cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed and stability with new fibre service

Thortung

Speed and stability with new fibre service

We transferred to fibre at the beginning of November. We're about 100m from the cabinet, so I opted for the 76/80Mbit service as we should be getting a good signal. To start with, we were getting download speeds of over 70M but this has now fallen dramatically, to a low 15 or lower at times. The service is also unreliable and mostly won't stay synched for more than an hour or so. Sometimes disconnection/reconnection occurs every few minutes.
The line speed tool currently shows a current line speed of 23M (attached), about 1/3 of what we were expecting.  I've tried using a combined router/modem (Draytek 2860ac) with no difference, other than the ability to see the actual sync speed directly, currently 22399kb/s down, 3200kb/s up.
I can't run the BT diagnostics, it just reports "The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."
Any ideas why our connection should be so slow and patchy?
Thanks
Paul

4 REPLIES 4
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Speed and stability with new fibre service

Our tests are showing there's a external fault on the line but at present we can't raise it as our suppliers systems are down for maintenance.
They're back up at 5 so I'll raise this for you then.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Thortung

Hi Matthew,
Any progress with this? I've been away for a few days and the connection speed is now 16494/3200 kbps
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

It's with our suppliers and a engineer should be going out in the next 24 to 48 hours.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Thortung

Hi Matthew
A guy from openreach has been here and replaced some of the external cabling, it's looking good so far. Thanks for your help