cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed below minimum acceptable download speed when upgraded from fibre to fibre extra

FIXED
misterken
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Speed below minimum acceptable download speed when upgraded from fibre to fibre extra

Just upgraded from standard fibre to fibre extra in last couple of weeks.  All speedchecks show i am only getting about 38Mb, minimum acceptable speed is 44.  Attached bt wholesale report. 

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Speed below minimum acceptable download speed when upgraded from fibre to fibre extra

@misterken   Welcome to the forum.

The inevitable first question has to be how you are measuring speed? The hub must be connected to your master socket, not extensions, and you must use a computer connected to the hub via an Ethernet cable, not wireless.

If the speed is low in this configuration then take the front off your BT master socket, you may need to remove two screws, to access the test socket. Plug a wired phone into the test socket and dial 17070 followed by option 2, the quiet line test. It there's any noise then report a phone not broadband fault.

If that's OK then connect your hub to the test socket via a filter and repeat the wired speed test. If that's still low then report a fault to Plusnet.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

misterken
Hooked

Re: Speed below minimum acceptable download speed when upgraded from fibre to fibre extra

Baldrick1

Thanks for the info.  Its connected direct to master socket.  I have no ethernet cable handy at the moment but ill try that when i get one. Its been about 2 weeks since i ordered the upgrade.  Maybe it needs a while to settle down speedwise. 

Baldrick1

@misterken 

There was an Ethernet cable supplied with the hub.

Moderator and Customer

tol
Grafter

reporting a fault to plusnet entails a check, you can skip questions which do not apply, but you will have to accept to pay for an engineer visit if they can prove there is any hint of a cop out.  

In this case and my own, nothing has changed except for upgrade at the exchange, the router is plugged in to the master socket as it always was and download speed is slower than it was before the upgrade.

As in my case the OP acknowledges this is a recent upgrade and that there may be so settling time required... but how long?  I'm in second day after the upgrade, how long before things settle?

Fault Report Progress

• The first thing we need to do is check that your router is switched on.
    • On
  • Pick up one of your telephone handsets and listen for a few moments, what can you hear?
    • My phone line is fine
  • What's the problem?
    • Performance
  • As you're reporting a speed problem, the next few steps will help us to investigate this in more detail. However, your broadband speed may not improve for up to 72 hours after you've done these, so don't worry. First, please connect a different router to your line.
  • Please connect your router to the test socket.
  • Please connect a different microfilter to your line
  • Please run 3 speed tests. Ideally, your tests should be run at different times of the day. Try to run at least one test outside peak times. To run the tests go to: http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com
tol
Grafter

@misterken wrote:

Baldrick1

Thanks for the info.  Its connected direct to master socket.  I have no ethernet cable handy at the moment but ill try that when i get one. Its been about 2 weeks since i ordered the upgrade.  Maybe it needs a while to settle down speedwise. 

OK, so 2 weeks later and you still don't see any improvement.  There's me thinking 48 hours was long enough for settling time...

misterken
Hooked

Yes i know. Annoying to say the least.  They are moving my phone line as well from BT by 30th september.  So I don't know how that will go either. 

Baldrick1

@misterken 

Just because you have the same symptoms as @tol  don't assume that it's the same fault. It's possible that yours is an internal wiring or wireless problem, hence the suggested tests as both of these lie outside of the responsibility of Plusnet.

Moderator and Customer

WillF
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

Hi @misterken - Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will
 Plusnet Help Team
misterken
Hooked

Fix

Last night i ran 2 bt wholesale speedchecks at 7pm and 8pm.  Speeds were 55Mbs and 50Mbs.  So i will accept that and allow for the fact that speeds will fluctuate throughout the day.  So i will see the problem as fixed for now.  If it becomes a problem I will report the fault as you suggest.