weeks we get back to the same scenario. Can someone check if the line needs resetting or whatever was done to give me back my speed as i'm back to getting between 20-27 mbps.

thanks for any help.