Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed and Profile Drop, Nothing wrong says Customer Service

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Speed and Profile Drop, Nothing wrong says Customer Service

Thank you @Buttercup  for the GEA Test which to my somewhat inexperienced eye looks to be a good result.

Thank you @Baldrick1 for having a look at the result and suggesting to Buttercup that PlusNet arrange a reset on my apparently banded connection. I confirm that I am on Fibre Unlimited Extra. I really appreciate your taking an interest.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

@dws1900 Thank you for taking a look at the results of my GEA test and highlighting it to @Baldrick1, your input is much appreciated.

Being no expert I thought the results of the GEA test were good, very good even with no Crosstalk detected. I can see no reason why I have been slowed down but my profile has been lowered.

I'm not sure if it has any bearing but when I went out this afternoon there were 3 Openreach Vans around my Cabinet (800metres up the road) and another two Openreach Vans at another cabinet on the other side of the village. There was an Openreach OH platform extended over my cabinet which seems odd as all the cabling is underground there and remains so until it reaches a roadside pole outside my property.

A speedcheck on Ookla shows no speed improvement. I have not reset my Hub and didn't suppose there was any point.

Thanks again for taking an interest.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@danludlow 

Glad you are hopefully on the way to getting the issue resolved.

It is a shame that this was not picked up earlier.

I have had a similar episodes where the blindingly obvious was presented as evidence, to be totally ignored by the ISP (PN & another)

While I appreciate that PN may be regarded as a 'cheap' option and better service may be obtained with other ISP's, the fact is the lines, dsalm, exchange, backhaul equipment for VDSL/FTTC are the same for all ISP's, and are the responsibility of Openreach, a BT company and BT itself.

Therefore the only reason I can think that other ISP's have a better record of dealings with Openreach is that the more expensive ISP's are on a different deal re support.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Given the OP is 843M from the cabinet, I do wonder if they would not be better sticking to 40/10?

I am sure a DLP reset will improve speeds for a while, but they do not seem to be sustainable.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

@dws1900 That's interesting.

I wondered if PN being an off shoot of BT didn't have the clout that an independent might when putting pressure on BT or Openreach. It seems that it's the support package which is obviously added to the the cost. If PN had a premium service option with better engineering support and faster customer service response I'd jump at it. We can but hope.

I have been with PN for a long time, I tend to be loyal to suppliers unless they let me down and I feel that it was deliberate.  I would be reluctant to change and from what you say much of PN speed issues are not their fault other than perhaps they could pick up faults better or sooner.

I hope the PN will be offering FTTP before long. It stands to reason that this will increasingly be the future for broadband and all ISP's will offer it. Presumably FTTP equipment works or it doesn't, there is no slowing down. I suspect that also the equipment is very reliable and the number of engineers needed to maintain it considerably less than needed for FTTC.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

@Mustrum  TBH I wonder the same. It's a hell of  distance to get fast speeds. In its time I have seen 58Mbps (not for long, days only) but we had a long spell at 54Mbps A BT Engineer took it up with the Technical department who said it should be impossible but admitted it was holding it.  I was on a very clean connection on a new board (No 2 board recently added) with ports still free on No 1 board, it was a bit experimental and the Engineer was constrained by a list of jobs to do. He was a more technical follow up to 3 engineer visits that hadn't sorted a fault at the time. 

If I was PN I would buy the 50/20 service for my connection over the 80/20 (or is it 50/10?) It would save some money at wholesale prices and I can't see that it would make much difference to me I think 50Mbps constantly is wishful thinking at my range without better technology. I would hope to be able to get maybe 45Mbps sustainable down, and possibly 10Mbps sustainable Up. Faster Up for choice as I back up to a Cloud based backup service and run several separate backups. (I also back up locally to External HDD's. Belt and Braces.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@danludlow 

Re FTTP, it is OR's intention to remove all copper circuits by 2025, reducing the maintenance costs and selling the copper (and aluminium).

Therefore all ISP's will have no option but to offer FTTP.

However the issues of equipment failures, congested backhauls and utility companies digging up a fibre optic cable will not go away. The throughput speed will be lower if there is congestion or slow servers at the other end.

Providers of entertainment services need to be looking now at the issue of higher data rates.

I migrated from my previous ISP as they charged extra for a service I did not wish to take up, PN was a reasonable price for my sub Superfast (24Mbs) service (5Mbs faster than ADSL).

I could go with a more expensive solution (+10 pounds approx), but the speed would not improve.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

@Buttercup@Baldrick1 

Thanks Buttercup, much appreciated. 

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

@dws1900 

Very Interesting, thanks for your reply.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

@Buttercup @Baldrick1 @dws1900 @Mustrum 

I ran an Ookla Speedtest this morning and speed seems to have deteriorated overnight so I ran a BTW Performance Test and that indicated the same, speed seems to be falling off.

The GEA test results suggested to me that the line is in reasonable fettle, even good fettle?

That suggests to me that something is deteriorating other than the cable, and to me that means either at my end, perhaps my router? or  perhaps in the Cabinet I'm attached to. I'm guessing the cabinet. In the past I had to be moved to another port because mine had failed after a thunderstorm. We haven't had close thunderstorms recently but we did have some 3 miles away about 4 weeks ago (distance timed by flash to bang, 5 seconds a mile).

Just a thought. 

Still hoping to see if DLM reset makes a difference when it's actioned.

I have attached this morning's BTW test result.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@danludlow 

Have you tried a router reset by pushing a paperclip or similar in the reset hole and keeping the switch closed for at least 25 seconds? It may take many minutes to reset and re-establlish a connection.

The other thing is to log into your router advanced settinghs and check that the synch speed is deteriorating as well as your connection speed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

@Baldrick1  Thanks for your reply, No I haven't reset the Router although I did a remote restart through it's settings. The Sync Speed appears to be deteriorating too. 

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

@Baldrick1 I have reset my hub as you suggested, there seems an improvement in connected speed but no increase in my download speed. The requested DLM reset has either not happened yet or been ineffective. @Buttercup 

I attach router data from today and again the data from 15th Sept for comparison. 

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

@Buttercup @Baldrick1 @dws1900 @Mustrum 

Further to my last Post I checked Broadband availability on my line with BTO (?)

It seems to suggest that I should have a minimum line rate of 40 Mbps on a good line and 35Mbps on an Impacted line which is faster than the minimum 30Mbps quoted on my contract, a figure well below "expected" When I signed up.

It also suggests (unless I'm reading it wrongly) that FTTP is available on demand? When I have put my number on the BT site checking to see if FTTP is available, it tells me it isn't. Is it possible that BT records are incorrect and that FTTP is available?

Asking for a friend. ^-)

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

FTTP on Demand is a business and expensive product. So yes you could get it, but are you prepared to pay the thousands for it to be installed?

Save yourself a fiver, and just come down to the basic fibre product. Your upload speed is less than 10 so despite your earlier post about wanting the Extra for your backups,, you can't.