Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed and Profile Drop, Nothing wrong says Customer Service

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Speed and Profile Drop, Nothing wrong says Customer Service

@Buttercup There's been an improvement today! Profile and connected speed both up nearly 2Mbps. I guess that i spoke too soon WRT Reset of DLM.

Feeling happier and hoping for better to come.

Thanks for you help.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

I spoke too soon assuming taht it was on the mend.

Slower again this morning and still testing slow this evening on BTW Performance Tester.

Helpdesk data from My PlusNet Hub One suggests That I should be connected at faster speeds if I read it right.

Could my connection in the Cabinet be faulty, or could it be that my Hub One is playing up?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@minted 

re I can assure you 100% they have no intention of removing all copper (or probably any copper) by 2025.

Please provide a link to the document that your statement is true.

minted
Dabbler

How can i give a link to a document for something that isn't happening?

You're in a dream land.

OpenReach intend on switching off PSTN in 2025.
They will continue to sell ADSL, FTTC and G.Fast with the responsibility for phone calls switching to the ISP via VOIP.

Their FTTP coverage target is roughly 20 Million properties by "mid to late 2020's".
That isn't the whole country.

Have a read of this ISPReview article from 3 days ago.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/10/openreach-add-51-areas-to-the-copper-phone-to-fttp-mig...

That's them adding 51 exchanges to their copper to fibre migration plan. They had previously listed 118 exchanges.

Once these exchanges reach 75% FTTP coverage (expected to take 2 years) OpenReach will start a "no move back" policy for those on FTTP meaning they can't go back to a copper services.
2 to 3 years after that they will remove copper services from sale in these exchanges BUT only for those who have FTTP.

So even on these 51 exchanges they won't trigger the "no go back" for 2 years, then a further 2-3 years till they stop selling copper services for anyone with FTTP available.

That's only 169 exchanges so far on this programme.
A fraction of the entire country.

But yes, OpenReach will magically have everyone on full fibre by 2025 and will just rip all that copper up.
Keep telling yourself that.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

This Morning, almost 2 months to the day that I posted this, I saw that overnight speed had suddenly increased by 2.5Mbps, the first movement upwards in two months. It's refreshing to know that this is still possible, I'd like to know what brought it about but I don't suppose I ever will.

Hoping that it stays faster now. As luck would have it We had a two hour power cut today locally as a new pole has been installed, Cables and equipment had to be transferred from the old one that had split after an altercation with a tractor. hoping that DLM doesn't kick in.