Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed ceiling ?

FIXED
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Speed ceiling ?

Over the last few years I've been performing a speed check on a monthly basis. (Speedof.me)

Up to recent the speed check would fluctuate with spikes and troughs but always reported an average of ~25Mbps to ~27Mbps.

I've noticed a few websites taking a fraction longer to load and my most recent speed checks seem to be capping out at 23.5Mbps with no spikes.

Not a great problem under the grand scheme of things but I wonder if a quick check your end please.

I have rebooted the router a few times recently, not the modem, so you may see some breaks.

Let's be careful out there !
6 REPLIES 6
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Speed ceiling ?

Hiya @Kremmen, thanks for getting in touch. I am really sorry to hear you've seen a drop in speed recently.

I have tested your line and this shows a current sync of 23.2mb with no issues highlighted on the test at all.

Here's the drops we are seeing, are all of these reboots?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Fix

Thanks

Yes, those 5 reboots would be a mixture of a new firmware update for the Asus RT-AC68U router and me performing a follow up reboot, as recommended by Asus, then me changing my DNS addresses followed by a reboot to try and find a faster one.

DNSBench showed Plusnet 212.159.13.50 as the fastest so that's what I'm now on.

~23Mbps is what I'm seeing my end but has been between 25 and 27 for a few years.

Thanks for checking.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Kremmen 

Have you checked recently to see what speeds should be available?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I've also checked your connection and I can't see any issues. The estimated speed range for your line seems to be between 21.4mbps to 32.3mbps, so there's not much we can do in the way of a further investigation, but I'd recommend keeping an eye on things and let us know if you notice any further issues and we'll be happy to help. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Thanks again.

I've never had 31Mbps in all the time I've had fibre. As I said it normally fluctuates between 25 and 27 in the main.

You're estimate confirms the page in the link provided.

My issue is that I'm on an aluminium phone line estate.

When the engineer first installed it he took readings from various places, he was really good. Upon initial installation, many many moons ago, the figures he had were :

58Mbps being pushed out of the fibre cabinet.
26Mbps being received at my local 100 connection pavement cabinet on a 800 metre ally cable.
20Mbps being received at the pavement box immediately outside my house also ally from the 100 box (100 metres).
19Mbps being received at my master socket (copper line to house)

Over time DLM has allowed it to rise to the 25~27 figures quoted.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for the explanation @Kremmen

Fingers crossed FTTP comes to your area soon as it sounds like it can definitely do with it!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet